Vetassess

Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vetassess

This exam paper can somebody tell me whats in it??

Is there conversions like kilo, mega, giga, milli, mirco, to mA, kW, Amps etc...??

Is there calculations on finding and working out cable calculations????

Mainly I dont want to bog down revising things that might nor even be on pass papers??

I havnt been schoolling in 6+ years apart from upgrading to the 17th edition and am rusty on alot of things even tho I have been at this 17 years!

Could anyone please shine some light on this thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

Have a look at the first thread at the top its very accurate, resistors and capacitors in series, parallel and series parallel. Dont worry about cable calcs there were none on mine which I done nearly 2 years ago in glasgow.

The practical is a piece of p-ss really, we al completed the complete test paper and practical by 2.00pm

Like i said just read up on resistors and capacitors, the sums and very easy
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mate, things like this people will always get a little nervous about especially when it means so much!

I did read all posts was wondering if there had to be more revision, but I got the book and revising through it.

Direct online motor could be the only tricky part havin wired one in years! Then again who really has in installation work!

Ill be revising this too!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Now to wire a DOL starter with thermal overload

Having researched quite abit as unsure now to wire a DOL 3 phase motor thermal overload here it is pictures and schematic good luck to all doing exam in December I am on the 3rd, hoping to lodge for visas before crimbo!

http://electrolesk.com/Work/Wiring%2...Contactors.htm
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

deanc is an unknown quantity at this point

hi elect42

I am to sure if the practical for uk is the same as the one in south africa but the dol is easy to do, you dont have to stress
and for the theory test i got some questions on transformers and sign waves a big part of the theory was about ohms law
and a couple of questions on power factor.
hope this helps
cheers
Deanc

Last edited by deanc; Nov 21st 2010 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

The main installation is in PVC conduit.

The letter vetassess send you lists all the topics you might be questioned on in the written exam, so just revise them.

I sat my exam in Blackburn in May and the electronics bit people have talked about wasn't a part of it, but if it is, from what people have mentioned on here it's pretty straight forward, so try not to worry too much.

You can't take the disconnection/reconnection check list with you when you do the testing part of the exam (at least, I'm pretty sure you can't), but I'm sure they're not expecting you to learn it off by heart, as long as you have a general idea you'll be fine. One thing to remember is to make sure you check the test gear on a known live source before and after each time you use it.

Just talk them through each step,

'First I'm going to let anyone in the area know I'll be isolating the supply'

'Now I'm going to perform a visual inspection on the appliance'

That sort of thing.

The examiners are very approachable, they know you're nervous and they'll offer hints if they see you struggling, and you can ask them questions as well of course.

Best of luck guys, let us know how you get on

Last edited by Lou_Diamond_Phillips; Nov 21st 2010 at 3:57 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys let yous know out come!
Head buried in books! Its like going back 2 13 years ago lol
When I finish those studies!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

mickhez is an unknown quantity at this point

is anyone going on monday to blackburn? my date is then! good luck to anyone doing assessment this period.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Next friday mate goodluck with yours, let us know how u got on!

I keep saying to myself its an assessment not an exam so if we show competences we'll pass HOPE
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Vetassess PRACTICAL COMPLETE

Well Im back from the assessment yesterday! What a day!!

1st of all make sure you have the right building as it is hard to find and 3 of us were sitting in wrong place for 2 hours! its not the university building or construction but if you ask for the main college reception they will tell you. Hopefully they will have signposted now as we all found it difficult to find.

assessor is a woman and she is really nice and laid back.

day consisted of;

PRACTICAL - from DB down in pvc pipe to radial socket. Also from DB to Pendant and then pvc to x2 switches. not going to mention this much as its easy.

D/C & R/C procedure - Bit of a roleplay exercise but just remember to lock off and explain you are leaving circuit safe when you are going back and forth from DB to Heater. (understand when you actually get there) But again common sense and simple.

Theory - for me i revised alot so i only found one or 2 questions hard. Need 3phase power calcs and series and parallel calculations.

DOL - Nightmare!!!! about 3 people on the day couldn't do it and instantly failed! Its only used to prove you can follow a wiring diagram. its mounted onto a whiteboard with push-in connectors next to the terminals and it puts you off with all the cables crossing one another. But as long as you learn which terminal goes to which and you will be fine. It took me a long time to get it then its just clicked! you have to explain to her how it works as such. What helped me is on the wiring diagram they give you to write the terminal numbers in it. like each side of the K1 (coil 1) is 95left and 96right and it helps you know where to connect to and from.

im sorry if it all seems confusing but im so tired as had a hard hazardous drive back from blackburn last night and just want the next 10days to pass quickly so i can get my outcome!

I done everything asked and pretty well except from the time it took for the DOL but i actually done it and not many did so hopefully ive passed..

Good luck...just focus on DOL ONLY!! its the killer!! p.s there is no series parallel resistor wiring.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:27 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

I took my test in London last year,I also got the DOL motor wrong the first time,I still passed...not a nice 10 days wait tho.
Youll be fine ..no worries
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks i hope so.. i have been counting the days down!!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Craigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all new to this thread and bricking it cause i hate exams. i'm hoping to find im panicking over nothing (but better than not worrying at all). Ive got my test on the 10th at Blackburn anyone else going on friday? Like everyone else it seems i cant really get my head round the dol motor and is there a lot of rms questions and three phase power calculations.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated

Craigo
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

dont panic just take your time, the questions aint nothing difficult first year apprentice questions really. There were no 3 phase questions on mine mostly to do with capacitors/resistors in series and parallel.

Dont worry about the dol its really simple. If you get the time see if you can download connection details for the starter. Most people forget to pick up a feed for the stop/start circuit.

when I was doing mine other guys spoke to the examiners who where sound blokes and explained they hadnt really done any dol stop/start circuits and they told them to have a go and helped them to rectify there mistakes.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Craigo,

have a look at this and see if it helps

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...sess+questions

search on here for vetessass questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.