Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

What are the wages at the minute?

What are the wages at the minute?

Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:33 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Arrow What are the wages at the minute?

As it says above really,
For all you lucky barstewards that are already out there in QLD sparking what is the going rate for a un-supervised spark?

I have read lots of varying posts on this matter so thought i would bring it up again.

In England at the minute i am working CIS so no holidays and perks etc etc but i am on about £4-50 more per hour than somebody working on the cards .

Is this a option out there, what is the difference in the rates between agency / on the cards / and like CIS not self employed as such but not employed if that makes sense or do the Ozzies have something similar?
I remember reading on hera a while back about some one goinf Self employed and pulling $50 ish per hour

I could do with finding out so we can look at what type of mortgage we can afford and therefore weather we will be a dive or somewhere decent.

TIA

Dougie
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: What are the wages at the minute?

Hello All,

A rule of thumb is 28 - 35 an hour plus 23% for casual.

Regards

Kevin
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:05 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All,

A rule of thumb is 28 - 35 an hour plus 23% for casual.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

What do you mean by casual ?

is that like agency with no perks/holidays etc etc?

Also what are we looking at for stopages ??

Here if i do a week PAYE i normally tot all my hours up and minus 26% off the top line to work out what i will put in the bank.

How much % do you lose over there?

Again thanks

Dougie
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

The Work force is somewhat weird here, you have a few different ways to approach a job,

Contract usually means full time with all the benifits, however you can get part time, benifits include SUPER, Holiday, Sick pay and more. A vehicle is worth around $15,000.

You normally have to do 3 months probation and then a contract is offered should you be fit for the position.

Casual is what is normally offered to you when you get a job via an agency, however you don't have to join an agency to work causual . The casual offer sometimes comes with a perm offer after three months, be careful with agencies, you may have a clause that doesn't allow you to work for the same firm within 6 months of leaving the agency, the pay is normally 23% above a contract rate, you may get super,but no holiday or sick.

Self employed, well charge what you want and hope you get the work.

Tax runs at 20% and super is normally 9% of your earning, so an offer of a package will include your super, but most are advertised as a base wage plus super.

Hope this helps

regards

Kevin
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:46 am
Swollen Member

Thanks again Kevin,

So i need to deduct 29% off my top line for the stopages is there anything else thats going to crop up that i need to pay weekly
Medicare ?
how much is that normally ish ?
secret stealth tax ?

Cheers
Dougie
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Thanks again Kevin,

So i need to deduct 29% off my top line for the stopages is there anything else thats going to crop up that i need to pay weekly
Medicare ?
how much is that normally ish ?
secret stealth tax ?

Cheers
Dougie

Tax amount depends on what you earn, it's like the UK - different bands for different pay.

List here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...u=5053&mfp=001

Only thing on top of that is Medicare at 1.5% (there is extra if you earn over a certain amount, it was $100k for families last year and is supposed to be $150k now but I can't find that in writing anywhere on the tax website - didn't look that well though )

There are quite a few things you can claim back here at the end of the tax year - have a good look around the ATO site

Also - if you have a PR visa, and kids you may be entitled to Family Tax Benefit - see www.centrelink.gov.au for more info
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
Swollen Member

Great post Wendy,
Thanks some more stuff for me to sif through

Cheers

Dougie
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Great post Wendy,
Thanks some more stuff for me to sif through

Cheers

Dougie

Yeah, don't you just hate all the info overload

You'll be fine, it all sort of makes sense once you get here