British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   advice needed on moving with 2 young kids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/advice-needed-moving-2-young-kids-753719/)

amyj2011 Apr 3rd 2012 4:19 pm

advice needed on moving with 2 young kids

well this is my first post - basically my
husband and i are extremely interested in moving abroad. currently we live in scotland, have a 2.5 year old girl and i am 7 months pregnant with our son. my husband works full time as a manager of two
barber shops - in which he is a barber. i am a qualified gymnastic coach but am currently a full time mother/housewife.
basically we had thought of moving to fuertevnetura as have been holidaying in the same town there for years and love it. we have also been having spanish lessons for the last 6 months. my husband is willing to work anywhere, restaurant/shop/bar work etc anything to bring in some money & i am willing to work a little too & we can juggle the children between us. i am very concerned though as everyone is saying that unemployment is rife & getting a job is mearly impossible - we have enough savings to last us roughly 3 months - would he find work in that time? also i do plan on having the baby here an staying here for mayb the first 6 months or so and then we will head over...any advice would be great! thanks guys :)

dmu Apr 3rd 2012 4:52 pm

Re: advice needed on moving with 2 young kids

Originally Posted by amyj2011 (Post 9987231)
well this is my first post - basically my
husband and i are extremely interested in moving abroad. currently we live in scotland, have a 2.5 year old girl and i am 7 months pregnant with our son. my husband works full time as a manager of two
barber shops - in which he is a barber. i am a qualified gymnastic coach but am currently a full time mother/housewife.
basically we had thought of moving to fuertevnetura as have been holidaying in the same town there for years and love it. we have also been having spanish lessons for the last 6 months. my husband is willing to work anywhere, restaurant/shop/bar work etc anything to bring in some money & i am willing to work a little too & we can juggle the children between us. i am very concerned though as everyone is saying that unemployment is rife & getting a job is mearly impossible - we have enough savings to last us roughly 3 months - would he find work in that time? also i do plan on having the baby here an staying here for mayb the first 6 months or so and then we will head over...any advice would be great! thanks guys :)

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
You might do better to post again in the Spain forum where there may be BE members in the Canaries. You're already aware that mainland Spain probably has the worst unemployment rate in Europe and I'm afraid that most will advise you to bring over at least a year's worth of savings, especially with a young child and baby to bring up.
Good luck!:)

Domino Apr 10th 2012 2:52 pm

Re: advice needed on moving with 2 young kids

life is hard in Spain for the Spanish, even highly qualified professionals cannot get jobs, those who do are only being employed on a short term 6m contract.
so for a Brit with no quals it is going to be very hard.

whilst you can get some short term medical cover for emergencies under the EHIC you will really have to get proper medical cover, especially with small children.

I have come out for retirement which makes life much easier, although you are doing the language your accent will still make you stick out like a sore thumb.
the only way to hope in succeeding at this time is to come out to a proper job, with employment contract.
I know 2 builders who have given up after 5+ years, one even installed satellites systems for a while but the pressures and travelling long distances for little money beat him so he, wife, 2 kids, have just locked up and gone back to uk. Even in potentially rich Barcelona the Brits and other expats are returning home.

sri if this isnt what you want to hear but it isnt the El Dorado that it used to be