Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Gail

Things are definitely looking up with the sale of our spare house. We have two serious potential buyers. One needs a loan but is sufficiently serious to pay the fee to have the bank’s valuation survey done. The other one is in a short chain and is trying to get the money together for the deposit for the reservation contract. So, we have a race for it now! Hopefully, our optimism isn’t misplaced.

I’ve never been to Brno but it looks a nice city. In fact, except for a trip to the Adrspach park, I’ve not been anywhere to the east of Prague since 1975 when my father and I drove across Czechoslovakia to have a climbing holiday the Polish Tatra.

Chris
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

namyytoody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by motyl
I´m back again,had to answer the phone.You said that you have been visiting Poland for almost 20 years,have you mastered the language o.k ?You did make me laugh when you said how the Polish like garish colour schemes.We live in Czech Rep but on the Polish border and on our visits to Poland over the years we still marvel at the colours the Poles choose,If I remember,blue is quite popular particularly for roof tiles.! ! !

The location of your house sounds good as you said you are in the country but near civilisation.I expect you get snow in the Winter? I´m sure you will have a much more relaxed way of life when you move to Poland.

When do you hope to leave Surrey and move for good to Poland?

Gail
I lived in Poland for three years. I recommend you to move there. [B]Especially move to Krakow. Is nearest to Tatra Mountain, people are very nice (and many of them speak English). There is some special place: Zakrzowek. You can swim there and jump to the water if you like it. What more is tourist town: you can met some other people. You've got a lot of events.
The airport Balice is close. You can go back to your home And Musea..., e. g. the bigest Nazi Concentration Camp in the world Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Poland is amazing places to live :P
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread. I started one of my own a few days ago, but unfortunately have not had any replies. Myself and my wife are contemplating a move to Slovakia, with our 18 month old daughter. The town is about 50km from Bratislava.

I have little or no knowledge of the country or the cost of living. The money mentioned is about 1700 euros a month, does anyone have any idea if that's enough for a family of three to survive on? Also, any tips on the country or lifestyle would be appreciated

I realise I'm on the Czech thread and again, apologies for the hijacking (if people want to reply to my own thread that's be great). But just thought if take a chance that some of you guys might have some insight. If not, just ignore this post!

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

IrishGuy

I saw your post but I refrained from replying as I hoped you'd get a Slovakia resident to answer.

All I can say is that a 1700 euro net salary would be a pretty good amount in the Czech Republic and Slovakia has a reputation for being cheaper. I suppose it also does depend on what sort of lifestyle you are expecting to have.

Chris
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Chris,

Not expecting any grand lifestyle really, just to get by reasonably comfortably. Still struggling for information on the area/rental prices etc and things in general though! Guess I just was looking for some info to put my mind at ease a little!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

motyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

Sounds like things are really looking up re:the house sale ,good luck and hope you get a buyer soon.

We´ve just been away for a week house hunting.We started in Vyškov and from there worked our way around to Pohořelice then up to Náměšt nad Oslavou,where we found a nice house in a village about 6kms from the town. We agreed to a price and we are off to pay the deposit on Wednesday.So we are pleased but our house sale has certainly been slowed down because our buyers had to have a loan and that really does complicate things to say the least ! !
Gail
Old Jul 28th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuy,

Maybe you have now had replies from expats in Slovakia ,but if not please don´t feel you´re "hijacking".youŕe more than welcome to write here.As Chris said your net salary of 1,700 euros is good but I have heard that the cost of living is higher in Slovakia than the ČR.? ?

I´d be interested to hear how you get on and what you decide to do ,but if you and your wife feel right with the decision to move to Slovakia,then you should do it

Gail.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuy,

Maybe you have now had replies from expats in Slovakia ,but if not please don´t feel you´re "hijacking".youŕe more than welcome to write here.As Chris said your net salary of 1,700 euros is good but I have heard that the cost of living is higher in Slovakia than the ČR.? ?

I´d be interested to hear how you get on and what you decide to do ,but if you and your wife feel right with the decision to move to Slovakia,then you should do it

Gail.
Hi Gail,

Yes I have had some replies. Some from people who have not really given me glowing reviews of the country to be honest. But in my experience, a lot of it is what you make of it yourself.

We are probably going to go out for a few days near the end of the month, to have a look around and make a proper decision then. But at the moment, I am thinking it'll be worth a shot. A job is a job, and although it wasn't exactly the top country on my 'to do' list, a job is a job and I could think of (and probably been to) a lot worse!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

We agreed to a price and we are off to pay the deposit on Wednesday.
Gail,

Sounds like we will be both signing reservation contracts today! One of our interested parties has put down a deposit and signed a reservation contract and I'll sign it this morning. So it looks like we are at last on the way towards completion.

Chris
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi IrishGuy,

It´s probably good that you are going to visit Slovakia before you make a final decision,I look forward to hearing how your visit goes and what you decide to do Good Luck. I don´t believe that any country "has it all" and what country suites one person doesn´t have to suite another.Hopefully your visit will help you decide.

Gail.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Chris,

Great news you have also now got the reservation deposit and contract completed.We are now waiting to sign the final completion contract ,once our buyers solicitor has the deeds registered in the buyers names ,the final payment will be released then we will finalise the payment on our house purchase.The good news for us is that we will be able to move in while the "deeds" process goes through,as our girls need to start school.It´s great news for us as we had thought that we would have to rent a room in a local pension.

Gail.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Gail

We're very busy with getting the spare house ready to give it up. We're expecting to sign the final contract and do the hand-over next week. My partner has pointed out to me that this will be the first time in five years that we'll have our posessions in only one house! We've had three houses on two occassions and only just missed having four by a few months.

I guess you are either very busy or are having to be patient whilst you buyer's bank processes their loan application.

Chris
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Elena.Elena is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Hello. I am not sure that I post to the right thread/topic. But I haven't found any relative thread except for this one. I need a private English teacher for my 7 years old child for 2 hours daily to practice English (doing homework and playing different games):

Working time: Monday- Friday (5 days a week), from 16.30 till 18.30.
Fee: 300 Kc per hour (600 Kc daily)

In case anyone is interested, kindly give me a call to +420 603 749 631 (from 11.00 till 14.00, Prague time).
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Chris,

You must have signed the final contract by now ? hope all went well.We loaded our camper van and trailer ,with the "essential things" on Sunday the 30th,got as settled as we could then the girls went back to school on the 1st.Ria got to Brno with no problems and Kazi started her 9th class in the local school in Březník.We then had to drive back to Horní Lipka pack the last few bits and we had a lorry and helpers booked on Tuesday at 6am to move the rest of our furniture.The move went well and quick.We then had to drive back to Horní Lipka to officially hand over the keys on Wednesday,talk about working on "auto pilot".Anyway we got organized quite quickly and since moving in have been changing lights,decorating and doing some grass cutting.

I must say that it really is important to remember that if a buyer has to have a bank loan ,the whole "process" is really slow (frustrating for the sellars) and can be complicated.

I bet you and your partner are now busy organizing all your posessioms "under one roof ! ! "

Gail.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elena.Elena
Hello. I am not sure that I post to the right thread/topic. But I haven't found any relative thread except for this one.
Ahoj Eleno!

For something like this, you would be much better posting on expats.cz where there are many such requests and offers.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.