Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice for permanent move to Slovenia

Advice for permanent move to Slovenia

Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for permanent move to Slovenia

Thanks to all for the comments and posts.
It appears that job offers beckon for me back in the sandpit. What to do? Back into the ranks of the forlorn hope to make a few sovs before the dying of the light or to seek Nirvana. Duty calls methinks, I hate to admit it but i do enjoy having a wallet stuffed with real money, at least 500GBP or so at the weekend. I blame it on having to cut and place cardboard into my leaky shoes as a 7 year old. Thats my excuse anyway.
Good luck everyone.
Mike
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

There is life and then you say your off ! What a pity.
Don't understand the sandpit......you live in Scandinavia I believe, so have you taken a job in the Middle East or back playing with the kids in the sandbox?

I have friends who moved to Stockholm recently, he's English and she is Swedish.
They seem to love it apart from the cost of booze but the child care seems amazing and the maternity/ new parent benefits. Life outside the main towns does seem less than lively but they will come back if they don't make it with jobs etc.
By the way, I and no doubt my jousting chum Sir H would love to have 500 of
euros, Pounds or whatever in our sky rocket at the weekend......please explain. My wife wont give me any of her earnings !
Don't give up on your dreams, life is too short . Keep in touch and tell us the secret of this bulging weekend wallet ?
Slovenia is special, my quick business trip last week was great and the food special. Hopefully we will get out for Christmas although it looks like skiing will have to be at the highest resorts or in Italy and Austria if temps don't drop soon.
Kindest, M
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

The sandpit of course is expat chat for the mid-east, although I do spend time attending to the children. Playing is a bit undignified for a fellow of my standing dont you know!

Sweden has a lot to offer, no denying but anywhere outside a major city is very provincial and everything must be done the Swedish way. Fair enough, I am only a visitor but it takes a bit of getting used to. Too much in fact. We wont talk about the extortion they call a progressive tax system as its just not Swedish.The government loves us all and they want us to be healthy and safe. Just look at all the free vaccines on offer. Its great. On the other hand the Police are genuinely pretty great. I have had two shall we say brushes with them and on both occasions they have been superb. Very sensible and helpful and dare I say exhibiting uncommon common sense. Its the old swings and roundabouts as its beastly expensive here and the weather can be dreadful; that with the prospect of a decent weekends kitty on a regular basis would appear to be winning horse for now at least.

Maybe I will divert some of my hard earned to the Slovenian project. Why not indeed, assured that no diamonds will be harmed in the process.

More later
Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Well, Mike1001,

I now feel somewhat guilty in deterring you from the Slovene project. but if, as you say, you like "at least" £500 ready ackers at the weekend - gulp - I think I did the best thing possible. I think you'd struggle to have £500 - legally - left over at the end of the month in Slovenia. And yes, I'd be more than happy to have half that at the end of the month in my game.

Did you in fact go to do your research? I'm sure we'd all be interested to know your conclusions - but thanks at least for letting us know.

good luck in the Sand Pit.

H lFL.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

Mike, Harry , never been but isn't the sand pit more like cats litter in some
parts ?
We think we will see friends in Oman (?) sometime soon as they are very rich and say it is great and we might be able to stay buckshee. This wad of dosh in the old wallet sounds appealing however. Unfortunately my 15 years in the oil industry were at the retailing end not the production and like you Harry we are of the wrong age !
Harry if we come out at Christmas I will want some wine recommendations to add to those I got on the Slo wine tasting event in London.
Good luck, Mike, Michael
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the interest and comments.

The Slovenian thoughts were it appears now at least, no more than romantic musings from a northern european dreaming of sunnier climes and wholesome food and lifestyle. Oh for pickle jars, beehives and feltwork. Throw in some candlemaking and homemade soap and we are almost there. When not engaged in those tasks some astronomy or star gazing( remembering not to get too interested or upset by the other strange things up there) painting oils or watercolour, either will do. A little clay to form the odd figure or bowl. Leafy salads between the odd not too strenuous yoga session, the occassional snifter home made of course and a tasty cigar to see in the new year pagan style.I imagine at least three dogs and a tiddly .22 to keep the rats from the chicken feed.

Seriously though after checking out costs and location possibilities it just became too much of a risk. The energy effort and determination required to relocate a family is massive and funds were not comparably massive. Hence a rethink. Once the finances are more robust then consideration can again be given to smelling of home made soap and wearing a hand made felt hat. So the dream it appears will all have to wait and the sand pit beckons. As ever unlike our leaders I am a beacon of honesty and legality and as such the only way to make a decent living is by casting the net far and wide and going where the skills are required and the wasta is viable.

The Oman is superb. Muscat beautiful but dont get lost shopping there. Easy to do. Lots of side alleys and dead ends. I like the Omani people they have an impressive history but I am sure that is known.

Must away
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It is always much more difficult to relocate if you have children to consider. It might be worth looking again at Slovenia in a few years time when they are grown up and are making their own way in the world.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Nirvana stopped issuing visas some time ago. In Slovenia you will always be an outsider - even if you learn Slovenian. Can you handle that ?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Ive always been an outsider. Its good for the brain.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that living in a long-forgotten former province of the Austro-Hungarian Empire would be good for the brain !

Mind you I spent long periods in forgotten provinces of the Ottoman Empire and have now retired to ditto in the British Empire !
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Not the point of where you are geographically. Being an outsider is more the narrative of not needing to feel at home or with yer ain folk as the Scots may say. As for the British Empire its alive and well and as big and influential as its ever been, from my perspective at least. So difficult to live anywhere without its influence. Mores the pity, whether its a backwater of the former Austro-hungarian Empire, the old soviet bloc or somewhere in the new democracised idealogy of newthink we cannot escape it. And the robots are coming so its all pretty bleak. Bah humbug. Merry Christmas.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike1001
Ive always been an outsider. Its good for the brain.
I can relate but other than scenery, Slovenia doesn't have much to offer in my opinion.
It might be one step ahead but as most ex Yu countries, it is still quite far from life that you'd find a bit further west.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm.
Know people who have moved from England, some work in SLO and some dont, some who have retired and all love it and its people.
Sure it can be frustrating with stamping documents, bit of burocracy, strange forms and bills and yes the trees and countryside is great as well.
Was in SLO last week and back again in two but dont contribute much now as so little traffic.........which by the way is also another plus point!
Had some great food in Italy for a change on this trip and also in SLO. Meal we had with friends in Kamnik came as a great suprise....excellant but cant tell you where as I no longer contribute to this forum..........!?
M
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road

excellant but cant tell you where as I no longer contribute to this forum..........!?

Still lurking M ANG G!

Any of the old crew still in Slovenia or is it filling up with refugees like Germany?

Now Jeremy Corbyn is in charge of labour the Uk looks set to join the Eastern block countries comrades!
Old Nov 15th 2015, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

We are still here, last winter went south to get away from the cold winter and this year we are doing the same