Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Old Sep 20th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Originally Posted by motyl
Chris,

You must have signed the final contract by now?
Gail,

Yes, we've signed the final contract and done the handover of the keys etc. We're just waiting for the confirmation from the land registry that the names are changed and the agent will send us the money.

I see Březník on the map. I looks to be in a useful location - rural but with the facilities of a city nearby. Very brave to live in a place with a "ř" in the name! We once looked at a house in a location with one and, after many attempts at pronounciation, we concluded I would never be able to explain to anyone where I lived if we bought it! I think I could master "Březník" though.

We've been without the mulching mower for a couple of weeks after I broke it when I caught a rock. The shop said we should clear our lawn of all obstructions but that would be a major engineering job. We've got it back now and were hoping to do a final cut of the year this weekend but there was a big storm last night and everything is soaking wet today with more rain forecast.

Out next big event is a visit by my mother from the UK in two weeks. She is 85 and so this will be a fine effort on her behalf.

Chris
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cihadlo
IrishGuy

I saw your post but I refrained from replying as I hoped you'd get a Slovakia resident to answer.

All I can say is that a 1700 euro net salary would be a pretty good amount in the Czech Republic and Slovakia has a reputation for being cheaper. I suppose it also does depend on what sort of lifestyle you are expecting to have.

Chris
It is about Brno - so relevant perhaps to an earlier poster - rather than Slovakia, but the FT did a focus on Czech REpublic just last week - and in the Brno piece it said average salaries were €970 or some such. It's here

Investing in the Czech Republic

scroll down for the story.

Since Brno appears to be a go go city, €1,700 in Slovakia would seem to make you pretty well off - unless you want to live in the Bratislava Hilton.

HTH - H lFL
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

motyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

Hope your Mum has had a good time with you ? I expect she flew to the Czech Republic ? At 85 she´s done well to visit you.My Dad´s 80 and he wants to visit us ? ? when. As you can imagine we´re still busy,our house was bulit well but has been deglected over the years so there´s lots to do. Our neighbour told Standa that the previous owners were always cold in the Winter so Standa checked the roof space and it wasn´t insulated ! ! so that´s just been done.We now waiting for the double glazing guys to fit new windows and doors.We´ve got to fit a new kitchen and put down plavoucí flooring in three rooms,hopefully before Christmas.! ! !

Gail.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Gail

You have been busy! I can imagine the rush to get all the work done before winter sets in and makes further work impossible. We moved in to this place in November two years ago but, fortunately, all the important things had been done during a comprehensive reconstruction 5 or 6 years before; I think that the only thing we had done since was to have the chimney relined and a cowl put on the top to stop water getting down it.

Chris,

Hope your Mum has had a good time with you ? I expect she flew to the Czech Republic ? At 85 she´s done well to visit you.My Dad´s 80 and he wants to visit us ? ? when.
Her trip was fine. The weather wasn't brilliant but we did some good trips.

Mother used Leeds airport as it's the closest to her home that offers Prague as a destination but it was a good choice. It's a small and uncomplicated airport with few gates and short distances to walk. Prague, of course, is bigger but we got her checked-in, found the gate number, and told her to turn left after passport control.

You shouldn't delay inviting your father, if he's fit. Unfourtunately, things can change so quickly for elderly people as I found with my own father.

Chris
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to barge in again, but posted this in the other thread and just thought I'd update all you kind folks who gave me advice

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Just to give anyone who is interested an update...

I made the move here in mid September, my partner and daughter joining me a few weeks later. My employer helped us find a decent apartment, bit on the small side but a good starting point. E450 per month with all bills included, so we are happy enough with it.

Still saving towards a car, will probably wait until after Christmas at this stage, so it has been a bit of a drag been stuck in the same town for so long.

First impressions, I am happy enough. The job is going well, but communication is VERY difficult. Trying desperately to work on the language, but its been difficult. We are a bit off the beaten track, probably the only foreigners in the whole town, and not too many English speakers (which of course we knew already). Some restaurants here do have English menus (not sure why) so eating out is no problem. Cost of living, day to day things and the weekly grocery shop has been ok and affordable so far. No regrets yet anyway, although it is early days. Priority is to work on the language, and get ourselves a car so we can begin to experience a bit more than just this one town.

Also at the moment, we are in the process of getting everything registered, letters from landlord, contracts etc, bit of a pain but has to be done

Anyway

Thank you all for the advice, was a big help in us reaching a decision...
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Trying desperately to work on the language, but its been difficult. We are a bit off the beaten track, probably the only foreigners in the whole town, and not too many English speakers (which of course we knew already). :
The Slovak language is supposed to be very similar to Czech and so I can fully understand your difficulty! I have been learning Czech for nearly 4 years and I'm still struggling a lot. A good teacher makes a big difference and I wasted about 2 years with a poor one; fortunately, since then I have been lucky and all those who follwed have been excellent. I know a small number of British ex-pats and I wouldn't say that any of them had excellent Czech but they manage to "get by".

I have a Czech partner and so I have a route to interacting with the various authorities. I must be very difficult for you but you'll probably pick up the language much more quickly than I have.

Chris
Old Dec 8th 2014, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Chris,

We´re still working like crazy but we´re getting there slowly but surely.Standa´s nearly finished the tiling in the kitchen and we should have the new kitchen fitted on the 15th .We´ve found a really good klempíř who´s doing various important jobs on the house and out building at the moment.

I "took on board" what you said about inviting Dad over while he´s still healthy.He knows he´s welcome any time but wants to visit in the Spring,(his choice).I expect he´ll fly from Stanstead to Brno,as my sister did when she visited us in the Summer.Brno is a really cute airport and very well organized and of course now we´ve moved from the edge of the Czech Republic to where we are now we can get to the airport in under an hour on the motorway which is great.

What are you doing for Christmas,staying here or going to England ?

Gail
Old Dec 8th 2014, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Irish guy,

Great to read your update and hear how you are settling in to your new life.Hope you have a car now as that will make life a bit easier for you and your family.

As to the language,it really will take time to pick up.I know it´s a hard way to learn but if you are among Slovaks who don´t speak English you´ll pick up the language much quicker.As Chris said a good teacher is a great help.I must say I´ve never had lessons but over the years have just tried to speak as much as I can.I used to really worry about my grammatical mistakes (which can make you shy to talk) but I then I found that the person I was talking to would often correct me ,in a helpful way ,but I realize I´ll be learnig the language all life and still never get it totally "right".

Are you having Christmas in Slovakia?

Hope to hear from you from time to time with how your life takes shape

Gail
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Gail,

It sounds like you have been really busy! It's probably a good thing for your building work that winter has been mild so far - the mildest since I arrived without a doubt.

I'm pleased to hear your father plans to visit in the Spring - did he visit you in your old place? My mother is saying she will come again in May - I think the main attraction is all our cats rather than me! We've got Prague Airport about 75 minutes away - Dresden is nearer but has very little in the way of useful destinations.

I'll be staying in the Czech Republic for Chrstmas - I don't have much reason to visit England. My sister and family are also expats and live in Australia.

For Christmas we do a mix of Czech and British traditions. We keep Christmas Eve as the main day. Chlebicky for lunch and those funny Czech Christmas biscuits; Eva is baking them now. Roast chicken for dinner - with no carp, rizek or vina klobasa in sight! Potato salad, sproats, roast parnips and potatoes. At least, we'll have the parsnips if we can get some as it difficult here - some of the ones I grew are still in the ground if I can find them. Otherwise, we'll substitute roast parsley root. Tesco Finest chicken gravy. We usually have Christmas pudding available but rarely have the stomach left to eat it!

What do you do?

Chris
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Chris,

Hope you had a good Christmas ? and that you eventually found "room "for the Chrismas pud ! ! We had (as usual) a traditional Czech Christmas but due to the fact that the new kitchen wasn´t able to be fully completed,we actually bought cukrovy this year ,a first for us as we always make them and my daughters like perniky so we usually bake them as well.We all got together to prepare the bramborry salat which I really do like.I never really miss much in the way of food since I´ve lived here but I do miss Christmas Pudding,did you buy yours here or did your Mum bring one over for you ? ?

We actually have a few cms of snow at the moment and the temperature has been going down to around - 6 or 7°c over the last couple of nights but it´s still a great improvement from where we were living before, for most of the Winters we had a metre to a metre and a half of snow ! ! Despite the cold wind we go walking with our dogs
regularly.

For now have a Happy,Healthy and Peaceful New Year

Gail.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Gail

Happy New Year

Christmas and New Year were fine. There was no snow on the ground on Christmas Day but it started snowing hard the next day. After two days, we probably had more snow on the ground than at any other time since we've moved here but now it is in retreat - it's a big slushy mess outside.

I found that we had two Christmas puddings in stock but we did not have the inclination to eat them at the end of the feast. I think it was last year that I gave a small Christmas pudding to one of my Czech teachers and explained that it must be one of the most filling foods known to man - the small pud would probably be enough for 4 people. In the New Year, Veronika told me that she had fed 8 people with it!

I've usually managed to buy Christmas puddings and cakes in Marks & Spencers in Prague. We went after Christmas, hoping to find them at reduced price, but they had none at all. Still, it was a good trip.

I guess it will be back to renovation work for you now we are in the New Year? I have two business trips to Egypt soon that I'm not particularly looking forward too and Eva will be going during some of the weeks when I'm not there.

Chris
Old Jan 11th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

brightlearning is an unknown quantity at this point

Bright Learing Academy offers high caliber of learning and training for individuals seeking British Citizenship, Driving and Security Licenses. Choose from a vast range of courses.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Irish guy,

Great to read your update and hear how you are settling in to your new life.Hope you have a car now as that will make life a bit easier for you and your family.

As to the language,it really will take time to pick up.I know it´s a hard way to learn but if you are among Slovaks who don´t speak English you´ll pick up the language much quicker.As Chris said a good teacher is a great help.I must say I´ve never had lessons but over the years have just tried to speak as much as I can.I used to really worry about my grammatical mistakes (which can make you shy to talk) but I then I found that the person I was talking to would often correct me ,in a helpful way ,but I realize I´ll be learnig the language all life and still never get it totally "right".

Are you having Christmas in Slovakia?

Hope to hear from you from time to time with how your life takes shape

Gail
Hi Gail,

Not been on here in a while. We went home for Christmas but have been back in SK since 12th January. Settled back in fine after Christmas, it was actually nice to get back here and back to normality and our own life again.

Still no car but hoping to get one before the end of the month. Going to start calling to some garages next week and see what is available. We have used public transport a few times to get to Trnava which was fine actually. We were a little worried about how it would go but there wasn't any problems.

Hoping to start lessons soon too, our landlord has offered to fix us up with some one to help us get started, so see how that goes. I have been warned the grammar is the most difficult part, but we will see how it goes!

Just wishing this snow would disappear and we can get back to some degree of normality!

Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year

Shane
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Chris,

Next Christmas I´ll certainly head for Marks and Spencers in Brno and buy some Christmas puds ! !
I expect you´ve already been to Egypt by now ,hope all went well for you.I know you said they were business trips but did you get a chance to take "time out "for yourself while you were there ? I must say it was a pity you and Eva couldn´t go together. However it must have been nice to have a bit of warmer weather ! ! !

Talking of weather ,we´ve had a bit of snow today but I must say that the winter is much milder than where we lived before which is great. I had no problems driving when we had a metre to a metre and a half of snow because the roads were quite well looked after but where we live now ,it´s a much more populated area but the roads aren´t so well treated and infact if there´s a few cetimetres of snow the buses don´t run which we find very curious ! !

We are still continuing with our renovations ,infact the kitchen still isn´t finished but we had a phone call on Friday to say that the rest of the kitchen units had arrived so we should have them fitted sometime this coming week ! ! ! Then we´ll make a start on on our bedroom .Standa and I have done up so many places over the years but I think the older you get you want to get things done quicker ! ! at least thatˇs how I feel and I want to do as much as we can during the Winter months so that when the Spring comes we can "crack on" in the garden.

Gail
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Shane,

A bit belated but Happy New Year to you and your family.Good to hear that you settled back into life in SK after your Christmas visit home.Our Christmas was nice and as usual quiet and typically Czech ! ! ! New Year was the same.

Good luck with car hunting !! but it sounds good that you can use public transport to be able to "keep mobile" at least for now.

I´ll be very interested to hear how your lessons go.As I mentioned to you in a previous email the grammer is "the pits " but from my early days living here I´ve found that people are pleased that a foriegner is trying to learn their language ,I still make grammer mistakes and I think I always will but I just keep talking as and when I can.

The snow should go in a month or so ,I also don´t need the snow,where we live now we only have a few centimetres at times but where we lived before we used to have a metre to a metre and a half nearly every Winter and though I got used to the Winters over the years ,I was always pleased to see the Spring .

Gail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.