Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Adore the romantic image of Romania!

Adore the romantic image of Romania!

Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adore the romantic image of Romania!

How are the heating costs in Slovenia? In the apartment in Bucharest, heating is pretty cheap, about ₤20 per month from Dec-Feb. I don't even turn on the radiators in most of the rooms, just in the bedroom at night. In the countryside I only have wood stoves and 10m3 of wood (which will probably last me two winters, plus wood for cooking, heating water and BBQs for a summer) costs about ₤100.

I visited Slovenia on holiday as a kid in the early '80s. We stayed on the banks of Lake Bled - lovely place.[/QUOTE]

We heat with two wood stoves, sometimes we use a electric heater in the bedroom, off hand I don't know the exact cost of gas, oil or electric. Its in and around the same cost of most of Europe. Different types of wood are different prices and the smaller you have it chopped up the more cost involved.
We pay 240 for 4m2 of beech, 220 for 4m2 of oak cut into one metre lengths.
We also collect a lot of our own wood as we have some forest and there is forest all around us. Again the better your house is insulated the cheaper it is!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by booboo24
We heat with two wood stoves, sometimes we use a electric heater in the bedroom, off hand I don't know the exact cost of gas, oil or electric. Its in and around the same cost of most of Europe. Different types of wood are different prices and the smaller you have it chopped up the more cost involved. We pay 240 for 4m2 of beech, 220 for 4m2 of oak cut into one metre lengths. We also collect a lot of our own wood as we have some forest and there is forest all around us. Again the better your house is insulated the cheaper it is!
Just looked at some of the pics of your place. Absolutely fantastic! Looks to be a really beautiful part of the country.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

My house is about 20km to the east of Sighisoara in the Saschiz commune (which is why I know more about the activities there ). You can try contacting these guys: Casa De Pe Deal for things like beekeeping visits and so on.

Originally Posted by Tarwild
I would love to meet the beekeepers, not sure I fancy mountain biking, prefer my saddle on a horse! What is driving like round the area? Is it safe or do they drive slightly erraticly like in the Greek mountain areas? Hi, just wondering if moped's are available to hire?
To call Romanian drivers 'slightly erratic' would be to compliment them! The roads aren't as bad as people seem to suppose (in my opinion). Most of the main roads have reasonable surfaces although the country back roads can sometimes be a bit rough. There is a motorway under construction at the moment but it only goes from Bucharest as far as the southern end of the Carpathians, and a few little stretches here and there in Transylvania. The rest of the road are like UK A Roads at best, with a few duel carriageways here and there.

The drivers, especially those from the south, have an irrepressible urge to overtake - anywhere and any time. It matters not that it's night, foggy, rainy, they still think overtaking on a blind bend is a smart idea! After a while you just get used to be tailgated by some chav in a BMW and learn to let them pass and get off your case. Most of the Bucharest weekenders only go as far as the Prahova Valley (the main route through the Carpathians) so once you get passed Brasov there isn't much traffic. Other than that, you just have to watch out for the occasional pothole and horse and carts (those horses which haven't ended up in a Tesco lasagne that is!)

I've had a look around on the net and I can't find anyone renting mopeds or scooters in the area. You might try asking the guys from your hotel - they might know someone who has scooters for hire or can sort you out with some.