Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Will my skills be recognised?

Will my skills be recognised?

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

bkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nice
Default Will my skills be recognised?

I served my time as an Electrician from 1995-1999, working on industrial and commercial installations. I worked from 1999-September 2001 as a time served Electrician and didn't bother doing my Approved grading, then left the trade to do an 18 month course in Audio Engineering. After finishing the course I couldn't find any work in Audio Engineering but some how fell into the world of Building Maintenance. I got a job as an Electrical Technician in June 2004, which was basically just a maintenance role doing everything from re-lamping to changing filters, working with a BMS and PPM work on all plant equipment like boilers, chillers and AHU's etc, as well as a little electrical install work and general maintenance. I left that job in March 2007 and am currently working as a Building Services Engineer for a Facilities Management company, which is again a maintenance job and not really an Electrician job, although a lot of the maintenance is electrical and it was an Electrician the company were looking for.

My question is, will this affect my TRA and ARTC applications? I'm looking to get recognised as an Electrician, although would like to continue working in Facilities Management when I get to Australia. Any advice at all would be good, thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my skills be recognised?

bkelly,

when you make your application make sure you are applying for the Mechanic license there is the Mechanic & Fitter license the fitter is limited to panel wiring mainly, the Mechanics license covers all from installations to working on switchboards (fuse boards) list all the company's you have worked for doing installation work mainly, also list every tool you have used even only once then also list all materials like conduits, galv & PVC then list all trunkings (Duct here). do you get the drift the people doing your application may not have any electrical idea at all so the more you include the better for you.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Also when you get here you will have to do a short evening course to bring you up to the Australian standards, then you will have to sit exams for the A class electrical license every person coming here must obtain this license its as simple as that may i ask which state are you going to live in the reason i ask is each state has its own set of exams some harder some easier.

The exams all cost money so does the A class license that must be renewed every 3 years at a cost of about $350.00 if you dont renew the license you must re-sit all exams again, its illegal to do electrical work in australia without the A class license
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

bkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nice

Thanks for the tips, i'll be going to Sydney btw. Also, what about VTT? I understand that you can't get your skills recognised with them for a visa but i'm getting my visa through my wife's skills as a nurse (should hopefully have them by early 2008), so i don't need to go through the whole process twice. I'll have PR from day one so would the cheaper option of the VTT be an idea? I'm confused about all this
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok mate if you are going on the wife's skills thats good seeming she is a nurse, tell her to ask about fast tracking they are in desperate need for nurses and if fast tracked you could be here in 6 months max.
If you still intend to do electrical work you must obtain the A class license as i said before its illegal to perform work without it, and customers would have no insurance.

Mind you when you get here and look at the state of workmanship, it becomes a Joke you will shake your head. 99% of sparks here don't know how to bend or install galv conduit's, its all pvc & twin & earth even in industry.

Its worth doing the evening course, the difference in the earthing if good to learn. At every switchboard you connect the neutral & earth bar together with a piece of earth cable then run a earth cable from the earth bar to an earth rod out side the premises the earth bar must be a minimum of 1.2meter deep the diam of the bar must be at least 12mm diam, so the earth cable is then connected to the earth bar open to the weather sound crazy but thats the regs here.

Never touch a neutral bar with the mains switched on, there shall always be current flowing through that bar.

If you need any more info please do ask, there is a new wiring regs book coming out in the nest week or so you may want to get a hold of that.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

We're on the fast track route just now, applied in January and the agent said about 13 months was the time we should expect before visa's are through. We'll probably wait until about July though to save the money etc.

Also, I don't have an up to date grade card as i've not needed it since it expired in 2003, due to the work i've been doing. I phoned the SJIB about renewing it by sitting the ECS Health and Safety exam and was told that i'd also need to do the 16th Edition exam because i've left it so long :curse:. I noticed on the TRA application that they ask for evidence of licence/registration and expirey date. Is this my grade card? If so, do i need to get it done? I'm pushed for time because yesterday i found out via this site that it all changes in September and it's going to get harder, more time consuming and more expensive. I don't have time to get all that done before September 1st, so hopefully you or someone else can shed some light on the subject.

Last edited by bkelly; Jul 5th 2007 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bkelly
We're on the fast track route just now, applied in January and the agent said about 13 months was the time we should expect before visa's are through. We'll probably wait until about July though to save the money etc.

Also, I don't have an up to date grade card as i've not needed it since it expired in 2003, due to the work i've been doing. I phoned the SJIB about renewing it by sitting the ECS Health and Safety exam and was told that i'd also need to do the 16th Edition exam because i've left it so long :curse:. I noticed on the TRA application that they ask for evidence of licence/registration and expirey date. Is this my grade card? If so, do i need to get it done? I'm pushed for time because yesterday i found out via this site that it all changes in September and it's going to get harder, more time consuming and more expensive. I don't have time to get all that done before September 1st, so hopefully you or someone else can shed some light on the subject.
My OH didn't have one and he was OK
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bkelly;

dont panic mate i think you will find the 16th edition & JIB is a load of bollocks here its not recognized as Australian regulations.

Do the CV get all papers signed & dated, copy your C&G certs have them signed if you are unable to get any letters from employers do a stat dec have it signed.

when people apply lots are unable to get info from previous employers, i did my own CV i added every tool every piece of materials i had worked with that makes life easy for the person doing your assessment for your grade of Mechanic or Fitter.

Just think ahead, dont expect sod all just make sure you have covered every corner in the application, if you need help here just ask, things are changing thats for sure we dont know if its going to be better we dont think so, when i say we i mean people like myself & Wendy & Stev'o on here.

I can say this though what ever they do, it will cost money thats how it seems to work

Have you made any enquiries regarding the cost of the exams or the actual license for the A class it all cost money, the A class license covers you for 3 years in victoria at a cost of $350.00 (now) i dont know the cost of the exams on the day where you are living sorry to say.

If you go self employed after you have obtained the A class license you must do a short course for the contractors license, more money then you must have insurance more money again the contractors license is a yearly thing as is the insurance.

However if you intend to work for a company then you wont need the contractors license or insurance.

Im not to sure when the new Wiring Rules book is due out Wendy may be able to give you more info on that score.

I know this if i was doing my A class license again i would be doing it in S/A its much easier there to obtain the license, then you can make the application to have your license transferred to the state you want, of course at a cost.????

Do you consider all this to be a mine field, we have been there & done it mate it can be very stressful so ask for assistance on here.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus

I know this if i was doing my A class license again i would be doing it in S/A its much easier there to obtain the license, then you can make the application to have your license transferred to the state you want, of course at a cost.????
It would cost you the application fee for a licence in the state you transferred it to.

The cost for gaining a licence in SA is:

Course $510 (tax deductable, I believe)
ARTC - Free with pre-migration assessment, $300 without it.
Licence $380 (ish)
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wendy its all money, people have no idea of all the costings thats involved.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wendy its all money, people have no idea of all the costings thats involved.

I know, and it's only going to get worse with the new assessment.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

wendy, i would love to know whats actually involved with this assessment, you would think the people doing it are electrical trained if not then it becomes a Joke for the applicants.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy;

I have just spoken to the lady at SIA Global for publications she said the new wiring rules wont be out until either October or November this year then she also said if at all this year, she said don't hold your breath its as simple as that.

Im not normally on here during the day but im of work due to having a back operation on Wednesday so i'm bored shitless now.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wendy, i would love to know whats actually involved with this assessment, you would think the people doing it are electrical trained if not then it becomes a Joke for the applicants.
I think they'll have to be. This page tells you what is planned: http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a#FAQ6

Wendy;

I have just spoken to the lady at SIA Global for publications she said the new wiring rules wont be out until either October or November this year then she also said if at all this year, she said don't hold your breath its as simple as that.

Im not normally on here during the day but im of work due to having a back operation on Wednesday so i'm bored shitless now.

Welcome to my world, not the bad back bit, the bored shitless bit

Hope your op goes OK.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

wendy do you have any kids at home, is that why your home.
you could always look for something part time unless you have little ones at home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.