Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

craigphilip87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Yeah cheers guys..i think the immigration adviser was crap.....one of those cheap ones you see in the shopping centers in perth.

Ill try and find out what exactly is going on and ill keep you posted as to what the crac is.

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

jackthelad99 is an unknown quantity at this point

gud stuff
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

sisal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all new here so bear with me, i have all the relevent certificates in place ARTC etc but I am still in the UK. ( house selling?) I have just e mailed energy safety with regards to the two week course for my licence. Does anyone here know if it is possible to apply for the course from here or do you HAVE to be in Australia. Any advice would be great.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

AliPad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.
I'm sure enough all the questions I am about to ask have been answered in some way throughout this post but there is so much information im nearly confused now!!

Myself and my boyfriend are in Dublin Ireland. He is a qualified electrician and has been for the past 13/14 years. We are making the move to Oz hopefully in September. We have applied for our WHV just yesterday and are looking into the skilled independent visa with a hope to get residency.

We have gone through visafirst (if anyone else has???) and they have sent him out a starter pack on all information and forms he needs to fill out. It says the skilled assesment test will be 3950 euro. then once you get that back you send your application of. Does that sound right?

Another question we had was can he get his licence to work as an electrician while still in Ireland or does he have to be over there first?

Hopefully you guys can answer some of my questions!!! Thanks, Ali
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AliPad
Hi everyone.
I'm sure enough all the questions I am about to ask have been answered in some way throughout this post but there is so much information im nearly confused now!!

Myself and my boyfriend are in Dublin Ireland. He is a qualified electrician and has been for the past 13/14 years. We are making the move to Oz hopefully in September. We have applied for our WHV just yesterday and are looking into the skilled independent visa with a hope to get residency.

We have gone through visafirst (if anyone else has???) and they have sent him out a starter pack on all information and forms he needs to fill out. It says the skilled assesment test will be 3950 euro. then once you get that back you send your application of. Does that sound right?

Another question we had was can he get his licence to work as an electrician while still in Ireland or does he have to be over there first?

Hopefully you guys can answer some of my questions!!! Thanks, Ali
Hi there,
3950 euros just for the skills assessment seems a bit pricey to me.
I would approach another migration agent for a second opinion.
Also, you have to be in OZ to get a licence, although you can do some correspondence training whilst in Ireland , depending on which route you want to pursue in order to obtain a licence once you get there .
As you are going on a WHV it may be worthwhile applying for an ARTC from the TRA and then doing the two week course as described by the OP of this thread. It costs $300 to apply for an ARTC and about $1000 to do the course and then whatever it costs to actually pay for the licence.
This should negate the need to do the VETASSESS assessment in the future when applying for permanent residency.
Regards Derren

Last edited by derren7; Mar 31st 2011 at 6:41 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

SparkyDawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warren thomas
Hi all,

These are the step i took to get my WA Electrical Mechanic Licence,
My wife's a nurse so i already had my 457visa (the hard part)

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

2, 6th nov 2009, emailed energy safe to apply for my licence,
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

3, 9th nov 2009, emailed cet (collage of electrical training) about ETL course,
http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx
energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,
29th dec 2009 received my licence though the post!!!! yippee

yes it was that easy. thank's to steve'o for help along the way,

if i can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

good luck everyone,

Warren.
ps, happy as a pig in shit!!
Hi Warren,

Im sure you are sick of helping people out but thought I would ask anyway.
My husband and myself are starting the migration process but having to start by doing vetassess as we want a permanent visa as we have two young children. I was just wondering what my husband will have to do once we arrive in aus to get his full licence, we are wanting to live in NSW eventually but are happy with WA or Queensland to start with. Wayne has City and Guilds installation and commissioning of electrical /electronic systems.
NVQ Level 3 installation and commissioning of electrical and electronic systems with 10 years industrial work experience.
We have been told by downunder tradies that he will need to go to college and do 12 months gap training before he can get his licence but I have read your above post and Im thinking this is not the case. I don't want to pay £3000 for a 7 week course here and still only get his provisional if he can do it in aus in less time and less money.

Im guessing if we go through vetassess he wont need to do ARTC cause they give him this?
We are happy/wanting to move soon as possible so we need to look into visa options as well with the kids. Can anyone recommend any good agents?

Hope you can help because to be honest my head is in bits.
Donna
Old May 11th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

flossiebess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warren thomas
Hi all,

These are the step i took to get my WA Electrical Mechanic Licence,
My wife's a nurse so i already had my 457visa (the hard part)

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

2, 6th nov 2009, emailed energy safe to apply for my licence,
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

3, 9th nov 2009, emailed cet (collage of electrical training) about ETL course,
http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx
energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,
29th dec 2009 received my licence though the post!!!! yippee

yes it was that easy. thank's to steve'o for help along the way,

if i can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

good luck everyone,

Warren.
ps, happy as a pig in shit!!
Hey warren - great post!!!! did you go for PR at any point? I've got a 457 and want hubby to do what you have, hopefully bypassing vetassess over here. Were you able to apply for State SPonsorship via your process above?

THANKS!11
Old May 19th 2011, 7:09 am
Just Joined

podger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Mick,
If you go to a solicitor they'll just stamp and sign each photocopy. Seemingly, with the date ,just put down the date that you intend to arrive. It appears from other posters that this is what they have done and the TRA are fully aware that people do apply from overseas.
If you PM your email address I'll PM my CV for the kind of detailed info they're after.
Regards Derren.
well darren im kinda new to this and am on the same boat as mick...im not sure of how much detail i have to go into,would greatly appreciate if you could send me on your cv and other detailed stuff such as references from employers as the fef my employer sent me isnt detailed enough and im struggling here!!il pm my email and any help would b much appreciated..im starting to freak out as im coming close to my whv..
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

garyheidi7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im new on here just getting a bit of a headache with all this licencing procedure, so just wanted to ask if im right in the process my OH will have to go through. We'll be applying for our permanent residency through 176 visa, as we have a large family and want some stability, once visa comes through this is where i get a bit confussed, do we need to apply to get ARTC or because we have had to go through Vetessess route for visa do we need this? then give them an oz address which i can do to have it sent there before we get to australia and then OH could go out there to do a two week course ETL at college ?? is that right, i hope ive understood that right, any advice would be appreciated thanks..
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

neilmenezes is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=warren thomas;8212009]Hi all,

Thanks, for the info. I am presently in the process of applying for an ARTC and it is helpful info.

Neil
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyheidi7
Hi im new on here just getting a bit of a headache with all this licencing procedure, so just wanted to ask if im right in the process my OH will have to go through. We'll be applying for our permanent residency through 176 visa, as we have a large family and want some stability, once visa comes through this is where i get a bit confussed, do we need to apply to get ARTC or because we have had to go through Vetessess route for visa do we need this? then give them an oz address which i can do to have it sent there before we get to australia and then OH could go out there to do a two week course ETL at college ?? is that right, i hope ive understood that right, any advice would be appreciated thanks..
depends on which state you plan to live in,
can you let us know that way some one can point you in the right direction

steve
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

garyheidi7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,

Not totally decided on State to go for, we are starting our application in September it has to be where the work is to support our large family ha ha. Was thinking of Queensland, but from what ive been reading on here that particular state doesn't accept licences from other states if we took the route of going to do 2 week course in Perth?? if ive even got that right?? Thats why im trying to find out about the licencing now before we apply to a particular state for sponsorship, if that makes sense. Thanks Heidi.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:11 pm
MR.
Just Joined

MR. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Please please please a bit of help from you expert guys is needed here.

I have an ARTC Electrical fitter certificate (and license) and wanting to upgrade to an Electrical Mechanic license. Whats the easiest way to do so? Can I go and do it in SA Peer or maybe better of reapplying with TRA now when I've done my 12 months on job experience??

Any info would be greatly appreciated since I'm stressing out big times.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:22 pm
MR.
Just Joined

MR. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark the spark
hi to all new sparkies in WAtrying to get a WA electrical licence,i got trade recognised as a electrical fitter,dont know why when i did city and guilds electrical installation in uk,did the appropiate tests which due to numbers trying to do it took 3mths,passed got my licence,what the licence does allow is that after 12mths you can get a letter from your employer saying you can do installation work,if the letter is accepted you bypass the practical mechanic test and only have to do the short theory exam which im doing 2morrow,once i had the fitters lic i had no trouble getting work in the mining industry,they are so short of tradesmen that only having a fitters lic didnt seem to be a prob or thou most of the work i do is maintenance work,so guys dont get to worried if you get only a fitters lic just do what i did and do the mechanics test later,you really only need the mechanics lic if you want to go in to construction work straight away...
Hi Mark,

just read your post now while I was searching any info on how to from my Electrical Fitters to Electrical mechanics license.. Do you know what's the go with it? Have you ever end up doing ur El. mechanic's?
Please, how could I have a chat with you regarding all those jobs in the mines even with just an El. fitters license?

Sorry to bother you with all these questions but I'm simply lost at this stage and don't know what and where to go anymore..
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:05 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR.
Hi everyone,

Please please please a bit of help from you expert guys is needed here.

I have an ARTC Electrical fitter certificate (and license) and wanting to upgrade to an Electrical Mechanic license. Whats the easiest way to do so? Can I go and do it in SA Peer or maybe better of reapplying with TRA now when I've done my 12 months on job experience??

Any info would be greatly appreciated since I'm stressing out big times.
which state are you in ( besides confused )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.