British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Where about's in Perth is majority of commercial work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/where-abouts-perth-majority-commercial-work-783110/)

GunnersCandy Jan 9th 2013 10:52 am

Where about's in Perth is majority of commercial work?

Hi

My husband is an Electrician with 16 years experience, he currently does commercial work and that is his preference.

Where is the majority of commercial work based? as we would be looking at living NOR probably Joondalup area just wondered what his commuting would be like, how far etc?

Any info much appreciated

Lou_Diamond_Phillips Jan 10th 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Where about's in Perth is majority of commercial work?

Err, the CBD :)

There's also some other big commercial jobs going on elsewhere, Fiona Stanley Hospital, which is in Murdoch. I heard about a big commercial job up in Joondalup as well last year, no idea if it's still going or what it was called, sorry.

Just so your husband knows, commercial work in Aus is a lot different to the UK. It mainly consists of lashing TPS (Australia's version of twin and earth) across the ceiling. I found it pretty dull, industrial work is more interesting and there's plenty of it in WA at the moment.

GunnersCandy Jan 11th 2013 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lou_Diamond_Phillips (Post 10475489)
Err, the CBD :)

There's also some other big commercial jobs going on elsewhere, Fiona Stanley Hospital, which is in Murdoch. I heard about a big commercial job up in Joondalup as well last year, no idea if it's still going or what it was called, sorry.

Just so your husband knows, commercial work in Aus is a lot different to the UK. It mainly consists of lashing TPS (Australia's version of twin and earth) across the ceiling. I found it pretty dull, industrial work is more interesting and there's plenty of it in WA at the moment.

Thanks for that.

Where is the majority of industrial work then? Would living NOR be ok?

colinmaclec Jan 12th 2013 7:18 am

There is next to no industry in the Northern Suburbs. And the only commercial work would be shopping centres. The only electrical work in the north would be housing really apart from the new extension to joondaloup Shopping centre. All the industrial areas are in the south and the east of Perth. If you lived in joondaloup or butler for example and worked in the south or east your commutte would be anything from 1-2 hrs depending on the time of day.

Lou_Diamond_Phillips Jan 12th 2013 9:20 am

Most of the industrial sites are around Kwinana, which as Colin points out would be a bit of a hike from Joondalup. The other option would be to work away doing fly in, fly out (FIFO) elsewhere in the state, that's where the majority of the industrial work is in WA (mine sites, gas plants etc.). Or possibly drive in, drive out work in the South West of the state.

GunnersCandy Jan 14th 2013 9:16 am

ok thanks for that he definitely does not want to do house bashing. My sister has offered to put us up until he finds work so I guess that is the best idea before renting anywhere.

With regards to the FIFO jobs I thought they were hard to get in to and it was more about who you knew to get in?

Thanks

Lou_Diamond_Phillips Jan 14th 2013 12:50 pm

I had no trouble getting a start for a job working away once I got my A grade. I'd say it's a lot easier getting a start here than it is back home