vetasses practical tools?

Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice
Default vetasses practical tools?

Hi all i have got my vetassesment this coming monday in London, i am hoping to go on my bike. Can any body advise me on what tools to take as i have limited bag space.
many thanks
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all
Default Re: vetasses practical tools?

See you there pal. Are you nervous, cos I am!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggaf
See you there pal. Are you nervous, cos I am!
Yes a bit mate not sure what to make of the safe isolation procedure?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:52 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 808shaun808
Yes a bit mate not sure what to make of the safe isolation procedure?
Hey. I have not done the vetasses. But i may be wrong. But isnt safe isolation just switching the breaker off , putting a padlock on and a sign?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

english reject will become famous soon enough

No no no Jockstar, remember to TEST your meter then Test your meter on the known source, then Test your meter then Test your meter you cant TEST it enough, you must allways check the meter !!!!!!. When I did mine it was a guy called Roger ( nice fella who puts you at ease ) he was red hot on the safe isolation ( do it as in the Vetassess down load ) I dont think you can take it in to the practical but i maybe wrong. The AM2 is a lot worse mate this is more your part P I have been informed.

ER
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:03 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by english reject
No no no Jockstar, remember to TEST your meter then Test your meter on the known source, then Test your meter then Test your meter you cant TEST it enough, you must allways check the meter !!!!!!. When I did mine it was a guy called Roger ( nice fella who puts you at ease ) he was red hot on the safe isolation ( do it as in the Vetassess down load ) I dont think you can take it in to the practical but i maybe wrong. The AM2 is a lot worse mate this is more your part P I have been informed.

ER
Forgot about test the meter test meter things. Its been nearly 20 years since i passed my trade test.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:27 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

ER
have you got a link for this?

steve
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice

ER
Same as in the UK if you ever did am2 or were NICEIC

You can use a known live supply to prove your meter instead of a proving unit(ie feed side of the main switch will still be live when it is switched off )

As in AS/NZS 4836:2001

6.3 TEST EQUIPMENT CHECKS
When voltage detectors such as voltage testers are used to prove de-energization, they shall
be tested for correct operation immediately before use, and again immediately after use,
particularly if the test result indicates zero voltage, to confirm that the instrument is still
working correctly.
Test equipment shall be checked for accuracy of operation at appropriate intervals
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Heres a link to the General Electrician page, which has the isolation/reconnection process http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...0(General).pdf
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggaf
Heres a link to the General Electrician page, which has the isolation/reconnection process http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...0(General).pdf
thanks biggaf

Electrical Disconnection and Reconnection Process

Disconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential services?
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Ensure the frame of the equipment is not 'LIVE' by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.

Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation after use.

Take operational details of appliance. Eg. kW and voltage.

Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).

Complete details on danger tags. Eg. Name, date, fault, etc.

Affix danger tags to isolation points. Eg. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard, etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Before touching appliance conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and known earth.

This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the known earth.

The appliance conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog and lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.

Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box. Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix Danger Tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Reconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Notify personnel of return to work site.

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational ratings. Eg. kW, amperes, voltage, etc.

Test Insulation Resistance & Continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.

Carry out the insulation resistance test of the appliance. Test between all active and neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.
• Not containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 1 Meg Ω
• Containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 0.01 Meg Ω

Before touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and the known earth. This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.

Carry out continuity test on final sub-circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. (This test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipment terminals and before the power has been restored).

Notify personnel of restoration of power.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation. Eg DOR. (Direction of Rotation).

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Note: Testing the voltage tester for correct operation after use is critical when the candidate is going to touch the conductors/components on the belief they are de-energised.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: vetasses practical tools?

Hey all had vetassessment on Monday, I think all went well!
The assessor Dean was a good bloke for an ozzy ha, hi Dean, he says he looks at these forums sometimes.
The day goes pretty much as others have described on this forum, thanks to them for bothering to take the time to describe there day.
With regards to the tools bring what the prep sheet which will be issued to you prior to your lovely day out.ha
I would also take pipe cutters and small level,
Swat up on ohms law, 3phase power, capacitance,inductance, 1st year stuff only 20 questions.
Safe isolation it's piss easy just keep testing for potentially live and keep checking your testers, keep talking yourself though every process and pretend that the fuseboard is in another room.
Start stop motor circuit is a dodle just follow the drawing you can't go wrong.
Hope this helps.
Also met some nice guys there good luck to them
All the best
Shaun
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Hello Shaun,
Nice to meet you on Monday mate. Like you said Dean was more than helpful, and gave us some info on how the system works now the points system has changed on July 1st. He said that ALL sparks, after entering Oz, must do the gap training and this also means WA, which mucks my plans up of doing it in 4 months. I don't know how hard it will be to get a job over there if your classed as a provisional and need to take time off to go to college to study, or if the unions will need to tell the companies that this is the way forward.
Like he was saying, theres the forcast of AU$250-400billion worth of work to come off over there in the mining and oil/gas industry so surely the companies will need to take provisionals on board.

Cheers
biggaf.

p.s. Before I wipe them off my computer I have pdf files of the intallation calculations books(vols I and II) plus the Cambridge IELTs 7 revision book on pdf file. I only used these books for revision and they were well needed!!
p.m. me if anybody wants them, cos they'll be off the system in a few days.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

deanc is an unknown quantity at this point

"He said that ALL sparks, after entering Oz, must do the gap training and this also means WA, which mucks my plans up of doing it in 4 months."

Hi Biggaf, does this gap training only concern the sparkie's that enter after july 2011.

Regards
Deanc
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

I think so, but maybe someone could clarify this who knows a bit more about it.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:26 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by deanc
"He said that ALL sparks, after entering Oz, must do the gap training and this also means WA, which mucks my plans up of doing it in 4 months."

Hi Biggaf, does this gap training only concern the sparkie's that enter after july 2011.

Regards
Deanc
no its always been the case i did mine with chris at qet.com.au ( queensland electrical trainng ) back in 06 its an au wiring course showing you the au wiring regs etc

steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.