Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Would i get in aus as an electrician?

Would i get in aus as an electrician?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would i get in aus as an electrician?

Hi all

I've posted this in the australian thread but realise it would be best here

Well ive filled out the online form and just had the guy on the phone who has e-mailed me the info to get the ball rolling.However i have a few queries before i get going.

First of all he said its going to cost around £5.5k over the 12/13 month period! Is this right or am i dealing with a company?

I have prelimnary qualified on a 175 visa as a general electrician.
I have NVQ 2380/2391 and 2382 in this field all level 3. Been registered with the NICEIC and NAPIT since 2004 (have all previous certificates)However did not complete a college based electrical apprenticeship.

I told the guy on the phone that i am also a qualified gas fitter having the current ACS qualifications for natural gas cookers/central heating. Been registered with corgi and Gas safe the last 13 years again have all previous certificates,however have not completed a gas/plumbing college based apprenticeship.

I currently have been fitting kitchens self employed for the last 13years doing my own gas and electrical work.

I noticed on the skills occupation list that gas fitter,joiner and electrician was on there but chose the electrician route as i feel the most comfortable with this and if had to nominate one of the 3 jobs,this would be it.

The problem is when i told the guy i was also registered as a gas fitter and was fitting kitchens he said if i'm applying as an electrician i would need to prove i've been doing electrical work for 20hours/week for the last number of x years.

So before i fill out the form i am wondering if i should keep quiet about the gas and kitchen fitting side of my business.
Also with the recession i have not been working that much over the last 18 months and have been doing other things and doing up my house.

Any advice would be most welcome
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice
Default Re: Would i get in aus as an electrician?

before you give an agent any of your money i would have a look at the Vetassess site, they are the people who will issue you your OSTR before youu start you application. If they recognise you as a spark then complete the rest yourself as the hard part is done, its just a waiting game after that. An agent wont get it done any quicker.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Decided to go down the route of applying under joiner as my agent reckons it'll be easier to prove my experience.
Not really comfortable with this as i haven't any quals as a joiner (there is none for kitchen fitting).

Done my tradest application and vetasses forms on my own (all saved) but im two minds wether to submit as a joiner.

Does anyone know what they ask you to do on the electricans practical?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

have a search through previous threads as there is plenty of information on the vetassess practical and written.

Like i said earlier if you are doing this part yourself then you will not need the help of an agent so save your money. He wont get you there any quicker.