Vic Uni - Skype Assessment

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

elainew2583 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vic Uni - Skype Assessment

Hi,

I thought i would share this with anyone who is doing the Vic Uni Skype interview for general electrician. I should have posted this when i did it last February but like every other Dad i dont get a lot of time.

Currently applying for PR Visa as the main applicant which is why i had to do the assessment. You can either do the Vetassess route which involves a practical or the vic uni route which has two parts. The first part they assess your qualifications. If this is ok you then get a date for the skype interview. My Skype interview was at Glasgow North College and found them very friendly and helpful.

Duration was about 1 1/2 hours - You might be thinking Sh** but to be honest the interviewer does a lot of the talking and was very friendly and relaxed. I wasn`t going to stop him and just let the clock keep ticking away. He basically goes through different subjects starting with basic electrical theory, health and safety, electrical science, electrical installation and so on. It will depend on what your experience was because they know what job history you have.

Some examples of questions they asked were:

Name 6 forms of electricity - Probably due to some nerves i answered wind, tidal etc but this wasnt what he was looking for, it was chemical, solar, static etc

Give an example of a risk assessment - just answer if you were about to do a job how you would carry out a risk assessment for a typical job

Give an example of isolating a circuit and diagnosing a fault - obviously here he is looking for safe working - remove fuse lock off, test and confirm dead, using approved testers etc - gs38 and so on.

What fixings you use at work, how to install cable tray, conduit etc.

He asked whats a short circuit and an open circuit

Describe how a split phase motor works. - Mention here the start wind, run winding, centrifugal switch and the phase shift.

How a house is wired from the mains supply - I just described the main components, earthing arrangements, typical radial circuits, typical fuse ratings etc - I also then started to describe inspection and testing and waffled for about 10 mins which he was quite happy for me to do

Whats the difference between b type c type and d type circuit breakers.

Like i said previously he does a lot of the talking and if he starts talking about a subject you are hot on just butt in and give an example of how you use it.

Afterwards i felt it went ok and looking at other threads i would recommend this over the vetts route which people have failed on (probably for silly testing for dead procedures).

The cost was $2400 so its not cheap but you need it for the visa process.

Hope this helps and good luck - I would recommend touching up on electrical science if this is a weak spot, but if you dont know an answer just be honest and say i cant remember.

All the best

Matt
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:35 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vic Uni - Skype Assessment

Originally Posted by elainew2583 View Post
Hi,

I thought i would share this with anyone who is doing the Vic Uni Skype interview for general electrician. I should have posted this when i did it last February but like every other Dad i dont get a lot of time.

Currently applying for PR Visa as the main applicant which is why i had to do the assessment. You can either do the Vetassess route which involves a practical or the vic uni route which has two parts. The first part they assess your qualifications. If this is ok you then get a date for the skype interview. My Skype interview was at Glasgow North College and found them very friendly and helpful.

Duration was about 1 1/2 hours - You might be thinking Sh** but to be honest the interviewer does a lot of the talking and was very friendly and relaxed. I wasn`t going to stop him and just let the clock keep ticking away. He basically goes through different subjects starting with basic electrical theory, health and safety, electrical science, electrical installation and so on. It will depend on what your experience was because they know what job history you have.

Some examples of questions they asked were:

Name 6 forms of electricity - Probably due to some nerves i answered wind, tidal etc but this wasnt what he was looking for, it was chemical, solar, static etc

Give an example of a risk assessment - just answer if you were about to do a job how you would carry out a risk assessment for a typical job

Give an example of isolating a circuit and diagnosing a fault - obviously here he is looking for safe working - remove fuse lock off, test and confirm dead, using approved testers etc - gs38 and so on.

What fixings you use at work, how to install cable tray, conduit etc.

He asked whats a short circuit and an open circuit

Describe how a split phase motor works. - Mention here the start wind, run winding, centrifugal switch and the phase shift.

How a house is wired from the mains supply - I just described the main components, earthing arrangements, typical radial circuits, typical fuse ratings etc - I also then started to describe inspection and testing and waffled for about 10 mins which he was quite happy for me to do

Whats the difference between b type c type and d type circuit breakers.

Like i said previously he does a lot of the talking and if he starts talking about a subject you are hot on just butt in and give an example of how you use it.

Afterwards i felt it went ok and looking at other threads i would recommend this over the vetts route which people have failed on (probably for silly testing for dead procedures).

The cost was $2400 so its not cheap but you need it for the visa process.

Hope this helps and good luck - I would recommend touching up on electrical science if this is a weak spot, but if you dont know an answer just be honest and say i cant remember.

All the best

Matt
Interesting. Never knew that. North Glasgow College or its former name. Springburn College. Thats where i was trained.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

I believe North Glasgow College also facilitate the vetts assessment, and also provide a course to practice the vetts assessment which i believe is good (including other trades by the way!!). However i would say the Skype interview is the way to go because you just answer the questions relevant to your occupation. Lets be honest if you go for a job in the UK they dont ask you to wire up a DOL starter or a bend some conduit. Then some poor bugger fails because he didnt test for dead properly.

Tick the box and move on, i have the joy of gaining the WA licence which is next if i get my PR visa hopefully.

Matt
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:50 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I believe North Glasgow College also facilitate the vetts assessment, and also provide a course to practice the vetts assessment which i believe is good (including other trades by the way!!). However i would say the Skype interview is the way to go because you just answer the questions relevant to your occupation. Lets be honest if you go for a job in the UK they dont ask you to wire up a DOL starter or a bend some conduit. Then some poor bugger fails because he didnt test for dead properly.

Tick the box and move on, i have the joy of gaining the WA licence which is next if i get my PR visa hopefully.

Matt
Good luck Matt. I've just realised that i may know your wife as we went school together and her cuz Eck is one of my good mates. Or i may be totally wrong.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Hi Mate thats us!! I assume its Rory. I will need to add you to facebook and get some valuable info off you.

Elaine already told me about you and your most recent arrival (congrats). Hows life in Sydney? We are in the final stages and waiting for the PR Visa. Elaines said you maybe coming back for a visit, if you are it would be good to catch up.

Eck is in the gypsy wagon this weekend celebrating the Jubilee down in great yarmouth. I will be sure to tell him i was chatting to you.

All the best

Matt
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:26 am
Freedom!

Hi Mate thats us!! I assume its Rory. I will need to add you to facebook and get some valuable info off you.

Elaine already told me about you and your most recent arrival (congrats). Hows life in Sydney? We are in the final stages and waiting for the PR Visa. Elaines said you maybe coming back for a visit, if you are it would be good to catch up.

Eck is in the gypsy wagon this weekend celebrating the Jubilee down in great yarmouth. I will be sure to tell him i was chatting to you.

All the best

Matt

Ye mate. It's me. Sydney is all good mate. Good luck with the PR stuff. Have you been over to Oz before? I'll be back Bellshill in December for about 10 days. I'm sure I'll arrange a few beers at the Carousel or something. Send my love to Elaine. BTW Eck is a pikey. lol Tell him I said that.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Irishsean is an unknown quantity at this point

Mat,

Thanks a million for the info I posted the question today when the answer was right under my nose.... good luck with the PR