Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

UK electrician as spouse on 457 visa...

UK electrician as spouse on 457 visa...

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice
Default UK electrician as spouse on 457 visa...

Hello all,
Despite my searches can't find the answer to this one, will keep it as short as possible.

I'm secondary applicant on my wifes 457 visa for Oz (Melbourne). I'm qualified (15 years ago, now doing 17th edition, and 2391) experienced spark age 34.

Vetassess and TRA websites say that their route if for applicants under 'General Skilled Migration' - which doesn't cover me I think?

ARTC requires that I am locally assessed by LTC - local trades committee, who in turn require that I prove Australian residency / passport visa page.

If I'm correct the 457 is a letter that must be presented on our arrival in Oz?

My question: how can I get a job as a proper spark in OZ soon after arrival?

I have a friend with PR in Sydney if this helps in any way.

Thanks in advance, Sean.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrician as spouse on 457 visa...

Originally Posted by Sean101
Hello all,
Despite my searches can't find the answer to this one, will keep it as short as possible.

I'm secondary applicant on my wifes 457 visa for Oz (Melbourne). I'm qualified (15 years ago, now doing 17th edition, and 2391) experienced spark age 34.

Vetassess and TRA websites say that their route if for applicants under 'General Skilled Migration' - which doesn't cover me I think?

ARTC requires that I am locally assessed by LTC - local trades committee, who in turn require that I prove Australian residency / passport visa page.

If I'm correct the 457 is a letter that must be presented on our arrival in Oz?

My question: how can I get a job as a proper spark in OZ soon after arrival?

I have a friend with PR in Sydney if this helps in any way.

Thanks in advance, Sean.
Hi Sean,

You apply for an ARTC. A certified copy of the letter you received should be enough to satisfy the residency requirement.

Full details are here:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...9/Default.aspx

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Sean,

You apply for an ARTC. A certified copy of the letter you received should be enough to satisfy the residency requirement.

Full details are here:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/ForElectri...9/Default.aspx
Hi Wendy, and thank you very much for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Cheers, Sean.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Just an update for anyone reading this thread...

I have just had a phone call with Energy Safe Victoria (esv.vic.gov.au as mentioned by Wendy above) who have told me that the requirement for proof of passport visa in the application for trade recognition is a mistake/inaccuracy on the website which needs to be updated. I'm told that I can apply for assessment before any visa is issued, and that whatever the outcome I will not be able to be certified until the visa is issued. Hope this makes sense!

I asked the question, 'Will I need to do a practical skills assessment on arrival in Australia?'. I was told that this is dependant on the outcome of my assessment. Also, a lot of emphasis was put on my being able to provide certified copies of qualifications, statement of technical abilities and that having done my apprenticeship with a now defunct electricity board, and having been self-employed, I would need to state the extent of my ability to use certain pieces of equipment, work with motors / switchgear / testers.

I'm hoping that my 236 pt. 1 and 2 certs from 14 years ago will be seen as proof of apprenticeship? If anyone knows any different please post here!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update for anyone reading this thread...

I have just had a phone call with Energy Safe Victoria (esv.vic.gov.au as mentioned by Wendy above) who have told me that the requirement for proof of passport visa in the application for trade recognition is a mistake/inaccuracy on the website which needs to be updated. I'm told that I can apply for assessment before any visa is issued, and that whatever the outcome I will not be able to be certified until the visa is issued. Hope this makes sense!

I asked the question, 'Will I need to do a practical skills assessment on arrival in Australia?'. I was told that this is dependant on the outcome of my assessment. Also, a lot of emphasis was put on my being able to provide certified copies of qualifications, statement of technical abilities and that having done my apprenticeship with a now defunct electricity board, and having been self-employed, I would need to state the extent of my ability to use certain pieces of equipment, work with motors / switchgear / testers.

I'm hoping that my 236 pt. 1 and 2 certs from 14 years ago will be seen as proof of apprenticeship? If anyone knows any different please post here!
Did you do any day release work while you were studying? as far as I understand it they class that as an apprentiship. If the company have gone bust, then you may need to do a statutory declaration instead, or if you know anyone that used to work with you there in a senior role then ask them to help?.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:13 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi mate,

i came to oz on a 457 visa with my girlfriend. She is a nurse and got the sponsership. I to am a spark and all you need to do is do the ARTC, plenty of info on here about that and im sure Wendy will help you out.
Once we had confirmation of our 457 visa i sent my passport off in the uk, cant remember where but i think it was london and they put the visa in your passport so you can then scan it and send it with your ARTC application. I sent the ARTC application off around a month before we left for oz and the result came back a week before we left. You will need to give them your mates address in oz to have the result sent to.
Just make sure you put all the correct dates and information in your ARTC application, you will read a few horror story's on here at the moment of peolpe failing. Go to the far end of a fart with info and you shouldnt fail!

If you need to know anything else give me a shout.

Stu
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Did you do any day release work while you were studying? as far as I understand it they class that as an apprentiship. If the company have gone bust, then you may need to do a statutory declaration instead, or if you know anyone that used to work with you there in a senior role then ask them to help?.
Thanks again Wendy!

Yes, I did a mix of classroom and site. Problem is that the electricity company was privatised just as my apprenticeship was coming to a close, it went into meltdown as it lost its monopoly and the 20 or so apprentices who had just qualified were kept on but used as cheap labour in a bid to cut costs and win new contracts. This was failing, so many people including the bosses jumped ship, leaving us with the skills but no leadership. Since then I have been mostly self-employed, apart from a good spell with a local electrical company.

It seems that you are right about the 'statutory declaration' thingy. I've got my certs but don't think my final paperwork was ever issued. Presumably a 'statutory declaration' is a legal document where I guarantee details of my employment history?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stu:0
Hi mate,

i came to oz on a 457 visa with my girlfriend. She is a nurse and got the sponsership. I to am a spark and all you need to do is do the ARTC, plenty of info on here about that and im sure Wendy will help you out.
Once we had confirmation of our 457 visa i sent my passport off in the uk, cant remember where but i think it was london and they put the visa in your passport so you can then scan it and send it with your ARTC application. I sent the ARTC application off around a month before we left for oz and the result came back a week before we left. You will need to give them your mates address in oz to have the result sent to.
Just make sure you put all the correct dates and information in your ARTC application, you will read a few horror story's on here at the moment of peolpe failing. Go to the far end of a fart with info and you shouldnt fail!

If you need to know anything else give me a shout.

Stu
Nice one for that Stu, I will go over the top with my application. And I may well be in touch at some point for more pointers (my OH is a nurse too).

Cheers, Sean.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It seems that you are right about the 'statutory declaration' thingy. I've got my certs but don't think my final paperwork was ever issued. Presumably a 'statutory declaration' is a legal document where I guarantee details of my employment history?
Yes, it's a written statement declared to be true in the presence of an authorised witness, usually a solicitor.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:12 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice one for that Stu, I will go over the top with my application. And I may well be in touch at some point for more pointers (my OH is a nurse too).

Cheers, Sean.
No worries mate, can send you a copy of what i sent if you like.

Stu
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stu:0
No worries mate, can send you a copy of what i sent if you like.

Stu
Thats very generous, will pm you my email address. Thanks.