Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any expats living in Montenego?

Any expats living in Montenego?

Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

Originally Posted by JenniferIa
Thanks to whichever admin removed my phone number :-)...Nikky, if you'd like to get a hold of me, just send me a message by clicking on my username. Jenn
No problem, better to be safe than sorry.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

tran333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying somewhere on the coast in Montenegro with the idea of using it for holidays to start with and then hopefully moving out there. Anyone got any experience ? I'm new to this and a bit naive. Can anyone recommend an estate agent over there. Any info would be appreciated. I'm in love with the place and don't want to let my enthusiasm cloud my judgement !
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:05 pm
World Citizen

Nykky is an unknown quantity at this point

My best advice would be, if you are determined to buy here, do it ASAP! The prices rise weekly, and there are a lot of new developments occuring in the near future. Which of course will only push prices up further.

The estate agents are pretty much all alike. You might struggle with their very pushy approach, including telling you what you really want rather than what you tell them. And my husband speaks Serbian!

My other advice is to find a trusted translator, and try to locate the actual owner of the property. Agents often add a chunk to the seller's price (that's on top of their commission).

Are you looking for an apartment or house?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like sensible advice. We are looking for an apartment really. Have been shown an off-plan apartment by Monteprop - but at the moment the building hasn't started and - considering how much money we have to put up front - we are beginning to have cold feet, and wondering if it would be safer to go for something already built, even if it does cost a bit more. I know what you mean about prices though. Trouble is we can't afford to go out there again now until after christmas. Have you had any experience of Monteprop or heard of anyone else who has ? How long have you been out there ?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Cathy Mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tran333
Hi, I'm thinking of buying somewhere on the coast in Montenegro with the idea of using it for holidays to start with and then hopefully moving out there. Anyone got any experience ? I'm new to this and a bit naive. Can anyone recommend an estate agent over there. Any info would be appreciated. I'm in love with the place and don't want to let my enthusiasm cloud my judgement !
Hi there...I have just joined this site....I have been to Montenegro 18 times this year and also love the place. I have come across MonteProp but personally I gave up with estate agents...they all appear to be the same and bought my own land, through some contacts I made. I am just going through the planning process. I will be living out there almost full time from early part of next year....and it would be nice to start making some friends....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:57 am
World Citizen

Hi both,

tran33 - It's difficult to say really. The coveted new apartments being built, such as very near the water, are often sold before they have even started. There is a set of aprtments being built right across the road from us and hubby discovered they are all already sold.

However, you do hear about developers running out of money, and we drive passed sites that looked abandoned. I guess off-plan is always a risk. Me personally, I would probably like to see a 1/2 completed project. Hubby says if it's a large established firm, it should be less riskier. And like I indicated, the off-plan ones are selling like hotcakes.

Hubby has dealt with dozens of agents but doesn't recall Monteprop. Do you know where they are based?

Cathy -
wow, 18 times!

Yep, if you can manage that, finding contacts, it's a great way to go. As long as of course, you trust the contacts!
But it's much more difficult to locate an owner when it comes to apartments.

Whereabouts is your land? How's the planning process going? We've heard it's horrendous and pricey. We're buying out in the sticks to by-pass that process.

Do you have kids, married, dogs? lol
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

Hey Nykky

The land I have bought is in Bijela - Herceq Novi end not over looking the shipyard...it is about 50 m from the sea and has great views...I am so excited!

I have done a lot of home work before commiting myself and although the planning procedure is complicated and lengthy I am confident! Have met some very nice people who are helping me....

I am out again on 25th Nov for 4 days just to speak with Architects etc....

Am single have 3 kids but kids are all grown up and doing their thing!...lost my little Shih Tzu this year so am wild and free! I am a property developer on a small scale here in the UK and looking for a new personal challenge.

Loved the country and the people the first time I went there....and yes I know it has it's problems...but I currently live in South East London...nuff said!
x
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:26 am
World Citizen

Hey lucky you, and good on you for being adventurous.

Well, you wouldn't be far from us at all (if we get this land we're after). Ours is in Baosici. Btw, I may have it wrong but I think they might get rid of that shipping yard. There's a 'exclusive' marina planned for somewhere around there.

Hey, everywhere has it's problems. It's all about what one accepts, tolerates, relishes. There's a couple here with a business who are also from London. He says he misses nothing about it (except cheese, lol).

At the moment I'm still in a sickly stage (15wks pregnant), but hope to start meeting human beings really soon.

all the best, and keep in touch via PM if you like.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nykky...will do...perhaps we can meet up for a coffee when I'm over?
Al the best...keep well
Cathy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nykky, I agree with you about needing to see at least some of the building before handing over money, and I think we have now abandoned the idea of off-plan as being too risky. Monteprop have a web site which states they have offices in most towns in Montenegro. ~We have seen the ones in Bar anbd Herceg-novi which are very small. We are now talking to Montenegro Property Links - who do have a British contact address as well as apparently contacts in Montenegro. I wish we could be brave like Cathy but at least for the time being have to continue to work to pay for dream home !
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:18 am
World Citizen

Default Re: Any expats living in Montenegro?

Cathy - that would be lovely.
We were invited to a bonfire night last night. A small group of Brits were getting together for some drinks for Nov 4th. Unfortunately it was incredibly windy and cold, and the dogs needed attention. lol

tran33 - It really depends on you, we're all different. I'm one of those semi-risk people. lol I wish you loads of luck.
DH says he must have come across that agent but just doesn't recall the name.

Did you mention if you've been out here? I know it can be a hassle with work, family, etc, but it makes an enormous difference getting a personal feel for the different areas. Igalo, Herceg Nivi, Kotor, Tivat - although all relatively near are very different.

I wish I could recommend a decent agent, but as I mentioned previously, they're all pretty much the same. Pm me me or post here whenever you like. I'm online regularly.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:24 am
World Citizen

Default Re: Any expats living in Montenegro?

Hi Borris, thanks for the input.

I sort of agree about new over old. Having said that, it totally depends on what the buyer is willing to commit to. Friends of ours bought an old apartment and renovated it. It's now worth 5 times what they laid out, in less than a year. It certainly isn't as flash as the new ones, but for a very small layout, they have a place by the sea (no sea view) and a great investment.

I would have to entirely disagree about owners not knowing about the market! LOL You can't walk the streets without hearing locals discussing their properties, with papers under their arms, and go up into the mountains, and a little old lady tending her goats can quote you the current market value of her land. Seriously! lol

Any intelligent buyer can shop around, talk to agents and locals, and work out what is reasonable or not. If they're not happy with agents, there are other options.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nykky, yes it looks like we might be out on the 17th of this m onth for a few days (fingers crossed). Not sure where we'll be staying - poss Herceg Novi - but hope to look at as many places as possible. Very exciting anyway. Will keep in touch, let me know if you know of any bargain apartments !!
Anne
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

BODGE71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tran333
Hiya tran333. you could try taking a look at the "Energoprojekt" website (the largest construction company in Serbia). they are building a lot of apartments + villa's in Herceg Novi at the moment right on the sea front. They are an excellent firm with very high building standards. The apartments aren't cheap though. Having said that, i'm sure that in 5/10 years time, you'll be glad you bought one.

Alternatively, a better website to look at is "Pluto Developments". They are building a variety of buildings in different locations around Kotor. I know they are using a good architect as they are using the same one as i am. So if you decide to do a newbuild i can recommend an architect to you.

As for estate agents, personally i would find an area that i like, then just walk around and ask the locals if they know anyone who is selling land/property. Alternatively, find someone who can translate for you and visit the local planning department. My experience has been that they tend to know from the grapevine, just about everyone local who is wantnig to sell land. And as Nykky said, you'll bypass the estate agents commission and his very naughty "add-on".

happy hunting.

P.S. If you meet a brash and crass Yorkshireman in Herceg Novi, then you'll know it's me, hehehehehe.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

BODGE71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nykky
Hey lucky you, and good on you for being adventurous.

Well, you wouldn't be far from us at all (if we get this land we're after). Ours is in Baosici. Btw, I may have it wrong but I think they might get rid of that shipping yard. There's a 'exclusive' marina planned for somewhere around there.

Hey, everywhere has it's problems. It's all about what one accepts, tolerates, relishes. There's a couple here with a business who are also from London. He says he misses nothing about it (except cheese, lol).

At the moment I'm still in a sickly stage (15wks pregnant), but hope to start meeting human beings really soon.

all the best, and keep in touch via PM if you like.
Hi Nykky. Teh couple from London with a business out there. It wouldn't be Black Mountain outdoor adventures would it. There was an article about them in the UK press. He was an advertising exec and she was a oil trader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.