British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/vetassess-wtf-do-i-do-now-im-oz-684386/)

SparkyUK Sep 7th 2010 8:27 am

Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ

All i can do is tell you what i went through when i landed in melbourne to get my "L" grade Eletrical licence.

There doesn't seem to be much info on what to do when you land, as i found out. It was just one big mess to be honest, just seemed like i was going from pillar to post. And all i was getting is nothing but stress about it. I looked on the net and got the address for TRA and went down to see them about it, they just told me i had to do more of their tests, and would cost a fair bit. After walking away thinking sod it, i phoned the migration agent that i had used, basically asking her advice. She gave me the address and phone number of Vetassess in Melbourne. The following morning i went down to Vetassess, spoke to the receptionist to explain why i was there. She sent for a very helpful young woman who sat me down with a cuppa and explained a few things to me, along with providing me with a booklet which i SHOULD have recieved but didnt. Before Vetassess there was the Atrc/Tra route to come here, which many here came through and can explain a lot more about that route better than me, and artc/tra is still a way into Australia. Vetassess was set up to enable people to come here via a more practical route. Completing the vetassess skills assessment is in the technical component for the Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30807) qualification (basically aussie version of the city & guilds part2). And as such we get an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR).

So you are now in Australia, had a week to get over jetlag and thinking What the F@*K do i do now. I will now copy from the booklet and put it in the following two post

SparkyUK Sep 7th 2010 8:27 am

Re: Vetassess WTF do i do now im in OZ

Step 1
Go to your local Regulator and present your OSTR to be issued a provisional occupational licence/permit to allow you to work in Australia.

The Offshore technical skills record (OSTR) lists the technical skills that have been demonstrated against the UEE30807 Electricians qualification and the gap that needs to be bridged to meet the achievement of all the competency standard untits comprising the qualification and to meet the full requirements of the UEE30807 qualification.

Australian Electrocommas and Energy utilities regulators have agreed to provide a provisional (restricted) licence or permit on presentation of a OSTR. This permit allows candidates to work in Australia under the supervision of an employer, while the Australian knowledge component of each compentency standard of each unit is completed.

The contact details of each of the Australian industry regulators are included in the next post

SparkyUK Sep 7th 2010 8:28 am

State/Territory
Organisation
Phone
Website

New South Wales
Office of Fair Trading
02 9895 0111
www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/building.html

Victoria
Energy Safe Victoria
03 9203 9700
2/4 Riverside quay
Southbank
Melbourne
www.esv.vic.gov.au

South Australia
Office of consumer and business affairs
08 8204 9696
www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing

SparkyUK Sep 7th 2010 8:28 am

Queensland
Electrical saftey office
Department of employment and industrial relations
07 3225 2000
www.deir.qld.gov.au

Northern Territory
Electrical licensing Board
08 8999 5516
www.electricallicensing.nt.gov.au

Australian Capitol Territory
ACT planning and land Authority
02 6207 1923
http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/custome...ation/industry

Western Australia
Energy Safety
Department of consumer and employment protection
08 9422 5282

Tasmania
Electrical standards and safety
Workplace standards Tasmania
03 6233 7831

SparkyUK Sep 7th 2010 8:29 am

I am in Victoria thats why i know the address, i went there and presented my OTSR (along with my UK qualifications), As for the other address's just phone them and ask there address.

Its that easy, just get your ass down to the licensing people,I had my licence number there and then, but the plastic version took 1-2 weeks to get to me, employers can easiler check up if they quote your number and you are waiting for your licence to arrive. When mine arrived it says "Supervised" and "L" grade on it BUT it is valid for 3 years. I will be enroling for peer soon, get my SA licence and then transfer it to my state then.

There are a lot of people here with a great knowledge of the peer route and i will proberly need there help and they will help you all to. Just keep on the forums and remember, when your qualified, stay in touch. its great to help each other out, and next time you could be helping someone out.

P.S.
Any mod want to pin this then that would be nice :)

p.p.s
Please dont go on about the typos been a shite day and i have lysdexia :)

ppss
Remember vetassess is totally separate from tra there are two routes into OZ, this applies to vetassess only.

Lee and Joanne Sep 8th 2010 6:07 am

Don't you still need the TRA certificate to get a SA licence

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

SparkyUK Sep 8th 2010 6:43 am

Not sure, I'm in Victoria, Have not got that far yet. This will only enable you to get an "supervised" license, which then enables you to get a job. Which i now have both, just gathering funds to get myself the rest of the way to "A" grade now. But it will get you the supervised license.

steve`o Sep 8th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lee and Joanne (Post 8833282)
Don't you still need the TRA certificate to get a SA licence

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

no you can do the peer course with either the vetteses cert or an artc from the tra, the only differnce is that you will have to have filled in a log book for the vetts cert pathway, ie worked under supervsion

SparkyUK Sep 8th 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for clearing that up steve.

FAIRGO Sep 19th 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 8834732)
no you can do the peer course with either the vetteses cert or an artc from the tra, the only differnce is that you will have to have filled in a log book for the vetts cert pathway, ie worked under supervsion

Steve O, you make it sound like there is a choice of which route we go down? Can the TRA route be taken, really? VETASSESS say NO. Immi suggest not. WA Government sponsorship web site says VETASSESS.

Cant apply for permanent residency visa without a VETASSESS OTSR. Do you know something I dont? Im not critisising mate, just needing a little enlightening. Thanks for all your posts, always good info

Mark.

steve`o Sep 19th 2010 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by FAIRGO (Post 8859736)
Steve O, you make it sound like there is a choice of which route we go down? Can the TRA route be taken, really? VETASSESS say NO. Immi suggest not. WA Government sponsorship web site says VETASSESS.

Cant apply for permanent residency visa without a VETASSESS OTSR. Do you know something I dont? Im not critisising mate, just needing a little enlightening. Thanks for all your posts, always good info

Mark.

we are not talking about visa`s mark just licencing
for a visa via the uk its vetts only ;)

FAIRGO Sep 19th 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry Steve O, will remove foot from my mouth now!

steve`o Sep 19th 2010 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by FAIRGO (Post 8860047)
Sorry Steve O, will remove foot from my mouth now!

no probs mate its a bit of a mine field trying to work it all out one thing that got me at that stage was that peple kept abbreviating things which made it so much more difficult for me to work out

tra artc rto tafe ostr etc etc etc :rofl:

sonic.trip Sep 19th 2010 11:03 pm

sparky uk, out of curiousity is there much work over there in melbourne at the moment?

SparkyUK Sep 24th 2010 10:49 am

Not a lot, but if you can get on with the smart metering installs its not a bad screw. I'm self employed but getting a decent wage, although its abit of messing about, BUT i only have my "L" grade licence :D. and around the new year they are saying there after another 80-150 installers.