Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any expats living in Montenego?

Any expats living in Montenego?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:32 am
World Citizen

Nykky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any expats living in Montenegro?

Originally Posted by TanyaN
No-one wants Montenegro turning into another Spain so maybe it's not such a bad thing if Brits are turned off buying here.
I just don't see this happening. It's an entirely different country with different qualities on offer. Unlike southern Spain, there is also a limit to how much you can build around the bay. And even down towards Budva, etc, a lot of mountains get in the way. This partly hikes up the prices.

Also, it's just no longer cheap. And there are plenty of young Serbians who have holiday homes there who aren't going anywhere. I think it has attracted a very different type of Brit, in general, much like on the Croatian coast when it was cheap.

But the prices have to level off, for everyone's sake. I would also hate to see Montenegrins sell up and leave the coast to foreigners. But that's more likely to happen than having too many Brits. So many of them are sitting on small goldmines. Even the rents are totally ridiculous (unless you know where to ask). It certainly doesn't have the cubic zirconian glow of Spain, lol.

IMHO, a mix of nationalities would be ideal, including a few more Brits. Nobody wants a Russian only/dominated coastline. Especially when a lot of the money is not legitimate.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:50 am
Just Joined

davieh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

Hi,
You're right, it would be best if there were a lot of different nationalities - not just Russians or Brits. Also I do hope the locals can keep their properties. Actually I do own a plot (with a stone ruin on it) 7 km inland but with a beautiful view of the coast and Bar. I know one British family with a holiday home on Lustica, a Norwegan in Herceg Novi and a South African couple with a home near Bar and an American in Bar and I've spoken to 3 or 4 Dutch people who own places around the Boka so I guess there is quite a mixture of nationalities. There did seem to be rather a concentration of Brits in Kotor and Herceg Novi though (perhaps just holidaymakers).
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:27 pm
World Citizen

Default Re: Any expats living in Montenegro?

Yes, lots of other Europeans look to CG as a holiday place. Herceg Novi is so full of locals and Serbian retirees/holidayers, that it's very Slavic. I actually think that places like Budva run the biggest risk of being ruined, as it's so beach orientated.

Friends of ours own a few apartment complexes on the bay, and by far their main clientele are Serbian holiday makers.

I think the local dominance with a cultural mix will remain for a long time still.

Are you planning to emmigrate or is it just a holiday spot?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I bought my plot as an investment really. I was thinking that I'd try to uptrade it to a place we could use during the summer - I'll see how that goes. But to be honest I'd really like to renovate it as it is in a beautiful quiet location and most of the properties in my budget seem very cramped and overlooked.
I thought about renovating it to rent out but it's looking like there's not enough of a market for now for that to be viable especially with the UK mortgage rates creeping up.
Holiday rentals are very reasonably priced at the moment, so when we visit Monte, we're happy to pay for a house/apartment. Will probably end up just sitting on it for and then repair it in 20 or so years time when I retire.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:18 pm
World Citizen

I would be inclined to do it now, whilst building regs are not as tight as they will inevitably become.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

TanyaN is on a distinguished road

You're right, it is better to have a mix of nationalities. The whole 'Balkan-on-Sea' image as my friend calls it needs to change to attract more Europeans. Budva has already been ruined and is now referred to as the Blackpool of the Balkans.

I'm a bit worried about this new constitution and the implication it will have on property ownership laws. I heard something on the radio news which I didn't properly catch about the possibility of confiscating land bought my foreigners. Very worrying developments even if they are only rumours.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:57 am
World Citizen

Anything is possible, but confiscating all the foreign owned land sounds extreme. So much is foreign owned, they'll have a civil war on their hands. lol We have friends in the legal/land departments, we're going to contact them and see what we can find out.

"The whole 'Balkan-on-Sea' image as my friend calls it needs to change"
Not sure I understand what that means exactly. Erm... it is a Balkan country.

I wouldn't go so far as saying that Budva is ruined. But I would'nt choose to holiday there myself. I do think the trend is towards total tack though, unfortunately.

Last edited by Nykky; Jul 25th 2007 at 10:03 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

TanyaN is on a distinguished road

The 'Balkan-on-Sea' I think is supposed to mean like those tacky seaside holiday resorts in the UK. It's that whole 'commie worker on holiay' image that lets the place down.

While the main road through Budva was closed for upgrading all the traffic was diverted around the back way. It's an absolute nightmare of apartment blocks all facing onto each other, no parking, no landscaping and just hideous. Even the locals say Budva is ruined.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:57 pm
World Citizen

The 'Balkan-on-Sea' I think is supposed to mean like those tacky seaside holiday resorts in the UK. It's that whole 'commie worker on holiay' image that lets the place down.
I understand the first part, but the commie bit has now confused me! lol Must be a British thing.

Even the locals say Budva is ruined.
That's rather fatalistic and pessimistic if they're all saying that. It's a matter of the government having stricter rules about developments, this goes for the bay area as well.

Anyway, every country needs 1 Blackpool. Just keep the bay beautiful I say!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm setting off tomorrow (by car) for Monte with my family for an extended family holiday (5 weeks - hooray ). We've got 7 days before we need to arrive so will try to see plenty on the way. Hope you all enjoy your summer
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:57 am
World Citizen

Enjoy yourselves!

Sounds like we'll be there at the same time. We'll be there around the 22nd.

Take plenty of sunscreen!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:19 am
Just Joined

JenniferIa is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone out there bought property or living in Montenegro?
Anyone interested in joining a playgroup?
I am a Canadian citizen, married with a 1-year old son living and working in Herceg Novi. It looks like we'll be here for the next 5 years before returning home and I'd really like for our son to make some English-speaking friends. The influx of Brits into this area is rising so I'm thinking there may be a few of you with young children in the same situation we're in. I would like to start a playgroup that meets in our home once a week (to start) for the kiddies to have some fun and the adults to speak some non-broken English. Although you Brits may think our form of English no better than "Serbglish" (ha!). I thought of running an ad in the local paper here but I figured I may get more response on the blogs. Looking forward to hearing from you! Jennifer from Canada
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:25 am
World Citizen

Hi there Jennifer,

Just wanted to say hi as we are also in Hercig Novi at the moment - Savina specifically. Just renting.

I 1st baby isn't due until next April, so we're not ready for a playgroup yet. But I'm certainly interested in making contact with other English speakers, as well as mums. Although, we intend on total obsorption into the culture, it's always nice to have others of similar language/culture around, and I would like our child to speak both languages.

How long have you been here? How many kids do you have? I've found the health care I've had so far to be excellent.

Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi there Nikky. We are living in Igalo and have one son, Joseph who is now 14 months and a great baby! We have a nanny for him during the days as we both work here and she's just wonderful. My husband also has a 21-year old son. He was here with us for a year but has now gone back to Canada. Congrats on your pregnancy. Savina is beautiful. We were living there when we first moved here and then came to Igalo. We have met a lot of other Moms here, a lot from Russia actually but no English-speaking Moms yet..you're the first ;-). Perhaps we could meet for coffee? My number is < SNIP > Looking forward to hearing from you. Kindest Regards, Jennifer

Not a good idea to post phone numbers on the web, they can email you by clicking on your username, then you can give it.

Last edited by jdr; Oct 11th 2007 at 6:34 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to whichever admin removed my phone number :-)...Nikky, if you'd like to get a hold of me, just send me a message by clicking on my username. Jenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.