Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Antwerp - anyone living there?

Antwerp - anyone living there?

Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Antwerp - anyone living there?

Hi, about 25 years ago I used to live and work in Antwerp, found it a rather enjoyable place and very cheap for accommodation. Now I am fifty and thinking of semi-retiring there (running a small internet business) and wonder if it is worth a another look. Accommodation still seems quite reasonable compared to the UK, just wonder how it has changed over the years. Not so easy to jump over the channel to have a look as I am presently in Thailand. Any comments would be gratefully received!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

K4TY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Antwerp - anyone living there?

Originally Posted by britishbull
Hi, about 25 years ago I used to live and work in Antwerp, found it a rather enjoyable place and very cheap for accommodation. Now I am fifty and thinking of semi-retiring there (running a small internet business) and wonder if it is worth a another look. Accommodation still seems quite reasonable compared to the UK, just wonder how it has changed over the years. Not so easy to jump over the channel to have a look as I am presently in Thailand. Any comments would be gratefully received!
We're in Brussels, rather than Antwerp, but can say that property over here generally is still much better value for money than the UK. The quality of life here's great, excellent food and reasonably priced, cheap (reliable!) transport etc, and lots going on! We wouldn't go back to the UK...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road

Hey BritishBull,

I am just about to move about 15 mins north east of Leuven in a small village called Tielt in Tielt Winge, after 1 year of living in Leuven.

When asking about the areas (Antwerp is only approx 50kms from here) i was advised that Antwerp although nice, is high in immigrants from africa and asia and certain districts were no go areas late at night.

However, I do not know how true this is as i have never visited myself.

From what i have found, accommodation is still cheaper than the UK as well as food.

I came here for a 6 month trial period with work 1 year ago and now decided to settle.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live just over the border in NL and have visited Antwerpen plenty of times. For me it's far preferable to Brussels. Maybe it's because my Dutch is much better than my French but I find Antwerpenaars much friendlier and the place cleaner than Brussel.

Antwerpen does have a high morroccan population mainly concentrated in the Borgerhout area just north east of the city centre. There are some problems but I think they are fairly localised.

Anyway it's a pleasant place to be, tons of restaurants and beer is great... mmm Koninck!

Last edited by stoobee1; Aug 21st 2007 at 7:02 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that, De Konnich was my favourite beer back then, served in a kinda brandy glass!

Still in Thailand but have just sold my house in the UK so am kinda raring to go, if I can escape before various women here get wind of my new found wealth!