British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   WA Job opportunities?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/wa-job-opportunities-819636/)

Getmebacktooz Dec 29th 2013 1:25 pm

WA Job opportunities??

Hi,

Ive been in perth for 5 months now, jumped though a lot of hoops to get here! Ive finished my gap training at college and all that remains is racking up 1500 to 2000 hours of supervised work ( so I've been told ) to get my A grade license. But that seems to be the problem most that i speak to companies don't want to know unless you have your 'a' grade!

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone else got their license by having to do all this cr*p? If so how did they go about getting employment?

Thanks in advance!

colinmaclec Jan 4th 2014 7:00 am

Re: WA Job opportunities??

I was one of the first to do the gap training and completed it in around 10 months due to working a lot of overtime( would have been quicker but had to wait for a comms test, capstone etc). As for getting a job well that can come down to luck tbh. I am on my 3rd job now keep moving for more money but before I had a license i applied for loads and never got replies to most. You will have to do a comm's course and trade test 4 days each plus a load of homework too. I got all my jobs through the paper. Seek is a total waste of time as most of the jobs don't exist or are just advertised to comply with law as they already have someone in place. There are a lot of people applying for the same jobs now and its not like it was here a few years ago. Also check gumtree as jobs are advertised there too. What kind of background do you have? The type of job and pay can vary hugely. In domestic work you could be paid as little as $20-$25 without a license. If you have a lot of industrial experience a company may pay you over $35. It is certainly not easy for sparkies coming here now

old.sparkles Jan 20th 2014 5:09 am

Not sure if this will work - http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...d&e=0419220de0

but skillshortagesolutions looking for spark nr Perth - company approved sponsor and sponsorship may be available

Downundergraham Feb 4th 2014 5:28 am

It seems like it's going to be a nightmare for any sparks going out there now. I don't understand how it can be legal for sparks on WHV's or not the main visa applicant to get an ARTC and license in a few weeks, yet if you have OTSR you have to do the gap training. Surely it's discrimination.

Deyan Feb 8th 2014 9:16 pm

Are you sure about that. It's changed, even with an ARTC they still have to do the gap training.

Downundergraham Feb 9th 2014 2:16 am

You don't have to in Victoria.

SparkyAU Feb 9th 2014 5:53 am

IMO it appears that doing the right thing gets you penalised, once you get here it just seems to be a money sink hole.

colinmaclec Feb 10th 2014 8:26 am

I am pretty sure Victoria is gap training for both as well. As far as I am aware the only short cut for ARTC is in SA.

old.sparkles Feb 10th 2014 8:38 am

Originally Posted by colinmaclec (Post 11121383)
I am pretty sure Victoria is gap training for both as well. As far as I am aware the only short cut for ARTC is in SA.

That's what I thought. And NSW don't accept ARTC at all :eek:

Downundergraham Feb 12th 2014 8:09 am

You can do the LEA courses in Victoria if you have an ARTC, this has been confirmed to me. Best to check with ESV but you then should be able to get full license as it states this on their website.

This is not an option if you have an OTSR. If you have an OTSR then it is the gap training for every spark as has been pointed out many times by many people.