Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Belgium

Advice on Belgium

Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Katy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Belgium

Hi I am living in the uk now. I am interested in going to Belgium to stay at an eco farm for a long time maybe a year or six months. But I'm a by worried about obtaining residency and the steps I need to do once in Belgium.
I will be taking my son 7 home school him do I need to registar him?
The eco farm lets you live in the community and provides free accommodation and food for your stay.
Will this be ok to claim residencey? Also my non eu spouse will be joining us and we might want to come back to the uk at some point.
But to do this we need proof of working in Belgium what proof should we get?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on Belgium

A year or six months make a big difference. If you stay abroad for more that 183 days you'll be considered non resident for UK tax purposes. The Belgian authorities would probably want you to register to the local Council. If you are not planning to work or be paid that might not really make a difference, but if you are paid or engage in activities that will be relevant to the fiscal system, you're better off being registered.

The best thing is asking the eco farm how they think of assisting you with bureaucracy. You could also contact the local council and ask them directly.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to register at the local council for both you and your son if you intend to stay any longer than 3 months. And unless you can get a temporary stay visa you will likely have to get a long stay one and if that's the case you will need to provide details such as proof of income....

Identity card or passport
Three passport photos
Confirmation of good conduct or lack of a criminal record covering the previous five years from the applicant’s national police force
Proof of means of support, usually in the form of an employment contract or letter from your employer (attestation patronale/verklaring van de werkgever)
Belgian residence address
Medical certificate from an approved doctor
Copy of birth certificate
Copy of marriage certificate
Employment contract (applicable for Romanian and Bulgarian nationals in some communes)
Your spouse will be required to register within 8 days of arrival I think amongst other things but should be ok to stay if you are ok to stay.

I'd be talking to the consulate first.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 months registration is generally required. Concur with JB80 - talk to your consulate and other authorities to ensure you understand the full requirements/implications.

Best of luck