Upskilling

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:39 am
Just Joined

AdrianIre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upskilling

Hi there,

I am considering doing an advanced diploma in Industrial Automation through EIT. just wondering if anyone has any experience with their courses and also if anyone has experience in the Automation field. The course also covers instrumentation and electronics as well as other areas such as mechanical and chemical engineering and process control. I am currently working as an Electrician but am starting to find electrical work very boring. I've had my A Grade since 2008 and have a Cert IV in instrumentation and have also got a Diploma in Electronics from Ireland. The course is a little expensive at a cost of around $9000 and takes 18 months to complete online but that wouldn't bother me too much if it enable me to move into a more technical role at the end of it. Does anyone know what my job prospects would be after doing such a course?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upskilling

Originally Posted by AdrianIre
Hi there,

I am considering doing an advanced diploma in Industrial Automation through EIT. just wondering if anyone has any experience with their courses and also if anyone has experience in the Automation field. The course also covers instrumentation and electronics as well as other areas such as mechanical and chemical engineering and process control. I am currently working as an Electrician but am starting to find electrical work very boring. I've had my A Grade since 2008 and have a Cert IV in instrumentation and have also got a Diploma in Electronics from Ireland. The course is a little expensive at a cost of around $9000 and takes 18 months to complete online but that wouldn't bother me too much if it enable me to move into a more technical role at the end of it. Does anyone know what my job prospects would be after doing such a course?
I've looked at their courses before but not done any. Have you thought about programming at all?

What area are you currently working in as well?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

I've thought about doing programming too and possibly doing a plc or scada course. I currently work in mining.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:13 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about doing programming too and possibly doing a plc or scada course. I currently work in mining.
There's a few online plc courses that are not too expensive - but how they would be viewed by employers here is something else. Also TAFE's here do plc programming often by distance learning which may be cheaper and more useful than the EIT course. Plus you have advanced diplomas and degrees.

I always worked as industrial tech in UK covering electrical and controls so can program to a certain degree and fault find / debug programs as well as some SCADA - I always find there is much more to keep you interested. Was a martian before coming here so a lot of instrumentation too.

Sorry, probably not a lot of help to you.

If you are in mining now - where do you see yourself going? What role would be your ideal and what qualifications do you need. If you don't know the answers - do you know anyone doing the type of work you want? Even speak to someone at the local TAFE and see what suggestions they have - they often know where the gaps in the market are
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There's a few online plc courses that are not too expensive - but how they would be viewed by employers here is something else. Also TAFE's here do plc programming often by distance learning which may be cheaper and more useful than the EIT course. Plus you have advanced diplomas and degrees.

I always worked as industrial tech in UK covering electrical and controls so can program to a certain degree and fault find / debug programs as well as some SCADA - I always find there is much more to keep you interested. Was a martian before coming here so a lot of instrumentation too.

Sorry, probably not a lot of help to you.

If you are in mining now - where do you see yourself going? What role would be your ideal and what qualifications do you need. If you don't know the answers - do you know anyone doing the type of work you want? Even speak to someone at the local TAFE and see what suggestions they have - they often know where the gaps in the market are
I will have a look at other course through TAFE. I'm not sure how much companies would value some of the online PLC courses as most companies look for practical experience. I don't see myself staying in mining for much longer as I'm not that keen on the FIFO lifestyle but for the now the financial benefits are worth the sacrifice. To be honest I just want to get away from construction and installation work in general and move into a more technical career and automation, instrumentation and PLC's would all be of interest to me. I just need to figure out the best way to get my foot in the door.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 4:41 am

I will have a look at other course through TAFE. I'm not sure how much companies would value some of the online PLC courses as most companies look for practical experience. I don't see myself staying in mining for much longer as I'm not that keen on the FIFO lifestyle but for the now the financial benefits are worth the sacrifice. To be honest I just want to get away from construction and installation work in general and move into a more technical career and automation, instrumentation and PLC's would all be of interest to me. I just need to figure out the best way to get my foot in the door.
Advanced diploma might be okay as that is more technical rather than practical - not sure of the cost though.

If the cost and time of the EIT course isn't an issue - maybe it would give you a place to start and see how it goes
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Advanced diploma might be okay as that is more technical rather than practical - not sure of the cost though.

If the cost and time of the EIT course isn't an issue - maybe it would give you a place to start and see how it goes
The cost is around $9000 for the course. I have been looking at jobs on seek that I may be able to apply for after completing the course and at present I'm trying to decide whether it is worth doing it. There does seem to be jobs out there for automation technicians but not sure how I would get on with my lack of experience in the area. I would hate to spend all the time and money doing the course and be still in the same position career wise at the end of it. But I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adrian

If it's any interest to you I am currently undertaking the EITs Advanced Diploma in E&I Engineering for O&G Facilities.

I've been doing it since September. It's about $10k as well.

I've found the course to be very interesting and has so far been very worthwhile.

The only downside is that there is a major amount of reading and self study.

A lot time is spent reading various materials that are sent out.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sparkatrician
Hi Adrian

If it's any interest to you I am currently undertaking the EITs Advanced Diploma in E&I Engineering for O&G Facilities.

I've been doing it since September. It's about $10k as well.

I've found the course to be very interesting and has so far been very worthwhile.

The only downside is that there is a major amount of reading and self study.

A lot time is spent reading various materials that are sent out.
I have a friend who is doing that course too and he said the same thing about it.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the course every week on average?
What do you expect to achieve careerwise when you have completed the course?
Thanks

Adrian.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

I probably spend about 6-10hrs a week depending on what we've covered and what else has been happening in my life!.

I'm doing the course as I work as a controls engineer in the CSG and Water Treatment industries.

I've found working on the O&G projects it's very much a niche industry and I wanted to understand philosopshy behind the processes they employ.

I've come across a lot of things that are very much O&G specific that you don't really see anywhere else in other industries

It's all very well writing code that does x,y,z but I wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

I also considered an online degree with USQ in instrumentation and control but I felt I'd spent to long out of fulltime education. I'm hoping doing the advanced diploma for the next 18 months will help as stepping stone to eventually gaining a degree. Hopefully then I'll have the parchment to go with my job title rather than just a trade certificate and a few years of hard graft and experience as one man automation and controls contractor back when I was back in the UK.

Career wise I don't think the course will improve my prospects that much but from a personal perspective it has been very valuable just in advancing my own knowledge.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

I have decided to do a professional certificate in Instrumentation, automation and process control through EIT to ease myself into it before considering splashing out on the advanced diploma. Its a 3 month online course. I don't expect it to open many doors in regards to a new career but it may help point me in the right direction.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Good luck mate

Let's us know how it goes and what you think of it!

PS I meant to add I have a mate who has just signed up for the adv dip in industrial automation , i'm interested in hearing his thoughts on that too given he already works in that field.

Last edited by sparkatrician; Feb 19th 2014 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sparkatrician
Good luck mate

Let's us know how it goes and what you think of it!

PS I meant to add I have a mate who has just signed up for the adv dip in industrial automation , i'm interested in hearing his thoughts on that too given he already works in that field.
Thanks mate. I will post an update when I am further into the course and I have decided if I want to do the advanced diploma in Instrumentation or Automation.