Reload this Page >

Advice Desperately needed

Advice Desperately needed

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:06 am
Just Joined

big dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Desperately needed

Hi

It appears I am in a whole heap of trouble....

Ok, so here it the info:

2 years ago I helped my girlfriend get a car on finance (in my name), we split about 10 months ago and she kept the car. Well about 9 months ago she decided to dump me with the car, I was under the impression she was still paying the finance...at the time I was preparing to relocate, and as I dont drive, I decided to sell the car to who I thought was a trader, and I was told at the time, that if there was any outstanding finance, it would be settled by him....so I sold it. Now I have relocated abroad, and have settled down with someone that is very dear to me, and we plan to marry.

BUT I recently found out that the police are looking for me in relation to this, and I am worried sick that I could be arrested or even worse wind up in jail for this.

I have a good job, and a new life, and really dont want to throw all this away due to my stupidity. The GF knows and is standing by me...

What I really need is advice, and if there are any police officers that read this, your advice would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:21 pm
Pau
Just Joined

Pau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Desperately needed

Hi Big Dave,

First don't panic. Unless the car was a Roll Royce or Farrari then no one is going to go to the trouble of getting a extradition warrant for you.

You have two choices one is just to ignore the problem which over a period of years will just get written off, but may leave you with a bad credit credit record in the country you've left.

Or two you can tackle the problem.

I would advise a cautious approach. Can you get a friend/ parent to contact the police and the finance company and find out exactly what the problem is. I would advise writing a letter saying you are travelling, but not giving your address and possibly not even the country you are in, but that you can be contacted by email in a Hotmail account.

Put your side of the case - ie that you thought the finance had been paid off by the dealer and your ex-girlfriend. If the dealer said he was paying off the debt write to him first asking why this has not been done and hint that you will be going to the police when you return to the country.

If the dealer is not helpful then write to the police. Don't send any original documents just photo or scanned copies.

In fact reviewing this I would write to the ex girlfriend asking her to sort out the problem. In the UK there is a small claims court for getting money back threaten to take her to court.

Good luck