what to expect?

Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

denboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to expect?

hi guys,
im a sparks heading out to perth in a couple of weeks i have my artc as mechanic and have some temp work lined up until i get licensed.
i am interested to hear from anyone who is working out there who can tell me what to expect on the wiring side of things, ie , standards and how they do things over there?
it would be great if you could share your experiences
cheers
denboy
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:05 pm
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice
Default Re: what to expect?

well there's no fuse in the plugs over here....
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

and theres no earthing in the switches out here

and there is no standards out here

and they chase diagonaly across walls here

and there is no proper earth bonding here

and they have sh1t tools here

and they still use a key to open their chuck here

lol
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

denboy;

if you are using galv conduit here you must provide an earth cable at all sockets & power points its as simple as that the earth must be continuos.

However if you are using a normal switch (pvc) no steel in site then there is no requirement for earthing at the switch.

Ive not seen any drills on site with a chuck key almost all are now twist on chuck's. don't bother with any 110 volt tools or transformers they are all 230v and must be run through an RCD for safety. I would say this Never ever touch a Neutral bar in a switchboard (fusebox) there is always current on the thing, best of luck mate.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Took me 12 months to get my Electrical Restricted licence in Perth. They don't rush these things
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

=Nu-Shooz;

Hell mate how things have changed before we came 10 years ago i applied for my restricted license from blackburn in the UK and spoke to the chief assessment officer for trades, he asked me some questions on electrical principles at HNC level, it was still fresh in the mind then and bingo they sent me a Australian card with a B class restricted license. i was so made up. then when you get here it means sod all you still have to do them exams for the A class. but we all get there in the end.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
=Nu-Shooz;

Hell mate how things have changed before we came 10 years ago i applied for my restricted license from blackburn in the UK and spoke to the chief assessment officer for trades, he asked me some questions on electrical principles at HNC level, it was still fresh in the mind then and bingo they sent me a Australian card with a B class restricted license. i was so made up. then when you get here it means sod all you still have to do them exams for the A class. but we all get there in the end.
Forgot to add: 12 months, college courses, exams...all to pay for (around $2000 all in all)
Hope to get the work in now, could have sunk long ago, don't know how people manage.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Nu-Shooz; just keep your head up mate, eventually you will get there, the $2000 sounds a lot.

when i came here i gave the electrical away and worked as a computer tech, after 8 years i did a short course at the Tafe in the evenings for 12 weeks then did the A class exams it was a nightmare to be honest, in victoria the fail rate is very high but i got there in the end, i still work as a networks tech also do electrical work at weekends.