Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ

Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ

Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:34 pm
Unofficial Aussie

D_Dubz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ

I'm also looking to move to Melbourne and going down peer route, but does it not look a bit strange applying for an Supervised license in Victoria then going to Adelaide to sit peer exam and apply for SA license then transfer to Victoria all in a matter of months?
Great if they don't question it and a lot of people on here have obviously done it in various states, but I would hate to waste time and money
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Sharps-3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyUK
Step 1
Go to your local Regulator and present your OSTR to be issued a provisional occupational licence/permit to allow you to work in Australia.

The Offshore technical skills record (OSTR) lists the technical skills that have been demonstrated against the UEE30807 Electricians qualification and the gap that needs to be bridged to meet the achievement of all the competency standard untits comprising the qualification and to meet the full requirements of the UEE30807 qualification.

Australian Electrocommas and Energy utilities regulators have agreed to provide a provisional (restricted) licence or permit on presentation of a OSTR. This permit allows candidates to work in Australia under the supervision of an employer, while the Australian knowledge component of each compentency standard of each unit is completed.

The contact details of each of the Australian industry regulators are included in the next post
Hi mate,
im moving out to melbourne on Jan 20th and have so far been a bit naive to think as an NIC registered spark with 13 years experience that this would hold me in good stead and be a breeze.. however these forums have woken me up a bit!

Thanks for all your info about the vertassess route, definately sounds simpler than the TRA/ARTC route, but could you explain how to go about gaining the OSTR? Is there anything that i can do from UK?

Cheers in advance, hope you're on your way to gaining your grade A

Tony
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sharps-3
Hi mate,
im moving out to melbourne on Jan 20th and have so far been a bit naive to think as an NIC registered spark with 13 years experience that this would hold me in good stead and be a breeze.. however these forums have woken me up a bit!

Thanks for all your info about the vertassess route, definately sounds simpler than the TRA/ARTC route, but could you explain how to go about gaining the OSTR? Is there anything that i can do from UK?

Tony
Also is it worth bringing out my 240V tools and also my multifunction tester? Can they be used? Also will be looking for work and watering holes once there so if you have any advice would be much appreciated!

Tony
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Also is it worth bringing out my 240V tools and also my multifunction tester? Can they be used? Also will be looking for work and watering holes once there so if you have any advice would be much appreciated!

Tony
bring them all
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi mate,

Tony
Hi Tony,
Just wondering if you already have a permanent resident visa or a working holiday visa because, if so, there is no point going down the VETASSESS route as it is a lot more involved and costly than applying for an ARTC.
If, however, you are applying for permanent residency then you are required to be assessed by VETASSESS for migration purposes.
Regards Derren
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Tony,
Just wondering if you already have a permanent resident visa or a working holiday visa because, if so, there is no point going down the VETASSESS route as it is a lot more involved and costly than applying for an ARTC.
If, however, you are applying for permanent residency then you are required to be assessed by VETASSESS for migration purposes.
Regards Derren
Thanks Wendy.

Derren thanks for reply, i am adjoined to my partners subclass 457 visa as her company are sponsoring her. After much reading and researching i will be going down the ARTC route, but realise now that it wont be quick or easy! Will have to just go to the beach and revise all my old college work!

Tony
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Thanks Wendy.

Derren thanks for reply, i am adjoined to my partners subclass 457 visa as her company are sponsoring her. After much reading and researching i will be going down the ARTC route, but realise now that it wont be quick or easy! Will have to just go to the beach and revise all my old college work!

Tony
Hi Tony,
If you have served an apprenticeship it's highly unlikely that you will be asked to do a trade test for an ARTC as long as you provide enough evidence of your training and experience ie detailed references from employers , certificates, and any other documentation.
It appears that the TRA require those that have not done an apprenticeship or equivalent type of training to do a trade test which usually amounts to a telephone interview consisting of about twenty? questions on electrical theory ( do you know what a centrifugal switch does? I bloody well do now)
My own position is that my employer at the time of my apprenticeship is unable to give me a reference as their records do not go back that far (20 years ago) but I have copies of a training contract, college reports and I'm in the process of obtaining an 'emigration letter' from the JIB for about £15.
It also appears that a JIB ECS gold card is also high regarded.
Hope this helps
Regards Derren
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tony,
If you have served an apprenticeship it's highly unlikely that you will be asked to do a trade test for an ARTC as long as you provide enough evidence of your training and experience ie detailed references from employers , certificates, and any other documentation.
It appears that the TRA require those that have not done an apprenticeship or equivalent type of training to do a trade test which usually amounts to a telephone interview consisting of about twenty? questions on electrical theory ( do you know what a centrifugal switch does? I bloody well do now)
My own position is that my employer at the time of my apprenticeship is unable to give me a reference as their records do not go back that far (20 years ago) but I have copies of a training contract, college reports and I'm in the process of obtaining an 'emigration letter' from the JIB for about £15.
Hope this helps
Regards Derren
Hi Derren thanks for reply, a great help.

I didn't serve an apprenticeship, back in 1998-2001 i put myself through college whilst working for a company who's details i have lost. I have subsequent employers until the start of my own company 5 years ago, so have all accounts up to date.
I also have all my college work and certificates including subsequent 17th edition training and confirmation of NIC EIC membership (a similar emigration letter), also written confirmation from 2 wholesale accounts; do you think this will be adequate?

Where abouts are you based? We are going to Melbourne in January.

Regards Tony
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Derren thanks for reply, a great help.

I didn't serve an apprenticeship, back in 1998-2001 i put myself through college whilst working for a company who's details i have lost. I have subsequent employers until the start of my own company 5 years ago, so have all accounts up to date.
I also have all my college work and certificates including subsequent 17th edition training and confirmation of NIC EIC membership (a similar emigration letter), also written confirmation from 2 wholesale accounts; do you think this will be adequate?

Where abouts are you based? We are going to Melbourne in January.

Regards Tony
Hi Tony,
Bear in mind that if you have not served an apprenticeship, the TRA require a minimum of 7 years experience. The references you get must be quite detailed, stating the type of work you did.
I am still gathering my evidence together and I'm going to have to write a few stat decs as one of the companies I used to work for has gone out of business and I've worked for a few agencies over the years and they're not able to write a detailed reference as they are not electrically qualified.
Just provide as much evidence as you can. Some people have even provided photos of themselves working. I going to provide copies of 'permits to work' that have been issued to me. Any documents that back up your claim to be a fully qualified electrician will help.
I'm a Londoner who has been living in Edinburgh for the past 8 years.
We're moving to Brisbane , seemingly, a lot more quickly than we thought because we've just been assigned a CO who has just requested police checks and meds. Better pull my finger out!
Regards Derren
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

larchinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
no you can do the peer course with either the vetteses cert or an artc from the tra, the only differnce is that you will have to have filled in a log book for the vetts cert pathway, ie worked under supervsion
Hi steveo
you seem to be the man that is in the know on this forum need a bit of advice mate i am in london trying to get over to the gold cost i am awaiting my vetesess practical assessment i am also about to sign up to the gap training in london run by trades down under as this is costing 3k vetesess is costing about 2k in all in your opinion is this the best way to go as money is tight and do not want to pay out if not necessary in other words do i need to do them both.
cheers mate would appreciate your input
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

NANOOOO is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been a great help think tRA is the way forward for me

Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NANOOOO
This has been a great help think tRA is the way forward for me

Thanks
Hi there,
welcome to the forum. Yep, get yourself an ARTC. But note, you can only apply for one after you have been granted your working holiday visa
Regards Derren

Last edited by derren7; Apr 12th 2011 at 9:23 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

paulgrossi83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony,
Hope this helps
Regards Derren

Hi Darren. Is this 100%, I'm about to submit all my documentation and have all the letters and certificates but nowhere have read you don't have to sit the vetassess trade test. Would be an absolute bonus if I didn't.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

FAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really niceFAIRGO is just really nice

Hello Paulgrossie83, look at this link which should answer most of your questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Most sparkies go down the Vetasses route as the process for applying for the visa. If your partner is the main applicant, then you can go down the TRA route once youve arrive in Australia. I think thats correct.
Ive gone down the Vetasses route because I was the main visa applicant. Give me a shout if Ican provide any info mate.
I applied for State sponsorship and then visa. Everything now completed, visas granted, flights booked for visa validation trip end of March. The next hurdle will be coming back and selling the house etc.
Best of luck with your research.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

ozydeaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone done the trades practical test in Perth for permanent migration. Its a one day practical exam, got mine in a week and just after a heads up on what sort of pracs there going to put me threw, mainly concerned about the DOL motor part, if anyone has done and can tell me what they went threw that would be great cheers