Advice please

Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

AmandaBFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are looking to move from the UK to either France or Germany. We are in no rush but want to start thinking about it seriously now. I work as a manager in a call centre and my partner works for the local council housing department. I know Germany has some call centres there with english speaking so this maybe is a good option. I speak fairly good French but no German. These are 2 countries we have spent a lot of time in. Our main concern is finding jobs, which country is the easiest for Brits to get a job? Would we need to learn the language before moving? We were also considering Hungary at one point but not spent much time here so we're not certain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Amanda
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Originally Posted by AmandaBFC View Post
Hi everyone,
I work as a manager in a call centre and my partner works for the local council housing department. I know Germany has some call centres there with english speaking so this maybe is a good option. I speak fairly good French but no German. These are 2 countries we have spent a lot of time in. Our main concern is finding jobs, which country is the easiest for Brits to get a job? Would we need to learn the language before moving? Amanda
Hi, one of my Anglo-French daughters has a part-time job in a Berlin Call-centre, ringing French companies, so it's probably a good option for British market surveys, too, although it doesn't pay excessively well.
I wouldn't recommend coming to France at the present time - unemployment figures are rising, some areas are on 20%, the economic situation is still grim. If your partner doesn't speak French, he will find it difficult to earn a living, and not in his field of work, and if you were intending to rent, be aware that you have to prove that your income (not what's in your Bank) is at least three times the rent, otherwise you must have a Guarantor.
Sorry to be negative, but France isn't out of the economic crisis yet. Some one from the Germany forum can advise about looking for work in Germany, but do all your homework before you leave "safe" jobs in the UK!
Good luck!