Reload this Page >

Advice about moving to bulgaria

Advice about moving to bulgaria

Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:06 am
Just Joined

sonnym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice about moving to bulgaria

Hi,
Thanks for the advise Noelle, will be careful about agents.

I liked the V.T area as its so pretty, I was attracted to the mountain views when I visited earlier in the year.
I didn't get to the Stara Planina area but will have a look in October.
I like the idea that its not such a harsh winter.
We do plan on living here all year so it makes a difference.

Was also thinking of looking towards the Turkish/Greek border perhaps Elhovo area, any comments anyone ??

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Hi Travel Bug,

Can you tell me the names of some towns in the Stara Planina area that might be a start point for us to look at.
We are trying to do as much research as possible before we get there and you cant beat the experience of those that have already done it before you.

Thanks for the warnings about agents but could anyone suggest any sites to look on for short term rentals, hoping to stay a month.

Thanks for your time.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:21 am
Just Joined

wellygog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonnym
Hi,

I liked the V.T area as its so pretty, I was attracted to the mountain views when I visited earlier in the year.

Was also thinking of looking towards the Turkish/Greek border perhaps Elhovo area, any comments anyone ??

Thanks
honey, sorry i think you miss read what i wrote, winters over here are very harsh sometime hitting minus 20 in some areas, if you like mountain views you should try the likes of Plodiv cant really comment about the regions of the turkish border etc as i havent been that far yet
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks
If you are planning on living in Bulgaria full time I think you really need to think hard about the location you are going to choose. As a couple of people have already mentioned VT can be very very cold in winter

Do lots of research about any village (if you are looking at living in one) you like:

1) has the village got a history of water shortages, we know of people in the Yambol area who have been weeks in summer without water or if lucky had water 1hr a day
2) if things line tel line and internet are important for you go for a house that has one isnstalled, stay clear of those that tell you it is easy to get one
3) the location might seem idyllic in summer etc but come winter with snow etc it might be difficult to get anywhere
4)is the nearest airport open all year around? if so how long would it take to get there, in winter you will have at least to double that time
5) is the nearest big town large enough to have everything you need, what are the health facitlities like?

For us the the location that ticked all the boxes was just outside Burgas, winter is not so bad, so far maybe a couple of weeks of really cold weather at the time.

Elehovo I had friends that when they first went to Bulgaria went to look at properties there and didn't like it at all they then bought in Yambol that is not that far from there.

Most people buy in Yambol/Elhovo area because properties are cheap but it is an area the Bulgarian wouldn't touch at all.

I will pm you a name of an agent (Bulgarian) not to touch if he is still in business

At the end of day what one person likes another completely dislikes so it is down to your own personal taste but do take into account some of the adivce you have already received
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

thank you to everyone for your comments, I am very aware of what a big step it is which is why I am very happy to get some information from people who are experienced in a place.
I went to live in India for a few years and I know what its like to choose the wrong location, but you live and learn don't you.
I am looking forward to coming to Bulgaria in October and having a look around.
Last time I was there it was the summer so this time I should get to see a different side to the place.

Thanks
Sonnym
Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

wellygog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Travel Bug,

Can you tell me the names of some towns in the Stara Planina area that might be a start point for us to look at.
We are trying to do as much research as possible before we get there and you cant beat the experience of those that have already done it before you.

Thanks for the warnings about agents but could anyone suggest any sites to look on for short term rentals, hoping to stay a month.

Thanks for your time.
hi there i would recommend arrow villas they are a british run company for all house/apartment rentals in bulgaria ask for frank or sue hesketh tell them noelle sent you, or failing that try Pride also a british run company based in bulgaria cannot quote on stara planina as i live in varna which is a coastal town, good luck with your search
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smacked is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Advice about moving to bulgaria

Hi Sonnym,

I am a bulgarian married to a british and we have decided to take the move to Bulgaria too. We have just bought a house in a lovely village called Radilovo in the beautiful Rodopi mountains. If you are still looking to stay somewhere try this place http://www.thenorthplacebulgaria.com/ , which has stunning views and the couple running it are British and are lovely. They've lived there for over 5 years and will be more than happy to help you guys see/consider other parts of Bulgaria.
I would agree with many that VT is lovely, but to be honest being a Bulgarian who has travelled a lot , I must say that there are very few places in Bulgaria that I don't like- most places have stunning nature, lovely food and proper four seasons climate. I would also agree that you need to ensure you have some sort of income and job as it can be very difficult for expats to find work. But then again for the money you pay and what you can get in Bulgaria (you cant even get a garage in UK hahaha) , you dont need an awful lot to get by. The few British couples we now in Bulgaria still have job ties with the UK and most are contractors, which suits them great.
Anyways, good luck with your move , pm me if you want any further information.
Regards,
Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the information, will be arriving in Varna next week and we are looking forward to looking around at some different areas and have some lovely houses to view.

Hoping to find some where with beautiful views but not too far from a nice town for coffee and dinner when we fancy a change of scenery.

sonnym
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

stevebg is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
I am Bulgarian and I live in beautiful village not far from Veliko Tarnovo. I have many English friends living in the village, some of them speak the language, because they like to learn, others don't. Most Bulgarian speak English too, so is only a matter of personal decision to make where to live. I think Bulgaria still is the country English choose for their second home - nice weather, nice ppl, and the most important live is cheap. There is few houses going for sale buy owners - I think is worth to meet the neighbors first before you buy the property you like

Last edited by stevebg; Oct 6th 2011 at 7:12 am.