Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

VETASSESS v ARTC - Moving to Australia

VETASSESS v ARTC - Moving to Australia

Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VETASSESS v ARTC - Moving to Australia

Hi everyone, after ready so much information my head is spinning. Basically im looking for a definative answer to which route if the best for me.

Looking at the VETASSESS route it looks very expensive and indepth however you can apply for a 175 skilled migrant visa with it. First question how long does this visa entitle you to in Australia?

Now looking at the ARTC path it looks alot cheap and simpler however what type of visa are you eligable for once you have been approved for this? Also how long does this last before it runs out? I hope to move in about two years so would obtaining it now be a waste of time?

Please help which option is better?

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VETASSESS v ARTC - Moving to Australia

Originally Posted by r10ley
Hi everyone, after ready so much information my head is spinning. Basically im looking for a definative answer to which route if the best for me.

Looking at the VETASSESS route it looks very expensive and indepth however you can apply for a 175 skilled migrant visa with it. First question how long does this visa entitle you to in Australia?

Now looking at the ARTC path it looks alot cheap and simpler however what type of visa are you eligable for once you have been approved for this? Also how long does this last before it runs out? I hope to move in about two years so would obtaining it now be a waste of time?

Please help which option is better?

Thanks r10ley
175 is a PR skilled visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...migration/175/) - that means it is permanent and you are entitled to live in Australia indefinitely, and apply for Citizenship once you satisfy the criteria (ie, been here 4 years etc)

ARTC is only a skills assessment* and doesn't guarantee you a visa at all, just like the vetassess assessment doesn't guarantee you a visa.

You are only entitled to apply for an ARTC if you have a valid visa anyway. If that visa is a temporary one, then the ARTC will not assist at all in getting you another visa, you would need to satisfy all the other criteria for the visa you apply for as well. I can't really give you any more info on visa you can apply for whilst in Australia because it would depend on whether you could find a sponsor, and if you did which visa they are willing/entitled to apply for.

(*A skills assessment does not entitle you to a visa, it's just a way of assessing your UK skills against a set of criteria that Aus sparkies would be required to satisfy to gain a qualification. This helps them identify if you are qualified to Australian standards. )

Migrating to Australia is a very long and expensive process. There are ways to make it all quicker, but they are generally not always the easier options.

I really do think you should do an online visa eligibility test, and speak with a migration agent to get all your options. They don't charge for an initial consultation and it would help you to clarify your options. You can always say no when they ask if you would like to sign up with them
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Wendy you've been a big help after talking to my partner about all this as she's been away it turns out she can get a 457 visa as she's a midwife and as her partner can jump onto this. Does this make a difference?

Thanks

r10ley
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy you've been a big help after talking to my partner about all this as she's been away it turns out she can get a 457 visa as she's a midwife and as her partner can jump onto this. Does this make a difference?

Thanks

r10ley
457 is temporary, so be very careful on that visa. Lots of people do come over on one, and manage to get on very well, and even get PR at the end of it. But some do come over, hate their jobs and either get stuck with it or end up leaving the employer and therefore Australia (you only have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave!). Do a search on 457 on the forum, and you'll get some really good insight into the pro's and cons of this visa. Also remember that as a temporary resident things like medicare will be limited and you will have to have private medical insurance. You won't be entitled to any benefits etc etc

My opinion is to look into a PR sponsorship? so a 856 or 857 visa maybe http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...-permanent.htm

Or look into applying for a 175 skilled visa as you may be able to claim extra points for your skills? (I haven't looked, so could be wrong though)
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

I assume being tied to a single employer will only apply to my partner and I would be free to work for whoever or am I mistaken?

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I assume being tied to a single employer will only apply to my partner and I would be free to work for whoever or am I mistaken?

Thanks r10ley
No, not mistaken - that's correct.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi I'm back again : ) looking for a little advice. Still not sure which route to take yet but I think I understand things a little more. The VETASSESS route is still just a skills assessment however it shud allow u to get a skilled migrants visa, however if I can get on my partners visa an option wud be to complete an ARTC forms from the TRA to assess my skills. If this is wrong feel free to correct me : )

The next question is what to apply for. Looking at the VERASSESS form the only option I can apply for is electrician (general) is this the right option and will it limit me?

Looking at the ARTC form I can apply for electrician (general) or electrician (special class) what is the difference and which is the best to go for?

Final question I promise : P where do the terms electrician mechanic/fitter fit into the whole equation I've seen people talk about them but haven't seen them in any forms.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Hi I'm back again : ) looking for a little advice. Still not sure which route to take yet but I think I understand things a little more. The VETASSESS route is still just a skills assessment however it shud allow u to get a skilled migrants visa, however if I can get on my partners visa an option wud be to complete an ARTC forms from the TRA to assess my skills. If this is wrong feel free to correct me : )

The next question is what to apply for. Looking at the VERASSESS form the only option I can apply for is electrician (general) is this the right option and will it limit me?

Looking at the ARTC form I can apply for electrician (general) or electrician (special class) what is the difference and which is the best to go for?

Final question I promise : P where do the terms electrician mechanic/fitter fit into the whole equation I've seen people talk about them but haven't seen them in any forms.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks r10ley
Hi there,
When you apply for an ARTC then general Electrician isn't an option.
The options are Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter.
My original application to tra was as General Electrician, but this was only for the visa application.

Hope this helps, and good luck...
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi ericks thanks for your input. I think im gettijng confused and looking at the wrong form. This is the ARTC form:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...AppForm1-8.pdf

Ive been looking at the Migrations skills assessment form:

I take it ive been looking at the wrong form : /

Im a little confused do I need to fill out any forms before the ARTC form and do I need a visa to fill out this form?

Thanks for your help.

r10ley
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

No worries,
I was told that i had to have a visa before applying. But i read on the ARTC application form later that you can apply, but they would only issue the ARTC once you have "permission" to work in Australia. If you are unsure about the process feel free to contact them, i did and they helped me.

Greetings
Erick
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi ericks thanks for your input. I think im gettijng confused and looking at the wrong form. This is the ARTC form:

Ive been looking at the Migrations skills assessment form:

I take it ive been looking at the wrong form : /

Im a little confused do I need to fill out any forms before the ARTC form and do I need a visa to fill out this form?

Thanks for your help.

r10ley
Originally Posted by ericks
No worries,
I was told that i had to have a visa before applying. But i read on the ARTC application form later that you can apply, but they would only issue the ARTC once you have "permission" to work in Australia. If you are unsure about the process feel free to contact them, i did and they helped me.

Greetings
Erick

Yep, what Erick said.

You need to separate the need for a skills assessment for a visa, and the need for a skills assessment for a licence to work in Australia. These are two different things altogether.

To apply for a visa, based on electrician skills from the UK then you need Vetassess. There's no other way for you to be able to apply for the visa. You will need to still go through a different process to get licensed to work here though!

If you don't need a visa - as in the case of your OH being able to get one, or you are here as on a working holiday visa etc, then you can bypass the vetassess part and just go straight into the assessment with the Trades Recognition for a Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) to enable you to apply for an electrical licence - be aware that you'll also need to pass the TAFE or PEER course though (PEER is probably the easiest).

It all seems very complicated I know, but it's not that bad once you get your head around the process. If you can decide whether you or your girlfriend is going to be the main applicant maybe we can give you a step by step guide?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

So you gained a visa before filling out the ARTC form? What type of visa did you obtain and how did you go about it. Is the form I had been looking at got nothing at all to do with this whole process?

Thanks for your help

r10ley
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Aaaa that last post things realy started to fall into place! Kinda : P so if I was on my own and required a 175 visa I'd have to do the vetasses course to assess my skills for a visa. Once you have the visa do you then need to complete the ARTC form or is it just a case of then going to aus and completing their regs course.

If I get on my partners visa I don't need to be assessed for a visa however the ARTC form will assess me for my skills however I'd have to complete an aus wiring regs course.

Please tell me I'm somewhere near lol

Thanks

r10ley
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you gained a visa before filling out the ARTC form? What type of visa did you obtain and how did you go about it. Is the form I had been looking at got nothing at all to do with this whole process?

Thanks for your help

r10ley
It was a whole different process when we applied, but still relatively the same process. The steps are:

For a skilled independent visa:

1 - apply for a skills assessment, which enables you to apply for a visa - ie: vetassess if you come from the UK. This will allow you to claim points for you profession. Without it, you can't simple as that.

2 Apply for the visa. This is different depending on qualifications, points etc.

Once you have a visa, and come to Australia you then need a licence to work as an Electrician here.

the process for this is:

1 - Apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC)

2 - Attend a wiring rules course at TAFE in your state, or attend the PEER Course in South Australia.

3 - Pass the test and get your certificate

4 - Apply for a licence

note that if you want to work as a contractor, or be self employed you'll also need to be licensed for that as well
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aaaa that last post things realy started to fall into place! Kinda : P so if I was on my own and required a 175 visa I'd have to do the vetasses course to assess my skills for a visa. Once you have the visa do you then need to complete the ARTC form or is it just a case of then going to aus and completing their regs course.

If I get on my partners visa I don't need to be assessed for a visa however the ARTC form will assess me for my skills however I'd have to complete an aus wiring regs course.

Please tell me I'm somewhere near lol

Thanks

r10ley

Yes, that's it exactly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.