British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   19yr old wondering best place to move to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/19yr-old-wondering-best-place-move-535281/)

Hannor May 8th 2008 7:37 pm

19yr old wondering best place to move to?

Anyone have any ideas?
I was looking in to Gibraltar but got put off that place from bad reviews.

I no theres always going to be something about somewhere thats bad.
Im just looking for abit of life experience. I want some independence, move somewhere thats hot, sunny and just a fun place to be to meet new people.
My plan would be to move there for a good year-2 years and i will be moving on my own.

Any ideas of best place for me?

Thanks in advance.

joggerfan May 23rd 2008 7:12 pm

Re: 19yr old wondering best place to move to?

Are you planning on working?

Hannor May 24th 2008 1:39 am

Originally Posted by joggerfan (Post 6386321)
Are you planning on working?

Yes i am =)

romal May 27th 2008 10:03 am

ever thought of Malta?

Originally Posted by Hannor (Post 6325096)
Anyone have any ideas?
I was looking in to Gibraltar but got put off that place from bad reviews.

I no theres always going to be something about somewhere thats bad.
Im just looking for abit of life experience. I want some independence, move somewhere thats hot, sunny and just a fun place to be to meet new people.
My plan would be to move there for a good year-2 years and i will be moving on my own.

Any ideas of best place for me?

Thanks in advance.

Morcus Jun 4th 2008 5:42 pm

What Languages can you speak/write?

GDE Jun 7th 2008 10:25 am

Yes, I have a few suggestions:

Hot and Sunny sounds like a Greek or Spanish Island. If you can work in the tourist industry, you might find summer work in a hotel, restaurant or bar. If you are looking for something year round, you are more likely to find something in the Canary Islands. Working in Tenerife in a tourist resort area, should offer you everthing you are looking for.

If you are outgoing and have some talents (singing, dancing, sports, etc) you may be able to find a job working in an entertainment team for a hotel. I have heard that there are several agencies that recruit online for this kind of position. However, do be careful. Make sure that the organization is reputable. There are lots of companies that promise glamours sounding jobs in far away places and when you get there, they either do not pay you or cheat you in another way. Or worse...look at the opportunity very carefully and get lots of advice before rushing off to an unknown opportunity.

Olipro Jun 17th 2008 4:12 am

Originally Posted by GDE (Post 6444042)
If you are outgoing and have some talents (singing, dancing, sports, etc) you may be able to find a job working in an entertainment team for a hotel.

Is that code for working at a bar doing the full monty for tips? :P

OK, jokes aside...

Personally I'd recommend Hungary; I've nipped off here for a stint and am currently residing in District XII of Budapest with the girlfriend (she's hungarian, I'm not, which is great because my Magyar sucks so she translates for me).

Of course, I get my money outside of the country, so that gives me a lot more power inside - I hear that minimum wage here is something in the region of a quid... not fun. Otherwise though, very low cost of living.

GDE Jun 17th 2008 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Olipro (Post 6473469)

Olipro: No, and I dont think it is particularly funny. I am suggesting to a 19 year old kid to go work as part of an entertainment team at a hotel. If you have been to a club med or any hotel in a resort area, you will know what I mean.

Personally I'd recommend Hungary;

Hannor wants to move somewhere thats hot, sunny...last time I checked Hungary was neither. For that you need to look somewhere a bit more south

jdr Jun 17th 2008 7:10 am

Hannor, a little more feedback with type of job you want and languages you can speak may help with place suggestions. ;-)

Olipro Jun 17th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by GDE (Post 6473649)
Olipro: No, and I dont think it is particularly funny. I am suggesting to a 19 year old kid to go work as part of an entertainment team at a hotel. If you have been to a club med or any hotel in a resort area, you will know what I mean.

Hannor wants to move somewhere thats hot, sunny...last time I checked Hungary was neither. For that you need to look somewhere a bit more south

Actually the weather here in the summer is very nice.

But admittedly, I did miss that part... nonetheless, I'd say that alternative suggestions aren't exactly going to do any damage.

derbyflan Jun 19th 2008 2:40 pm

How do I get one of those Magyar things?
:o

Katamoungdapidgeons Jul 28th 2008 10:52 pm

The Canaries are a great option for year round sun & work , lots of brits & english spoken.
I spent time in Majorca when I was around your age doing bar work, there was loads of Brits & it was a lot of fun. In resort jobs English is a bonus and lack of language often isn't a big problem.
A lot of sunny jobs are seasonal so you'll have to move on in winter, the ski jobs ( cleaning chalets, hotel or bar work) or moving from a resort to a city is a good way to go.
Cypruss is an option that is a bit more year round but not Ayia Nappa, it is almost completely closed in winter. Italy is nice , the cities are OK for year round work but language is an issue unless you do back room sort of work, cleaning, portering etc France is ok too same language probs. I worked in both great but not as fun as resort jobs.
Also not as many brits and not much chance of promotion or resoponsibility. In Spainnish Resorts lots of Brits own businesss so they are more likely to trust you with more responsibility .
Lots of brits try Amsterdam not so sunny in weather but not such a language prob, they speak generally good English , have a sunny outlook! & its year round work.
if you have a budget then Australia would be good (or New Zealand).They speak english , like to enjoy themselves & have a good climate & might be a good long term move.
Also maybe think about cruise ship jobs!
Best Of luck:thumbsup:Hope you have a fun.

Mustin Jul 29th 2008 2:46 pm

OK, jokes aside...

Personally I'd recommend Hungary; I've nipped off here for a stint and am currently residing in District XII of Budapest with the girlfriend (she's hungarian, I'm not, which is great because my Magyar sucks so she translates for me).

Of course, I get my money outside of the country, so that gives me a lot more power inside - I hear that minimum wage here is something in the region of a quid... not fun. Otherwise though, very low cost of living.

Hi Olipro, I'm also in Hungary and regularly commute between the UK and Lake Balaton. My magyar also sucks(!) but it's improving all the time. My better half is also Hungarian and we're enjoying the weather here at the moment - very hot! Not many English here by the lake, we are very much outnumbered by Germans that come here for their holidays. Not been to Bp that much recently but it's a place that I always enjoy going to if we get the chance. Have you been in Hungary long?