Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

for any brits buying or building

for any brits buying or building

Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

alex sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default for any brits buying or building

Hi, my name is Alex Sullivan i am already involed in expats moving abroad through my work as a currency broker, i am looking to start a new business with a friend and would appreciate any views.
my thought is to provide a service for brits abroad fitting kitchens but with a reputable, british fitter who would meet the client in the uk fly over and have the work done for when the client arrives. No language barriers, no delays and no PROBLEMS
any thoughts, advice etc would this be useful
Old Dec 29th 2005, 5:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for any brits buying or building

Originally Posted by alex sullivan
Hi, my name is Alex Sullivan i am already involed in expats moving abroad through my work as a currency broker, i am looking to start a new business with a friend and would appreciate any views.
my thought is to provide a service for brits abroad fitting kitchens but with a reputable, british fitter who would meet the client in the uk fly over and have the work done for when the client arrives. No language barriers, no delays and no PROBLEMS
Do you know anything about kitchen fitting in Spain, or even the Spanish manaƱa syndrome ?
"No language barriers, no delays and no PROBLEMS" yeah right
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:19 am
Just Joined

i am aware, and no language barrier thats the whole idea. The kitchen fitters live in england they see the client in england, buy the kitchen in england fly over and fit there is no need for local assitance thats the whole idea of it.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 8:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

i am aware, and no language barrier thats the whole idea. The kitchen fitters live in england they see the client in england, buy the kitchen in england fly over and fit there is no need for local assitance thats the whole idea of it.
So its guess the size, hardly a fitted kichen and dont say you are going by builders plans.

Cost of transport and flights, most people have marble worktops also.

Warrenties on appliances.

Wages and hotel costs.

Spanish tax man.

There is no way you are going to compete with local firms.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

were not there to compete with local firms, the idea is that i have heard alot of horror stories of brits using locals, so this is not a money issue its a quality issue
Old May 28th 2006, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Rik Lusby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is Rik Lusby, i have been fitting kitchens now for over 15 years starting with my training in Germany and i must say flying into the sun to earn my bread and butter sounds better than trying to cut and mitre worktops under a tarpaulin without getting electrocuted in sunny Scotland, if the price was right !
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:33 am
Just Joined

kitch-fit is an unknown quantity at this point

kitch-fit here...........I'm interested in working abroad.....contact me by clicking my username.

Last edited by jdr; Apr 1st 2007 at 8:58 am. Reason: removed email address to stop you getting spammed.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:21 am
Just Joined

thrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nice

Originally Posted by kitch-fit
kitch-fit here...........I'm interested in working abroad.....contact me by clicking my username.
hi i am in romania i work and live here,i also did kitchen fitting in the uk i am not sure how you would go about setting this up on a global basis but its got more holes in the plan than i would like to think of, an idea i have for you is to ok bring the workers out but get a local on your side first, and forget it in france i have a friend there and your guys would probably get into some real bother there for nicking local work..

anyone interested in working in romania in construction its possible as a lot of the romanians are working abroad LOL i have enough work here for me LOL

sure theres a market place for your idea ;-)
Old May 17th 2007, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

heath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really nice

Could'nt help but notice this discussion.

Having owned a successful kitchen business in the UK for several years prior to moving to Granada Province in Andalucia, I would think this service would only be of appeal to clients at the very top end of the market with top notch villas on the Costas.

Paying, let's say, even a half-decent kitchen fitter from the UK, to travel to Spain, putting him up for the duration of the fit, plus transporting all materials for the work, would be extremely expensive.

The idea actually sounds quite ludicrous given that every type of kitchen furniture, from flat-pack to hand-made bespoke cabinetry, can be sourced locally and far more cost effectively.

A great example for price comparisons - A friend of mine recently brought me a the latest copy of "25 Beautiful Kitchens" magazine, when visiting from the UK. I always have a look at some of the price guidelines in there and always baulk at the comparisons with prices here in Spain. For "Negro Absoluto" granite (absolute black), average prices shown were between 400 - 600 pounds sterling per linnear metre. Here, I have a supplier that does the same for 154 euros a linnear metre. Somewhat of a difference would'nt you say.

Now I myself work "autonomo" or self-employed, providing design, supply and installation of kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms within Granada Province and use locally sourced materials and for any additional labour I need for larger projects. I have been here for the last two years. The chap who posted this message originally is quite welcome to contact me for advice on the kitchen industry in Southern Spain, because what he's suggesting is actually riddled with numerous logistical problems, such as if an item is missing, how long it would take to get a replacement, or if there's a problem (assuming the work was guarenteed ) what the back-up or remedial service would be.

If you are going to promote something like this sort of service from the UK, perhaps to clients who have second homes in Spain, then to me it would be imperative to have contact with people actually "in-situ", for any work like this to run fluidly.

I find the service I provide to my clients is "complete", for the simple reason that I am involved throughout the project. I provide the measurements and designs, I organise and deal with manufacturers and suppliers, plus I install the products myself. Although I'm not an electrician, I have contacts who are readily available when I need them, Spanish or British.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

heath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really nice

were not there to compete with local firms, the idea is that i have heard alot of horror stories of brits using locals, so this is not a money issue its a quality issue

Just had to add to this comment...

The core of the problem of "Brits using locals" is more to do with the language barrier than the quality of the workmanship. I have actually had more problems with British "tradesmen" who claim to be experts in their particular field, but have actually only done a little DIY on their own properties and therefore think they are qualified to work on others. Living in Spain, I actually also hear and see more horror stories involving British "trademen" than I do of unsatisfactory work from "local", Spanish tradesmen.

Many Brits find it easier to have work done by other Brits because they can discuss what they need in their own native language. You will actually find on the Costas, many decent companies have English speaking staff to solve this problem. Most of us though that are based inland, have a good command of the Spanish language and therefore use Spanish tradesmen, who are actually qualified to do what they're supposed to do.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well they should try harder to use local Spanish tradespeople.

I halved the cost of building work on my property by using Spanish plumbers, electricians and plasterers.

Personally, and sorry to be negative, this idea is doomed from the start. The additional costs to come over here to fit a kitchen are just to prohibitive. As a previous poster said, it would have to be a very very big kitchen to warrant it.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

earlgrey77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heath1974
Could'nt help but notice this discussion.

Having owned a successful kitchen business in the UK for several years prior to moving to Granada Province in Andalucia, I would think this service would only be of appeal to clients at the very top end of the market with top notch villas on the Costas.

Paying, let's say, even a half-decent kitchen fitter from the UK, to travel to Spain, putting him up for the duration of the fit, plus transporting all materials for the work, would be extremely expensive.

The idea actually sounds quite ludicrous given that every type of kitchen furniture, from flat-pack to hand-made bespoke cabinetry, can be sourced locally and far more cost effectively.

A great example for price comparisons - A friend of mine recently brought me a the latest copy of "25 Beautiful Kitchens" magazine, when visiting from the UK. I always have a look at some of the price guidelines in there and always baulk at the comparisons with prices here in Spain. For "Negro Absoluto" granite (absolute black), average prices shown were between 400 - 600 pounds sterling per linnear metre. Here, I have a supplier that does the same for 154 euros a linnear metre. Somewhat of a difference would'nt you say.

Now I myself work "autonomo" or self-employed, providing design, supply and installation of kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms within Granada Province and use locally sourced materials and for any additional labour I need for larger projects. I have been here for the last two years. The chap who posted this message originally is quite welcome to contact me for advice on the kitchen industry in Southern Spain, because what he's suggesting is actually riddled with numerous logistical problems, such as if an item is missing, how long it would take to get a replacement, or if there's a problem (assuming the work was guarenteed ) what the back-up or remedial service would be.

If you are going to promote something like this sort of service from the UK, perhaps to clients who have second homes in Spain, then to me it would be imperative to have contact with people actually "in-situ", for any work like this to run fluidly.

I find the service I provide to my clients is "complete", for the simple reason that I am involved throughout the project. I provide the measurements and designs, I organise and deal with manufacturers and suppliers, plus I install the products myself. Although I'm not an electrician, I have contacts who are readily available when I need them, Spanish or British.
Hello

I've been reading the posts with interest particularly as I'm in the process of looking to fit a kitchen and furnish my newly built apartment on the Costa Tropica (close to Motril) and am wondering how best to do this. This is inten ded to be aholiday home as I work and live in the UK.

In terms of furnishing I was thinking of going to a number of big hypermarkets (Carrefour, Alcampo, Hipercor) plus some local stores.

If anyone could provide a list of the above store addresses in the wider area (around and between Malaga/ Granada/ Almeira) it would be greatly appreciated as it's quite difficult to search for online at least

I'm also having difficulty finding companies to provide competative (and not overly expensive) kitchen fitting quotes. Could anyone give me any leads? I've read the comments f rom Heath1974 and you could be what I'm looking for! Can I be blunt and ask would it possible for you to email me by clicking on my username as I'd like to get in contact and find out more about the above Hope you can reply very soon!

Last edited by jdr; May 26th 2007 at 9:19 pm. Reason: removed email address to stop you getting spammed