Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

UK Electrician looking to sit Red Seal exam in Canada

UK Electrician looking to sit Red Seal exam in Canada

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Lauterbrunnen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician looking to sit Red Seal exam in Canada

Hi Everyone,

I will arrive in Calgary on the 14th of April and will be looking to pick up some Electrical work. I am coming with a work permit through the International Experience Canada, which is valid for 1 year, I can then reapply for a second year. During this time I would like to sit the Interprovincial Red Seal exam. I understand that to sit the exam I have to apply to the AIT, showing my Electrical certificates here in the UK and also prove nearly 9000 hours of work, post apprenticeship by way of letters from previous employers. I have been a self-employed Approved Electrician here in Scotland for the past 8 years, working through agencies. I have all my certificates but am finding it difficult to get together proof of hours from companies. I am self-employed after all and not employed by these companies. I have contacted the agencies I worked through but they don't seem too helpful and I think any proof they do provide won't suffice. I did see a mention somewhere about preparing my own breakdown of hours and getting a solicitor to sign it, unsure about this though. I'm wondering how strict they are about the proving hours part and whether there is any way around this or any other kind of proof I could show, I do have all my payslips since I started working. Any help relating to this is hugely appreciated. Please help me get that Canadian dream

Thank you very much!