Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:10 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all
Default WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Hi all,

These are the step i took to get my WA Electrical Mechanic Licence,
My wife's a nurse so i already had my 457visa (the hard part)

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

2, 6th nov 2009, emailed energy safe to apply for my licence,
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

3, 9th nov 2009, emailed cet (collage of electrical training) about ETL course,
http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx
energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,
29th dec 2009 received my licence though the post!!!! yippee

yes it was that easy. thank's to steve'o for help along the way,

if i can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

good luck everyone,

Warren.
ps, happy as a pig in shit!!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

JoeyLowtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Hi, i'm a 24 year old JIB approved electrician from UK. I was thinking of going down the VETASSESS route. Is the way you have gone, a possibility for me? Seems far cheaper and less hassle! I do not have a visa yet, would this be an issue? What are the definitions of electrical mechanic or fitter? I suppose I really am a general electrician, so may have to do the VETASSESS.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

bethc79 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi warren,
thanks very much for posting this info, its very helpful for us, would it be ok to pm you?
paul
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

minty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoeyLowtown
Hi, i'm a 24 year old JIB approved electrician from UK. I was thinking of going down the VETASSESS route. Is the way you have gone, a possibility for me? Seems far cheaper and less hassle! I do not have a visa yet, would this be an issue? What are the definitions of electrical mechanic or fitter? I suppose I really am a general electrician, so may have to do the VETASSESS.

Thanks in advance!
Jou have to do the vets route to get the visa mate. This is a shortcut after the visa.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by minty01
Jou have to do the vets route to get the visa mate. This is a shortcut after the visa.
Hi Minty , You can apply for an ARTC on a working holiday visa as stated on DEEWR website on eligibility for applicants.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:45 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bethc79
hi warren,
thanks very much for posting this info, its very helpful for us, would it be ok to pm you?
paul
Yes pm me no prob's, i'll help were i can.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:56 am
yorkshire born & bred

Thanks in advance!
NO avoid the VETASSESS route, it's long drawn out and very $$$$,
your under 30 mate apply for a working visa then a ARTC do it the same way as me, i'm sure there's nothing to stop you,
I myself was a JIB electrician just like you,
A mechanic is what you need to Apply for then you can work unrestricted, and do anything, UNRESTRICTED!!!
A fitter is a restricted liecence so you car'nt work alone, crap!! for people who work in factories, fixing brake downs on machine ect,

beware which state you get your liecence too, i here there's problems swapping them over now?? WA is a good one to have.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by warren thomas
Hi all,

These are the step i took to get my WA Electrical Mechanic Licence,
My wife's a nurse so i already had my 457visa (the hard part)

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

2, 6th nov 2009, emailed energy safe to apply for my licence,
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

3, 9th nov 2009, emailed cet (collage of electrical training) about ETL course,
http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx
energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,
29th dec 2009 received my licence though the post!!!! yippee

yes it was that easy. thank's to steve'o for help along the way,

if i can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

good luck everyone,

Warren.
ps, happy as a pig in shit!!
Hi Warren , congrats on gaining your licence. I think you've paved an excellent alternative to the PEER route and the info you have provided is excellent. I've just a couple of of quick questions for you . On your ARTC application form did you provide your Aussie address as current home/ residential address ? And where it asks what date did you arrive in Australia ,what dates did you enter seeing as you were applying from the UK. Also, did you have much trouble getting past employers to give you detailed reference? I've done a lot of agency work so they probably not electrically qualified to supply a detailed reference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, well done. Kind regards Derren
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Vetassess is the only way to go if you want a PR visa. You have no alternative. If you have already done the Vetassess route you get an OTSR certificate where you can apply to Energy Safety straight away and then do the 2 week course.

That's the route we'll be going down. Doing the ARTC is repetition if you already have to OTSR.

Warren, can you advise what books etc you need and what the course was like please?

Thank you!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Vetassess is the only way to go if you want a PR visa. You have no alternative. If you have already done the Vetassess route you get an OTSR certificate where you can apply to Energy Safety straight away and then do the 2 week course.

That's the route we'll be going down. Doing the ARTC is repetition if you already have to OTSR.

Warren, can you advise what books etc you need and what the course was like please?

Thank you!
That' s great news for or Vetassesed sparks. Personally, I can do the ARTC as were going on my wife's application as a nurse. Does anyone know of any equivalents of energy safety and PEER in Queensland. Cheers Derren
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by warren thomas
NO avoid the VETASSESS route, it's long drawn out and very $$$$,
your under 30 mate apply for a working visa then a ARTC do it the same way as me, i'm sure there's nothing to stop you,
I myself was a JIB electrician just like you,
A mechanic is what you need to Apply for then you can work unrestricted, and do anything, UNRESTRICTED!!!
A fitter is a restricted liecence so you car'nt work alone, crap!! for people who work in factories, fixing brake downs on machine ect,

beware which state you get your liecence too, i here there's problems swapping them over now?? WA is a good one to have.
So I apply for an WHV and then an ARTC through TRA? Then I need to go to WA in order to get my license? So say I "rock" up in Oz with an ARTC, how long will it take to get a license and then transfer that to somewhere I want to be ie Queensland? Also if I get licensed then, and have to go home when my WHV runs out, would I then be able to apply for other visa's cos I am licensed or would VETASSESS come into it again?
Which visa do you have?

Also with the 2nd year option on the WHV (the 3mth work thingy, it lists construction work, would working as a sparkie cover this).

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Also Warren, does your license for WA say electrical mechanic or electrician? Is it an A grade license? Just read through it and it seems pretty cool. Is there a definition of electrical mechanic that can be found anywhere. Cheers dude. Are you employed in Perth now, have you faced any trouble?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also Warren, does your license for WA say electrical mechanic or electrician? Is it an A grade license? Just read through it and it seems pretty cool. Is there a definition of electrical mechanic that can be found anywhere. Cheers dude. Are you employed in Perth now, have you faced any trouble?
Hi joey , Most state licences are for mechanic or fitter. SA licences just states Electrician and doesn't make a distinction between the two. Basically, a mechanic is an installation spark and a fitter is a maintenance spark. It's the mechanic one you need. Regards Derren
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

sounds cool Derren, but I just can't understand the role of VETASSESS then, if this can be done far easier and cheaper. Seems too good to be true.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sounds cool Derren, but I just can't understand the role of VETASSESS then, if this can be done far easier and cheaper. Seems too good to be true.
Vetassess is solely aimed at tradesmen seeking permanent residency. Considering you have to to do an in depth practical and theory test and provide the same amount of detailed evidence as for an ARTC it is certainly not easier. The reverse is true and a lot more expensive to boot. On whether you would have to go thru Vetassess when you return from your WHV and want to seek permanent residency, this I don't know. Common sense would dictate not. Hopefully, someone else might be able to answer that one. Regards Derren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.