Vetassess

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vetassess

Originally Posted by beckysteve
Hello everyone.

I am due to do my vetassess on the 22nd February. I was initally bricking it but i've calmed down now as i've seen so much information that has been posted by very kind people that have been in my situation.

I am about to order some books to help with my revision. I've been advised to order Electrical Installation Calculations Vol 1 and Practical Guide to inspection, testing and certification of electrical installation.

Is this correct?

Are there any other books that you can recommend?

Cheers for your help
elec cals one has i belivebeen superseeded by thison
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-I...496179-9306133
whic at 10 quid isnt going to break the bank

ditto
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-In...5659270&sr=1-1

good luck its like been back at tech

steve
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

georgieboy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys, new on here.
i will be doing the vetassess on feb 22 in london as well. do i need a proving unit for my voltage indicators or will they supply one? and also does anyone know what the parking is like around the college?

thanks in advance, this seems like a good place to come for valuable information.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

I have been looking for vetassess reviews all day and this is the best one I have come across, after seeing some people describe it, I initially shit myself but now reading this I think it could be ok.

It seems like a smaller scale version of the AM2 which I no trouble with.

Theory - Multiple choice so as long as you get your head in the book should be ok.

Practical - Seems straight forward.

Resistance box - Not sure what went on here but said it was easy.

Testing - Enjoy fault finding, but the heater was an interesting one, thought they would just put the fault on the actual circuit not the appliance its supplying.

DOL Starter - Very concerned about this because I thought you dont have a wiring diagram, but with one should be easy enough, similar to the motor in the AM2.

Thanks for the info mate, my confidence has just shot up.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

johnny.w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georgieboy01
hi guys, new on here.
i will be doing the vetassess on feb 22 in london as well. do i need a proving unit for my voltage indicators or will they supply one? and also does anyone know what the parking is like around the college?

thanks in advance, this seems like a good place to come for valuable information.
Done mine in blackburn in Aug and took proving unit but they had one there.
Also didn;t need batt drill or hard hat. Dont know if london is the same but cant imagine it being much different.
The info on this site was a great help to me and the test was basically as sparky uk has spelled out.
We never had the resistance box one.
Just remember to use prov unit before and after every use of voltage tester.
Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Biggaf here is the thread I brought it to the start for you read all this and you shouldnt have a bother in passing it.

Goodluck mate
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all
Smile Re: Vetassess

Cheers elect42, this is a great help. Thanks again.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

No problem if ur unsure about anything just ask questions here everyone will be able to help out and make you confident for the exam.

Motor critical if you cant get it working correctly fail as you should be able to read a circuit chart.

The rest easy as you'd do onsite apart from disconnect reconnect read the threads mate and youll fly through it the pack they give is quite confusing!

Goodluck
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Not that bothered about the practical side of the exam, just the theory. I've just downloaded the Elec calcs vol 1 book thats been talked about on here, so I'm gonna have to have me head stuck in this for the next 4 days!
The forums on here are great for advice, and I don't think I'd have gotten this far without them.
Once I'm over this hurdle then its visa app ahoy. Can't wait!!!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

peteandkateoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyUK
After seeing a few questions about the vetassess day i decided to put my day into words, hopefully it my help some people.

When i did my vetassess in blackburn. It considered of the following sections.

Theory exam which consided of a number of question, they would not state the pass mark required. The exam itself was a multiple choice questions.

revise ohms law, series/parallel resistance and capacitence, 3 phase power calculations etc. I bought a book off amazon for about £7, and its brilliant gives examples/answers. I worked through the book and the theory exam was an absoloute doddle. The book is "Electrical Installation Calulations vol1" by A.J. Watkins, its that good i also bought vol 2 (advanced) and keep them with me always.
REMEMBER its multi choice if you dont have a clue then guess one of the answers, you have a 25% chance of getting it right vs NO chance, that can make the difference.

The 2nd part was working on a board mounted on a wall (like a testing bay). This had a fuseboard only mounted on it. I was given a drawing to add a light, a socket and a two way light. The wiring is in singles running in 20mm PVC Conduit.
BE CAREFUL the drawing has dimensions on it, and the will measure (with your tape measure) the distance from the board to the conduit, socket & lights. My advice draw the runs in pencil then just cover the lines, simple as that. They will normally be one set in the PVC Conduit. For the wiring just wire in the standard loop-in method (mentioned singles wiring i.e council spec, and he didnt have a clue). Now once you have done it and your happy recheck it, check that all switches are wired the right way round, esp the 2-way light switch (both switchs in the off postion = light off). Use a continuity tester to check it out, or if you have brought your own test gear use that. So once your happy present it to the examiner (you can alter whatever you want, but once presented THAT is what your marked on, no changes allowed).

At this point he will give you a plug lead so you can power the board up and check your work, lights working, right dimensions etc (this is why you checked it all out with a continuity tester 1st, you know it works). Presuming everythings working and right, you will be asked to unscrew switchs, sockets etc but dont disconnect, UNPLUG 1st and disconnect the lead. Then unscrew switches/sockets. The reason for this is the examiner will take off the switches/sockets to make sure the connections are doubled over.

The 3rd section was a resistance box, where you did series/parrallel etc, and wrote the results down on a sheet (examiner keeps this as part of your pack). This is a doddle section so i wont dwell on this.

The 4th section was the testing while i can only tell you the scenario that i had.

REMEMBER SAFE ISOLATION PROCEDURES
Study the safe isolation untill it becomes 2nd nature, There is no room for errors here, this is critical.

scenario
Old lady had a heater repaired, not happy called you into test it.

Wooden board with a fuse board mounted, 2 circuits 1 light 1 spur the heater. The circuits are unidentified. Identify circuits as turning the board off is not an option nor%
Hi Excellent info thank you!,

The only bit I am unfamilier with is:
''The 3rd section was a resistance box, where you did series/parrallel etc, and wrote the results down on a sheet (examiner keeps this as part of your pack). This is a doddle section so i wont dwell on this.''

Can you explain in detail this bit in more detail as I have never done this before.

Many Thanks Pete
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

It was about this time last year A few off us went on this I thought of people maybe setting this exam.

So brought it back to the front for help to anyone doing this exam soon.

Goodluck
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

timisfunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyUK
After seeing a few questions about the vetassess day i decided to put my day into words, hopefully it my help some people.

When i did my vetassess in blackburn. It considered of the following sections.

Theory exam which consided of a number of question, they would not state the pass mark required. The exam itself was a multiple choice questions.

revise ohms law, series/parallel resistance and capacitence, 3 phase power calculations etc. I bought a book off amazon for about £7, and its brilliant gives examples/answers. I worked through the book and the theory exam was an absoloute doddle. The book is "Electrical Installation Calulations vol1" by A.J. Watkins, its that good i also bought vol 2 (advanced) and keep them with me always.
REMEMBER its multi choice if you dont have a clue then guess one of the answers, you have a 25% chance of getting it right vs NO chance, that can make the difference.

The 2nd part was working on a board mounted on a wall (like a testing bay). This had a fuseboard only mounted on it. I was given a drawing to add a light, a socket and a two way light. The wiring is in singles running in 20mm PVC Conduit.
BE CAREFUL the drawing has dimensions on it, and the will measure (with your tape measure) the distance from the board to the conduit, socket & lights. My advice draw the runs in pencil then just cover the lines, simple as that. They will normally be one set in the PVC Conduit. For the wiring just wire in the standard loop-in method (mentioned singles wiring i.e council spec, and he didnt have a clue). Now once you have done it and your happy recheck it, check that all switches are wired the right way round, esp the 2-way light switch (both switchs in the off postion = light off). Use a continuity tester to check it out, or if you have brought your own test gear use that. So once your happy present it to the examiner (you can alter whatever you want, but once presented THAT is what your marked on, no changes allowed).

At this point he will give you a plug lead so you can power the board up and check your work, lights working, right dimensions etc (this is why you checked it all out with a continuity tester 1st, you know it works). Presuming everythings working and right, you will be asked to unscrew switchs, sockets etc but dont disconnect, UNPLUG 1st and disconnect the lead. Then unscrew switches/sockets. The reason for this is the examiner will take off the switches/sockets to make sure the connections are doubled over.

The 3rd section was a resistance box, where you did series/parrallel etc, and wrote the results down on a sheet (examiner keeps this as part of your pack). This is a doddle section so i wont dwell on this.

The 4th section was the testing while i can only tell you the scenario that i had.

REMEMBER SAFE ISOLATION PROCEDURES
Study the safe isolation untill it becomes 2nd nature, There is no room for errors here, this is critical.

scenario
Old lady had a heater repaired, not happy called you into test it.

Wooden board with a fuse board mounted, 2 circuits 1 light 1 spur the heater. The circuits are unidentified. Identify circuits as turning the board off is not an option nor%

hello mate.. i know your post has been on here a long time but wondered if could ask u a quick question.... you said The 3rd section was a resistance box, haha might be adoddle to you.. but what is it???? sorry for maybe sounding stupid i got the exam comin up and im just a house basher unfortunately.....
Old Sep 11th 2012, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

theox is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

got my practical assessment in blackburn on 18/09 was wondering if anyone had done there assessment recently and if it had changed much since many of the lads have written about on here.

Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

el diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theox
hi

got my practical assessment in blackburn on 18/09 was wondering if anyone had done there assessment recently and if it had changed much since many of the lads have written about on here.

I'd like to know too. Can anyone help or is there a more recent thread here?

Hope it went well for you today, thoex.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Any chance a moderator could pin this thread to the top of the electricians forum? It's a pretty common request in here for information on the Vetassess practical

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

martinwferguson is an unknown quantity at this point

Useful information on this forum, is there anyone who has sat the vetassess general electrician practical test in the last few months who can verify if anything has changed since the original post?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.