Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

UK qualified Electricians working in Australia

UK qualified Electricians working in Australia

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK qualified Electricians working in Australia

Originally Posted by steve`o
very few houses have floorboards most are built on a concrete slab
re lofts yep you vcan egt spiders etc up there just the same as i the uk

He could just do what the Aussies do, and feed the wires round the outside of the house instead
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:23 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
He could just do what the Aussies do, and feed the wires round the outside of the house instead
i thought they coiled them cowboy style and throw them in
clips what are clips
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i thought they coiled them cowboy style and throw them in
clips what are clips
You should see the wiring in my hous, it's terrible!. It's mostly clipped outside (yes there are clips, must have got a good sparky to do it ) then it's thrown in the ceiling any old way and comes down the inside of the walls.

We changed a light fitting, and the wires were: neutral and live connected to live in the fitting and the earth wire coming from the fitting was about 2 foot long and just thrown in to the ceiling - it wasn't connected to anything

All my plug sockets are falling off the wall and the light switches keep sparking when you turn them on.

I need a good sparky, do you know any?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

emmakc1977;

if your O/H does not have the required years of experience im sorry he wont be allowed on any Tafe (College) courses at all, he must have the ATRC 1st & produce that at the Tafe or he is not allowed to do the course sorry to say
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for your post.

We got our PR visa last October, and are hoping to move over in April. As I said before Si qualified in 2004. If he's not allowed to do a tafe course does that mean that he will have to start from the beginning and do the electrical course all over again?

Thanks.

Emma
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi, thanks for your post.

We got our PR visa last October, and are hoping to move over in April. As I said before Si qualified in 2004. If he's not allowed to do a tafe course does that mean that he will have to start from the beginning and do the electrical course all over again?

Thanks.

Emma
hi can you bring me up to speed have you got PR on Si`s qualifications ???
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, no he was a toolmaker before becoming an electrician so we got PR on his past occupation. We have until 2012 to actually move out - we had our visas stamped in April this year. I hope he doesn't have to start all over again and retrain as an electrican! He qualified in 2004 and is 16th edition and has testing and inspection.

Thanks.

Emma
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:47 pm
Worongary

Hi, no he was a toolmaker before becoming an electrician so we got PR on his past occupation. We have until 2012 to actually move out - we had our visas stamped in April this year. I hope he doesn't have to start all over again and retrain as an electrican! He qualified in 2004 and is 16th edition and has testing and inspection.

Thanks.

Emma
i take it since qualifying 2004 he`s been working as a spark if so i`d be applying to the tra for an artc as general electricain ,
he `s qualified wth 4 yrs experiance and post a quaification in testing and verification ( did he do the C&G240 ?? ) i cannot see why he wouldnt qualify
for the general electrican cert

have a read here and download the application form

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

as you`ve validated your visa your classed as an aussie resident
just put down the date you frist entered au and get the result posted to an au address,

once he has the artc document he can walk into any tafe and do an australian wiring course or if your still in the uk he can do the course via corrspondance and do the exam once he`s here and this will lead to getting a licence

regards steve
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi Steve,
He's done:

City & Guilds 2360 (16th Edition Electrical Installation Parts I & II ) and City & Guilds 2391 (Testing, Inspection & Certification of Electrical installations) and yes, he's been working as an electrician since January 2003 (he started as a trainee but not on a proper apprenticeship as he was taking the college course during the evenings). He actually qualified in 2004.

Thanks for all the info, I'll download that and get him to sign up - am I right in thinking that you can't do this from this country as I have to give an Australian address?

Thanks again.

Emma
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to say he's also been self employed since April 07 and is a NICEIC Domestic Installer - don't know if that will make any difference?

Emma
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

I've emailed them. I had a look at the webpage and it says that if you didn't do a formal apprenticeship (which he didn't) you need 7 years qualifications. Don't know if I said this before, but he started going to college in the evenings and was taken on by an electrical firm in January 2003 - he finished his 16th edition in 2004 and then went on to take the inspection and testing in 2006. He became a member of NICEIC in April 2007.

I've asked them to let me know what will happen if he doesn't have the full 7 years. It will only be six years this January and I really don't want to hang around in the UK for another 14 months!

Also, is a general electrician the best licence that a UK electrician can go for, does it mean you can work anywhere?

It's all so confusing!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:12 am
Worongary

I've emailed them. I had a look at the webpage and it says that if you didn't do a formal apprenticeship (which he didn't) you need 7 years qualifications. Don't know if I said this before, but he started going to college in the evenings and was taken on by an electrical firm in January 2003 - he finished his 16th edition in 2004 and then went on to take the inspection and testing in 2006. He became a member of NICEIC in April 2007.

I've asked them to let me know what will happen if he doesn't have the full 7 years. It will only be six years this January and I really don't want to hang around in the UK for another 14 months!

Also, is a general electrician the best licence that a UK electrician can go for, does it mean you can work anywhere?

It's all so confusing!!
what you need to get over is that he has formal training

if he went to college whilst learning the practicle side on site
thats formal training

youve said above that he was going to college at night the got taken on in 03how long then did the course take 3 yrs ???

have a quick count up as to how many hours he spent at college doing the 236

your trying to achive 900 hrs ( this can be massaged a little as know one realy knows how many times anyone attends college if your a little light i`d add an extra night ie the course ran two nights a week for 3 1/2 hrs each time over 3 yrs you would be able to put down over 900 hrs

i`ll tel you what did you have msn ???
if so i`ll pm you my msn addy and we`ll go through it quicker than posting on here
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:14 am
Worongary

Hi Steve,
He's done:

City & Guilds 2360 (16th Edition Electrical Installation Parts I & II ) and City & Guilds 2391 (Testing, Inspection & Certification of Electrical installations) and yes, he's been working as an electrician since January 2003 (he started as a trainee but not on a proper apprenticeship as he was taking the college course during the evenings). He actually qualified in 2004.

Thanks for all the info, I'll download that and get him to sign up - am I right in thinking that you can't do this from this country as I have to give an Australian address?

Thanks again.

Emma

yes use a mates address in oz
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:24 am
Worongary

Forgot to say he's also been self employed since April 07 and is a NICEIC Domestic Installer - don't know if that will make any difference?

Emma
yes it does it
this goes in q10 on the form and shows on going training and comitment
to the trade
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

witchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nice

Hi Steve, wonder if you could give us some much needed advice please. oh qualified electrician 16th edition, we have applied for a 175 may 08, obviously still waiting, but in the meantime want to get things sorted for when we arrive in Perth. We know he'll need a licence, but can you run through what we need to do, as he'll need to start work asap once we get there. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.