British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   18 and looking for work abroad [Help] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/18-looking-work-abroad-%5Bhelp%5D-809961/)

AllInTheHead Sep 21st 2013 9:23 pm

18 and looking for work abroad [Help]

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I hope I have put this in the right section of the forum, and secondly hope everyone has had an awesome summer.

The reason I am writing here today, is that I ave decided, if possible, I want to live and work outside of the UK. I have felt like this since I was about 15, and now being 18, and it realistically being alot more possible, I want to try and take the chance. I have saved the money to be able to support myself for a while, but obviously some income would be needed, as i'd be having my own accomodation etc.

I know alot of people will read this and feel as if it's the wrong choice, but as much as I appreciate that it may be, I have had my heart set on this for a long while, and if it doesn't work out, I'll get myself home!

Where I need some help is I have no idea how to apply for a job in a foregin country, or where they are advertised, and also where is a good place to go!? I have down a fair amount of travelling, but obviously when your lviing there on your own etc it's a completely different scenario.

Would be lovely to hear some other peoples stories (if there are any) and some advice on how I should go about this.

Many thanks, and thanks for reading.

AllInTheHead Sep 21st 2013 9:23 pm

Re: 18 and looking for work abroad [Help]

And even looking at it, I'd be up for a move anywhere, I just figured that with visa's etc it is alot more convenient to go into Europe, rather than Asia/Australia etc,

dmu Sep 22nd 2013 7:30 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!:)
First of all, have you got qualifications and do you speak a European language?
If you can't tick either box, then your chances of finding any work in France, for example, are zero. Even qualified bilingual French people can't find work and are moving abroad...
If you persist in your dream, then make sure you have enough savings to last for two years (approx 20 000€ to survive on the official French Poverty threshold). I won't go into other details (healthcare coverage, Guarantor required for renting, ...) - come onto the France forum to find out the nitty-gritty of living in France on the breadline.
If you don't speak another language, you would do well to select Eire, for example, or the Netherlands or a Scandinavian country where everyone speaks English, but the economic situation everywhere in Europe is bleak.
You're young, you'd be advised to improve your qualifications, maybe in another part of the UK to escape from where you want to escape from, learn another language, and observe the economic situation in Europe. The Crisis might be over in a few years, who knows? And you can follow your dream then...
:)

Sir Harry le Fise Lake Apr 29th 2014 4:13 pm

I suspect, if you do what you say, you will find out a lot about yourself.

If you go out with the attitude "Even if things go wrong, I'll still be grateful for the experience" you'll do ok.

But I think you should realise that there are probably about 2- 3 -400,000 (or more?) young Germans, French, Italians, Spanish, Finns, Danes, Romanians, ...... etc etc out there trying to do what you want to do. And most of them will have one major advantage over you - the vast majority will speak at least OK English as well as their own mother tongue, and if, say they are Slavic, they will get along in another 2-3 languages in the same group.

But so long as you go out realising the world does not owe you a living, and don't mind washing bottles in restaurants for a few months if necesary, you should enjoy it. :D

Red_Wine_Fairy May 10th 2014 11:32 am

If you're 18, are you looking at the au-pair route? As an EU passport holder, this should be the easiest way for you to go (unless you prefer to/have the A levels to attend Uni abroad). You just need to know how to handle children, push a hoover around and make lunches.

It will mean you can get a taster of the country, and keep hold of your savings for a year while scouting for a job/rental. As you're there for 12 months maximum, if it's not for you then you can try another country/family after that. One advantage in your favour is that you speak the language every educated family wants their child to learn ;)

Countries have their own 'rules' regarding au-pairs stating the rights and responsibilities of au-pairs and host families. eg. a link for the Netherlands aupair visa can be found here: https://ind.nl/en/individuals/reside...change/au-pair

In your shoes, I would be thinking about where exactly I'd like to go, then ask for more assistance in the forum of the country/countries that you are considering. Alternatively, look at some au-pair agencies (be aware there are good and bad ones), and if you feel they aren't vetting you and the host family carefully, be wary. A good agency will do more than just place you - some offer meetup groups with other au-pairs in your city so that you don't feel completely isolated.

catholicvegan92 May 15th 2014 10:57 pm

Hello!
Firstly, stick to your dream and go for it! It's a great experience and you develop loads. But it is hard work to organise everything - I don't know if you've ever moved house but you probably need to multiply that effort by 2 or 3...
I moved to Germany on my own at the age of 18 and am still there (over 3 years and counting) and can highly recommend it.
Firstly you really need to have an idea of where you want to go (language skills are a good thing to go by) and roughly what area you want to work in. I was lucky enough to get a contact via an acquaintance and started off with an internship in the Black Forest. It wasn't paid terrifically but it was plenty to live on and I even got accommodation and some food provided. Your savings will come in handy for flights out and potentially for home visits, depending on how homesick you get and/or how often your parents want to see you! Also for the first month or two until you get your first pay cheque. If you stay in the EU you may be able to getincome support of some sort until you get a job; in other countries you'd have to look at the visa regulations.
Hope that helps for starters, do feel free to get in touch.

Gordon Barlow May 25th 2014 3:20 am

My suggestion is to get in with some hippie community in a warm place. Central America would be a good choice. (Yes, I know that's not in Europe, but you shouldn't limit yourself to Europe.) Accommodation would be all but free, and there are always casual jobs going, to pay for food. As long as you've got your ticket home, no problem.

magnification Jun 29th 2014 8:36 am

Mr Barlow
Where would you suggest in Central/South America?

Looking for a basic cheap and cheerful lifestyle within an hour of 'civilisation'
eg town with some industry where my teaching of English experience may be useful.

Gordon Barlow Jun 29th 2014 7:55 pm

Magni. You could start in one of the villages around Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. I wouldn't say they're within an hour's travel to "civilisation", but they're within three degrees of separation, I guess. My son built a treehouse a little way west of San Marcos, which may or may not still be there. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you used it! I blogged about it in August last year (2013), in a post called "Not the Swiss Family Robinson". You can find it easily enough in my Archives. It will give you the general flavour of the place. It would be a bit of a challenge for you; the lifestyle is not for everybody!

magnification Jun 29th 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for your kind offer in Guatemala. You never know. If the recovery never happens, it's an option.
UK govt says things are improving (UK economy) - pull the other one!
You seem to have somewhat detailed insight into various global goings-on. Interesting to read. I tell people stuff is happening, but they don't seem to see 1984 could be coming to fruition.
Can governments manage the decline of the west, and stabilise the world economy by replacing the petrodollar with an alternative?