Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

VETASSESS, HELP ,FAILED PAPER COMPETENCY PROFILE

VETASSESS, HELP ,FAILED PAPER COMPETENCY PROFILE

Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

jsrigby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VETASSESS, HELP ,FAILED PAPER COMPETENCY PROFILE

Hi anyone out there,
Failed my competency profile as sparky due to apparent lack of evidence.
Did not send in a stat dec,has anyone got a template or sample.
Also any other tips and information on what else i can send or say for the appeal would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VETASSESS, HELP ,FAILED PAPER COMPETENCY PROFILE

Hi, so what did you send in? Are you using an agent? How long have you been a sparky? At what level are you qualified to? To the best of my knowledge their is no sample paper, it is all done on your own merits, just list jobs you have done from start to finish, installation methods, tools used, tests carried out. Be sure to list all types of installation methods from twin an cpc to micc. xlpe swa, galv trunk n tube, but no fibs just be true and thorough, worked for me but have been at it for 22 years.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Hi, so what did you send in? Are you using an agent? How long have you been a sparky? At what level are you qualified to? To the best of my knowledge their is no sample paper, it is all done on your own merits, just list jobs you have done from start to finish, installation methods, tools used, tests carried out. Be sure to list all types of installation methods from twin an cpc to micc. xlpe swa, galv trunk n tube, but no fibs just be true and thorough, worked for me but have been at it for 22 years.
this is what they look for so cover each item in your work experiance and refs

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Hi jason,my name is jason and also been a sparky for 22 years,hope we are not cloned mate.Qualified to 17th edition,running one man band buissness for last 8 years and a registered nic domestic installer(think this went against me on profile as vetassess thinks i can only do house bashing) but i have had 20+ years experience in industrial, commercial and all types of electrical installations.Did not fill in the common units section(did not understand) big mistake.Any help greatly appreaciated.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
this is what they look for so cover each item in your work experiance and refs

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.
Hi steve ,can do all of the above but ovbviously did not get this across to vetassess in the correct terminology.Will i ever?.Any help greatly appreaciated.Feeling insulted as to failing first hurdle, i can do the job.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsrigby
Hi steve ,can do all of the above but ovbviously did not get this across to vetassess in the correct terminology.Will i ever?.Any help greatly appreaciated.Feeling insulted as to failing first hurdle, i can do the job.
heres on of my refs and my work experiance as an example
hope it helps

regards steve

ps i sent this in re nic

My company xxxxxxxx Electrical Services applied for an was accepted as an approved contractor in the NIC ( National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting ) My NIC approved company number Is xxxxxxxxxx ( this can be verified on the NIC website www.niceic.org.uk )

To become a NIC approved contractor you have to be qualified to at least city & guilds 239 testing and verification standards ( I have a higher qualification the City & Guilds 240 )
And to have worked within the electrical contracting industry for the two years prior to your application, as part of the application one of the NIC`s own inspecting engineers visits your place of work to check your qualifications, your knowledge of the current IEE ( Institute of electrical engineers ) wiring regulations, your previous work and certification.
On my visit the inspecting engineer picked out two installations at random and one periodic inspection, I then spent a full day taking him around these jobs whilst he checked that my work and certification was to the high standards expected by the NIC

One of the benefits of being in the NIC is that most commercial and industrial clients and consultants will now only use companies who are approved by either NIC or ECA
( Electrical Contractors Association )

Excerpt from the NIC web page

Why chose a NIC approved contractor?

About 12,500 fires a year are reported as having an electrical source, which includes faulty or inadequate wiring.

Cables, switches, socket-outlets and other equipment deteriorate with prolonged use, so they all need to be checked and necessary replacements or repairs made in good time.

Our aim is to protect everyone who uses electricity from unsafe electrical installations in their homes, places of work and leisure. In order to achieve this, we maintain a register (Roll) of electrical contractors that we have assessed as complying with the Council's rules. The assessment covers a representative sample of the contractors' electrical work, their premises and documentation, and the competence of their key supervisory staff. Once contractors become NICEIC Approved Electrical Contractors, they are re-assessed every year by one of the Council's Area Engineers to confirm that their business and the technical standard of their electrical work continue to comply with the Council's rules.

Enrolment with the NICEIC is voluntary, but electrical contractors that are competent and conscientious about the service they offer customers would consider it a priority to enrol.

There are more than 10,500 Approved Contractors on the Roll, covering the whole of the UK, including Northern Ireland. This means that you're sure to have a choice of Approved Contractors operating in your area. You can find an Approved Contractor by searching the Roll of Approved Contractors by postcode.
It is imperative that electrical work is carried out only by those with the necessary knowledge, skill and experience of the type of electrical work to be undertaken to enable them to avoid the dangers to themselves and others that electricity can create. It's easy to make an electrical circuit work - it's far more demanding to make the circuit work safely. Safety for you in your home is paramount; therefore the NICEIC strongly recommends that you choose an Approved Contractor to carry out your electrical work.

As a further guarantee of good work, all NICEIC Approved Contractors must issue certificates for all work carried out in accordance with the national standard BS 7671, Our Certificates page gives more details.

In the rare cases where a consumer is not satisfied with the technical standard of an Approved Contractor's electrical work, the NICEIC offers a complaints resolution service. The NICEIC expects its Approved Contractors to provide quality services to customers so, subject to certain limitations and conditions, we endeavour to resolve all complaints about the technical standard of their work. If a customer and an Approved Contractor are unable to resolve an alleged deficiency in the technical standard of electrical work, the customer can make a formal complaint to the NICEIC. All complaints falling within the scope of the NICEIC complaints procedure will be investigated and where a complaint is substantiated, the deficiency will be rectified at no additional cost to you. See our Complaints section for more details.

Last edited by steve`o; Nov 11th 2008 at 5:48 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

You can pass
Bear in mind that the plonkers assessing you in australia are skills assessors, not sparkies.
Go back to the specific competence clusters and focus as much as possible on them. They are pretty generic so just write as much as you can think of, no matter how simple it may seem to you. As an example i used 2 or 3 A4 sheets per competence, with the heading " A personal work experience statement - Installing electrotechnical systems " or whatever the competence was called.
I also included relevent printed photos of me carrying out the task for each competence, employer statements which i wrote and got the ex gaffers to sign, drawings which id worked to and industry membership paperwork - JIB, NIC, Health and Saftey stuff...etc

The best advice i can give is just follow the competence clusters and if you honestly havnt worked a lot on something ( motors are a common one ), then just let your imagination do the talking!!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonsparx
You can pass
Bear in mind that the plonkers assessing you in australia are skills assessors, not sparkies.
Go back to the specific competence clusters and focus as much as possible on them. They are pretty generic so just write as much as you can think of, no matter how simple it may seem to you. As an example i used 2 or 3 A4 sheets per competence, with the heading " A personal work experience statement - Installing electrotechnical systems " or whatever the competence was called.
I also included relevent printed photos of me carrying out the task for each competence, employer statements which i wrote and got the ex gaffers to sign, drawings which id worked to and industry membership paperwork - JIB, NIC, Health and Saftey stuff...etc

The best advice i can give is just follow the competence clusters and if you honestly havnt worked a lot on something ( motors are a common one ), then just let your imagination do the talking!!
Hi jon thanks for the vote of confidence,seems like i need a lot more information for the vetassess crew .Cheers jason.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
heres on of my refs and my work experiance as an example
hope it helps

regards steve

ps i sent this in re nic

My company xxxxxxxx Electrical Services applied for an was accepted as an approved contractor in the NIC ( National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting ) My NIC approved company number Is xxxxxxxxxx ( this can be verified on the NIC website www.niceic.org.uk )

To become a NIC approved contractor you have to be qualified to at least city & guilds 239 testing and verification standards ( I have a higher qualification the City & Guilds 240 )
And to have worked within the electrical contracting industry for the two years prior to your application, as part of the application one of the NIC`s own inspecting engineers visits your place of work to check your qualifications, your knowledge of the current IEE ( Institute of electrical engineers ) wiring regulations, your previous work and certification.
On my visit the inspecting engineer picked out two installations at random and one periodic inspection, I then spent a full day taking him around these jobs whilst he checked that my work and certification was to the high standards expected by the NIC

One of the benefits of being in the NIC is that most commercial and industrial clients and consultants will now only use companies who are approved by either NIC or ECA
( Electrical Contractors Association )

Excerpt from the NIC web page

Why chose a NIC approved contractor?

About 12,500 fires a year are reported as having an electrical source, which includes faulty or inadequate wiring.

Cables, switches, socket-outlets and other equipment deteriorate with prolonged use, so they all need to be checked and necessary replacements or repairs made in good time.

Our aim is to protect everyone who uses electricity from unsafe electrical installations in their homes, places of work and leisure. In order to achieve this, we maintain a register (Roll) of electrical contractors that we have assessed as complying with the Council's rules. The assessment covers a representative sample of the contractors' electrical work, their premises and documentation, and the competence of their key supervisory staff. Once contractors become NICEIC Approved Electrical Contractors, they are re-assessed every year by one of the Council's Area Engineers to confirm that their business and the technical standard of their electrical work continue to comply with the Council's rules.

Enrolment with the NICEIC is voluntary, but electrical contractors that are competent and conscientious about the service they offer customers would consider it a priority to enrol.

There are more than 10,500 Approved Contractors on the Roll, covering the whole of the UK, including Northern Ireland. This means that you're sure to have a choice of Approved Contractors operating in your area. You can find an Approved Contractor by searching the Roll of Approved Contractors by postcode.
It is imperative that electrical work is carried out only by those with the necessary knowledge, skill and experience of the type of electrical work to be undertaken to enable them to avoid the dangers to themselves and others that electricity can create. It's easy to make an electrical circuit work - it's far more demanding to make the circuit work safely. Safety for you in your home is paramount; therefore the NICEIC strongly recommends that you choose an Approved Contractor to carry out your electrical work.

As a further guarantee of good work, all NICEIC Approved Contractors must issue certificates for all work carried out in accordance with the national standard BS 7671, Our Certificates page gives more details.

In the rare cases where a consumer is not satisfied with the technical standard of an Approved Contractor's electrical work, the NICEIC offers a complaints resolution service. The NICEIC expects its Approved Contractors to provide quality services to customers so, subject to certain limitations and conditions, we endeavour to resolve all complaints about the technical standard of their work. If a customer and an Approved Contractor are unable to resolve an alleged deficiency in the technical standard of electrical work, the customer can make a formal complaint to the NICEIC. All complaints falling within the scope of the NICEIC complaints procedure will be investigated and where a complaint is substantiated, the deficiency will be rectified at no additional cost to you. See our Complaints section for more details.
Hey Steve thanks for the ref and work description,helps a lot.
Nic eic Domestic Registered Installers dont seem to hold much weight with vetassess.

Cheers jason.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

jsrigby;

did you put in writing your industrial experience its crucial you add everything you have done in your educational & work pathway.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:26 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Sorry to slightly go OT
but who thinks that photos on the job help or not?

Cheers

Dougie
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Sorry to slightly go OT
but who thinks that photos on the job help or not?

Cheers

Dougie
My wife would kill me suggesting photos on the job, but i suppose if it gets the visa. Let me know how you get on!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:18 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by moriarty711
My wife would kill me suggesting photos on the job, but i suppose if it gets the visa. Let me know how you get on!
suppose it`ll stop em reading his work experiances
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:22 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by jsrigby
Hey Steve thanks for the ref and work description,helps a lot.
Nic eic Domestic Registered Installers dont seem to hold much weight with vetassess.

Cheers jason.
i think they do mate
enrolment in any job related organisations has to help
spell out just how difficult is is to get approval with the niccy inspectors checking of your work and reporting methods etc which i assume is very similar to what ive added above re NIC
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

attach a copy of your city and guilds syllabus to this will give them plenty to read I have some if you need them depending on which ones you need. I also sent them photos of work I had completed in stages.I have sent you a stat dec format as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.