Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

The 183 day Rule, tax and non-geographic work

The 183 day Rule, tax and non-geographic work

Old Aug 18th 2016, 7:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 183 day Rule, tax and non-geographic work

Originally Posted by bethsmyls
Thanks for all the advice. It's really helpful. Especially the concrete facts about renting and healthcare. We still haven't decided on the best place to go and information like this is so handy in helping us decide. A lot of info on websites is outdated or doesn't cover self-employment, and certainly I've never even seen the Déclaration d'activité d'un artiste-auteur mentioned on any other info I've read about self-employment in France.

You ought to specify who "we" are, and what other sources of family income there are.
I happen to know about artistes' healthcover, as DD1 was affiliated at one stage. Maybe one reason why she left France and changed her career!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

bethsmyls is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry DMU - I would be going wherever I go with my partner. That's one of the major obstacles in deciding where we would go. He's a top-end landscaper by trade, but most people on the Portugal and Spain forums were pessimistic about him getting a job there (no money in the country, doesn't speak the language). I don't see why he couldn't get work in the Algarve or on one of the costas with all the expensive villas owned by expats and internationals, but still people were downbeat generally about it.

But he would be prepared to do a TEFL course if it meant we could move. Spain is crying out for them, but Spain may be out for me as the tax is high and social security is exorbitant if you're self-employed (but has to be paid regardless of earnings), and if I'm too ill to do much freelance work I'd be relying on my royalties, which would put a major crimp on cashflow.

France also has a few TEFL jobs and looks a possibility, with reasonable tax rates and we could afford to buy a property as we have enough savings to put down a large deposit. The buying process is expensive, but fairly straightforward. I also speak and understand French, so it would be easier than Spain or Portugal where neither of us speak the language.

I have a degree in German and lived there as a student so I am au fait with registration. There is money there, but I don't think there would be much call for TEFL or landscaping.

We're targeting somewhere in Europe (before it's too late) as the price of property would allow us to get on the ladder, which we could never do in London, where we currently live. We're also looking for a lower cost of living, which would make the most of my overseas income, and somewhere which is better for my health generally and where the way of life is nicer. I don't like the way the UK is going.

I also have a cat to take with me, so going further afield than Europe would be out. She's quite old and I wouldn't put her through hours of flight-time.

Another option we were looking at was buying a property for (ideally) long-term let or maybe holidays (depending on a country's tax structure) and then renting a cheaper place wherever the work was.

It's tricky trying to go through all the options. My dream would be to live in Portugal or on the Canaries, but if it's not viable for my OH, it's not. I get different answers from different people as well on whether something would work out or not. :-$
Old Aug 18th 2016, 9:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry DMU - I would be going wherever I go with my partner. That's one of the major obstacles in deciding where we would go. He's a top-end landscaper by trade, but most people on the Portugal and Spain forums were pessimistic about him getting a job there (no money in the country, doesn't speak the language). I don't see why he couldn't get work in the Algarve or on one of the costas with all the expensive villas owned by expats and internationals, but still people were downbeat generally about it.

But he would be prepared to do a TEFL course if it meant we could move. Spain is crying out for them, but Spain may be out for me as the tax is high and social security is exorbitant if you're self-employed (but has to be paid regardless of earnings), and if I'm too ill to do much freelance work I'd be relying on my royalties, which would put a major crimp on cashflow.

France also has a few TEFL jobs and looks a possibility, with reasonable tax rates and we could afford to buy a property as we have enough savings to put down a large deposit. The buying process is expensive, but fairly straightforward. I also speak and understand French, so it would be easier than Spain or Portugal where neither of us speak the language.

I have a degree in German and lived there as a student so I am au fait with registration. There is money there, but I don't think there would be much call for TEFL or landscaping.

We're targeting somewhere in Europe (before it's too late) as the price of property would allow us to get on the ladder, which we could never do in London, where we currently live. We're also looking for a lower cost of living, which would make the most of my overseas income, and somewhere which is better for my health generally and where the way of life is nicer. I don't like the way the UK is going.

I also have a cat to take with me, so going further afield than Europe would be out. She's quite old and I wouldn't put her through hours of flight-time.

Another option we were looking at was buying a property for (ideally) long-term let or maybe holidays (depending on a country's tax structure) and then renting a cheaper place wherever the work was.

It's tricky trying to go through all the options. My dream would be to live in Portugal or on the Canaries, but if it's not viable for my OH, it's not. I get different answers from different people as well on whether something would work out or not. :-$
You did well to speak of your "partner" and his profession. Unfortunately for him, landscaping is one of the "luxury" professions which are affected by the bleak economic situation in southern Continental Europe, as potential clients are tightening their belts. He, too, would have to set up a business structure and pay social charges however much, or little, income comes in.
As to your marital status, unless you're married or PACSed (civil union), you'd need to consult a Notaire as to the best legal way of avoiding the 60% Taxe de Succession on French property, to be paid by the survivor of a couple who aren't legally bound. This concerns France, I've no idea about the inheritance laws in other countries....
Old Aug 18th 2016, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

We are life partners - and we'd be happy to get married if it meant simplifying things regarding our status. We're not really the weddingy types, but in order to be recognised as together legally should anything happen to one of us, then we'd both be prepared to wear a ring. (We're only 36 though so hopefully have life in us yet).

I find it hard to believe that anyone with villas in say Marbella, Cannes or the Algarve would be tightening their belts. OH gets plenty of work in London because the people in rich areas will spend thousands on doing up their garden. He also does maintenance contracts, which I imagine would be attractive for someone with a second home on the med. And there are golf courses, holiday lettings and hotels which might want the service. Obviously we'd have to live some way inland with much cheaper rent ourselves!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are life partners - and we'd be happy to get married if it meant simplifying things regarding our status. We're not really the weddingy types, but in order to be recognised as together legally should anything happen to one of us, then we'd both be prepared to wear a ring. (We're only 36 though so hopefully have life in us yet).

I find it hard to believe that anyone with villas in say Marbella, Cannes or the Algarve would be tightening their belts. OH gets plenty of work in London because the people in rich areas will spend thousands on doing up their garden. He also does maintenance contracts, which I imagine would be attractive for someone with a second home on the med. And there are golf courses, holiday lettings and hotels which might want the service. Obviously we'd have to live some way inland with much cheaper rent ourselves!
... but don't forget that the unemployment rates in France, Spain and Portugal are very high and there are countless local (British expats included) gardeners chasing any jobs going!
You don't have to be weddingy to get married - Registry Office or Mairie, with a couple of witnesses, is sufficient! OH and I got married at the Mairie, had lunch with the witnesses, then went back to work in the afternoon! (On the other hand, we had a Church blessing later in the UK to appease the family....)
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Yes DMU that is true. We'd have to test the waters before moving anywhere. We were thinking OH could do TEFL then start enquiring about landscaping jobs while still earning maybe. He has a lot going for him (won awards at the Chelsea Flower show and everything), can identify just about any tree with its Latin name, knows what will grow where, does decking, walls, water features, the lot - lots of experience etc. Much of his work was gained through word of mouth. So maybe if we could work out where is affordable for both of us, he could do TEFL then in his spare hours, visit some of the golf courses, marina bars etc and post leaflets at likely looking villas to see if he could get started up.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 1:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes DMU that is true. We'd have to test the waters before moving anywhere. We were thinking OH could do TEFL then start enquiring about landscaping jobs while still earning maybe. He has a lot going for him (won awards at the Chelsea Flower show and everything), can identify just about any tree with its Latin name, knows what will grow where, does decking, walls, water features, the lot - lots of experience etc. Much of his work was gained through word of mouth. So maybe if we could work out where is affordable for both of us, he could do TEFL then in his spare hours, visit some of the golf courses, marina bars etc and post leaflets at likely looking villas to see if he could get started up.
I'm being the devil's advocate (again!). Your OH would need to set up a business structure for TEFL work, as it's unlikely that he'd get a salaried job. This business structure wouldn't cover any future work as a landscape gardener, and I'm not sure that one person can have two micro-entreprises, for example, in France. You yourself would have to set up your own M-E for one activity....
There's a member on the France forum, very much in-the-know for all things business, but they must be on holiday or may not look in the general Europe section.....
Old Aug 18th 2016, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks DMU - I might have to post more specific questions in forums for each of the countries we are considering. I have googled a lot but there is much conflicting and out-of-date information out there.

It's so weird that you can't conduct more than one business as a sole trader. In the UK, I am classed as a sole trader and did a variety of work under my own name. HMRC didn't care what it was as long as I declared my earnings in a self-assessment and paid my NICS.

Many people teaching TEFL in Europe are employed directly by a school or academy and get a salary based on that. But they often have to find private clients as the school wage would not be stunning and they wouldn't necessarily get enough hours to live well on it. I wonder how complex things would get then, if you would have to set up an ME as well as having an employer.