Vetassess

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vetassess

Originally Posted by nexsuperne
I'm going to the Ministry Of Defence tomorrow to see if they can supply the paperwork needed, as my apprenticeship was with them. Although it was completed in 1994....

Oh, and I do have a degree in Environmental Science, but that isn't relevant here.
I had my paperwork stolen during a burglary, and I managed to get a copy of my indentures from 1996 - and that was British Steel, who became Corus, and is now Tata Steel

But no idea how that compares to trying to get apprentice papers out of MOD
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light

Fingers crossed! Otherwise I can still prove over 7 years time tested experience with detailed references. Only got 27 days to get the paperwork to Vetassess...email would be so much easier!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed! Otherwise I can still prove over 7 years time tested experience with detailed references. Only got 27 days to get the paperwork to Vetassess...email would be so much easier!
Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light

No luck with the MOD today. They only keep records for 6 years.... however I did get over 100 works orders from one of the companies I have subbed out to since 2007, all very detailed, and I can match them up with the invoices against each order, so I can prove that I have been carrying out electrical work for at least the last 6 years, plus I have a couple of references from other customers that state I have been working for them since 2004.
I'm going to phone vetassess tonight to see if that's enough to keep them happy.

Last edited by nexsuperne; Dec 3rd 2013 at 7:04 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Good news! I have just spoken to Vetassess, and they are quite happy for me to send my works orders as a subcontractor to them, as proof of working as an Electrician. So that half a tree of paper goes off tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

NewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really nice

hi guys just to keep you updated.

so going through vetassess you have to

1. provide all details like certs. references and accounting info if self employed. $600 ish

if successful

2. you have a practical assessment which includes a theory test not so hard and practical was pretty easy too see my above posts. $1875 if i remember correctly
and if this is successful then you get issued your provisional licence from energy safety (well in WA at least)

this allows you to work supervised if you can manage to find someone who will employ you on this basis as most companies will only want to take on a fully qualified as in have WA A Grade licence.

3. during this period you have to complete an online log book of your electrical work.

4. at any point after the practical assessment you have to complete the australian context gap training which is 2 weeks basic revision of most things and they take you through the regs and you have to do practical assessments on their testing procedure, fault finding on a dummy board, fault finding motors transformers etc and also a 30 question theory exam and they take you through a half day cpr coutrse which you get a cert. for which lasts a year and needs to be updated yearly.
you need to have a copy of their regs book all of which you can downlaod in their library and print of for reasonable cost.

as/nzs 3000:2007 with amendments 2
for WA
WAER free download from energy safety
and
as/nzs 3008.1.1:2009 cable selection

this 2 week course is pretty easy dont stress too much about it however costs $2500 and then you have to do what they call a capstone which is pretty much the english AM2 which is included in the $2500. so more of the same practical tests and theory tests (i have not completed these just yet).

5. before you do the cap stone you have to have completed the telecoms course/test which which through them if you have some data experience you can do a 4 day course costing $700 or if lots of experience you can have a stab at the exam and practical at no extra cost (so i have been informed so far but they usually spring extras on you). if you have no experience at all they suggest you go through integracom i believe the company is called and do a full course of which i have no details.

also before you do the capstone you have to do some homework assignments which you need the regs
as3001 and as3004

6. capstone

so once you have completed the vetassess
papers assessment
theory and practical assessment
gap training
assignments
log book (roughly 1000 hours)
elective (data/telecoms)
capstone

then you can get your a grade licence long and expensive process $6000 ish and if you are already employed and have no more holiday entitlement then obviously whatever you would of earnt in those periods with leave without pay.

but dont let it put you off so long as you are now forewarned and forearmed with what to expect as none of this was relayed to me at all in any of my discussions with them. your earning potential is far greater than in england at least average sparky rate in perth not rural or in mines is roughly $35 an hour once qualified here more if you can get in with the right mob and certainly more if you work up in the mines.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by NewDad
hi guys just to keep you updated.

so going through vetassess you have to

1. provide all details like certs. references and accounting info if self employed. $600 ish

if successful

2. you have a practical assessment which includes a theory test not so hard and practical was pretty easy too see my above posts. $1875 if i remember correctly
and if this is successful then you get issued your provisional licence from energy safety (well in WA at least)

this allows you to work supervised if you can manage to find someone who will employ you on this basis as most companies will only want to take on a fully qualified as in have WA A Grade licence.

3. during this period you have to complete an online log book of your electrical work.

4. at any point after the practical assessment you have to complete the australian context gap training which is 2 weeks basic revision of most things and they take you through the regs and you have to do practical assessments on their testing procedure, fault finding on a dummy board, fault finding motors transformers etc and also a 30 question theory exam and they take you through a half day cpr coutrse which you get a cert. for which lasts a year and needs to be updated yearly.
you need to have a copy of their regs book all of which you can downlaod in their library and print of for reasonable cost.

as/nzs 3000:2007 with amendments 2
for WA
WAER free download from energy safety
and
as/nzs 3008.1.1:2009 cable selection

this 2 week course is pretty easy dont stress too much about it however costs $2500 and then you have to do what they call a capstone which is pretty much the english AM2 which is included in the $2500. so more of the same practical tests and theory tests (i have not completed these just yet).

5. before you do the cap stone you have to have completed the telecoms course/test which which through them if you have some data experience you can do a 4 day course costing $700 or if lots of experience you can have a stab at the exam and practical at no extra cost (so i have been informed so far but they usually spring extras on you). if you have no experience at all they suggest you go through integracom i believe the company is called and do a full course of which i have no details.

also before you do the capstone you have to do some homework assignments which you need the regs
as3001 and as3004

6. capstone

so once you have completed the vetassess
papers assessment
theory and practical assessment
gap training
assignments
log book (roughly 1000 hours)
elective (data/telecoms)
capstone

then you can get your a grade licence long and expensive process $6000 ish and if you are already employed and have no more holiday entitlement then obviously whatever you would of earnt in those periods with leave without pay.

but dont let it put you off so long as you are now forewarned and forearmed with what to expect as none of this was relayed to me at all in any of my discussions with them. your earning potential is far greater than in england at least average sparky rate in perth not rural or in mines is roughly $35 an hour once qualified here more if you can get in with the right mob and certainly more if you work up in the mines.
Souns about right - in SA you can get funding for the gap training which saves you the $2500. License fee wa around $400 for provisional though if I remember correctly. Everyone I did gap training with was either working before hand, or has found work since. Depends on what you do for pay and conditions - and you may not earn more here than the UK
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

$35 an hour for an A grade sparks, or roughly £20 an hour? That's terrible!
I make £30-35 an hour all day long here in the UK as an NICEIC Approved Contractor, carrying out a mix of domestic and commercial work.
I have friends in Melbourne making $70-80 a hour, and could work 18 hours a day if they wanted to. But then they have the REC ticket.

How come the skills conversion from UK to Aus sparks is nearer to $6000?
Vetassess stage 1 is $600
Vetassess stage 2 is $1500
MACGT is from $2000 (WA) -$2500 (everywhere else)

Which only makes it from $4100 to $4600.

Where is the extra $1400-$1900 going?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:41 pm

$35 an hour for an A grade sparks, or roughly £20 an hour? That's terrible!
I make £30-35 an hour all day long here in the UK as an NICEIC Approved Contractor, carrying out a mix of domestic and commercial work.
I have friends in Melbourne making $70-80 a hour, and could work 18 hours a day if they wanted to. But then they have the REC ticket.

How come the skills conversion from UK to Aus sparks is nearer to $6000?
Vetassess stage 1 is $600
Vetassess stage 2 is $1500
MACGT is from $2000 (WA) -$2500 (everywhere else)

Which only makes it from $4100 to $4600.

Where is the extra $1400-$1900 going?
The pay rate quoted wont include penalty rates - and it all depends on where you are working and what you are doing.

As for costs - there is licensing to add in and the cost of books plus any other tickets you need not covered by MACGT - white card for example
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ok. Thanks for the info. I will get a bit more money together for this.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Need to phone Vetassess again tomorrow, as no news on the website for if they have received my additional information, and they were on answerphone on Thursday night (9.30am Friday in Melbourne). Time is seriously short. Info must be with them by 30th December, and between Christmas post delays and Christmas holidays, I am starting to panic....
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Another update. Vetassess finally received the additional information I had sent, and just in time! They extended the date to 13th January from the 28th December, due to their 2 week xmas shutdown, and the post delays. I got confirmation of documents received this morning. They have contacted companies that I sub out to via email, and they responded within a day. That was on the 6th January, so hopefully stage 1 will be complete soon.

So my questions are these; How long can I delay stage 2 before I have to go for it? How long is the final verdict valid for?

Thanks,
Myk
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

jamesS85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have completed the certificate 3 in eltrotechnology in perth. Because I have the aus qualification I am eligible to apply for pathway 2 skills assessment, which exempts me from the practical aspect but I still have to do technical interview. My agent thinks they may call me in for face to face interview, although it may be on phone or via skype. I would really appreciate any tips or advice on the technical interview and any other information you may have regarding it. Thanks