Reload this Page >

Advice on a small move with a Volkswagon LT35

Advice on a small move with a Volkswagon LT35

Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

dance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on a small move with a Volkswagon LT35

Hi,

I am hoping to make a ferry crossing very shortly on the DFDs Stavanger (Norway) - Newcastle (England) route to fetch 3/4 of the contents of a small apartment - things like storage boxes of clothes, DVDs, kitchen utensils. Two (used!) bicycles, a flatpacked desk...flatpacked IKEA chair etc.

I have recorded the van's dimensions (a Volkswagon LT35 of c.5m length and 2.6m height) accurately on the DFDS website. I ticked the box affirming that I am not using the ferry for commercial purposes.

Then after booking, I read the DFDS terms and conditions. They state:

(ii) Where you break these promises (or any of them) about the type of your vehicle or your use of the vehicle: -
that the vehicle itself is of a type normally (in our opinion) used as a passenger vehicle for private and personal use. In this respect, the following (without limitation) are deemed by us to be commercial vehicles: i.e. any vehicle of light- goods-vehicle revenue weight or above whether or not actually carrying commercial goods and/or whether or not being used for
a commercial purpose and including in any event (a) any tipper, drop-side and flat-bed trucks of any size or weight; (b) any panel or box vans; (c) any motor home used as part or in association with a business on tour or in any fixed location; and (d) any trailer attached to or towed by any such vehicles);
So then I phoned DFDS a couple of times (to get to speak to different people to check I was hearing company policy and not opinion) to find out if I needed to worry. Basically the response from the Norwegian side of DFDS was: we won't hassle you so long as you're not importing commercial goods. The British response was more along the lines of: you're probably fine but don't import too many 'big' items. Both sides said an inventory was necessary.

Can I appeal to the community for some first hand experience of this? Is it just a case of the legalese going all out to protect the company but the reality is that at the port they simply won't care? I appeal to people who've done smallish international moves with ferry companies and gone with the normal passenger arm of the company i.e. not cargo/freight.

MANY THANKS!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on a small move with a Volkswagon LT35

Well I've not used DFDS, but I've taken a 35 cwt Luton Van over and back loaded with furniture and effects and there was no problem.

I think they are just being careful about commercial companies booking vehicles at preferential passenger rates
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

McPoel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on a small move with a Volkswagon LT35

Originally Posted by dance
So then I phoned DFDS a couple of times (to get to speak to different people to check I was hearing company policy and not opinion) to find out if I needed to worry. Basically the response from the Norwegian side of DFDS was: we won't hassle you so long as you're not importing commercial goods. The British response was more along the lines of: you're probably fine but don't import too many 'big' items. Both sides said an inventory was necessary.
MANY THANKS!
Hi,

This seems always a tricky business with these companies. Norfolkline has the same vague passages in their terms & conditions. They usually go acc to the vehicle type (freight *vehicle* or passenger *vehicle). However, ferry companies are usually not authorised to check the vehicle inside (unless they suspect danger goods in it). Would send them an email and print it out before you go so you can produce something written in case they daubt it. Have already seen someone in Dunkerque paying a lot more just because he had a sprinter. Nobody checked what was in it. Guess an email printout might be helpful then.

Stephan