British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   TRA (headache) technical phone interview???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/tra-headache-technical-phone-interview-819019/)

mali_electrics Dec 23rd 2013 7:47 am

TRA (headache) technical phone interview????

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on what to prepare my self for a technical phone interview I'm waiting to receive from RTA.
This whole process is driving me crazy.
Do you know if they will ask much about transformers and motors. To be honest I don't have much idea on those. I know very little from the college back in UK.

Any advise will be great.

Thanks guys and have a nice Christmas

old.sparkles Dec 23rd 2013 10:44 am

Re: TRA (headache) technical phone interview????

Originally Posted by mali_electrics (Post 11048924)
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on what to prepare my self for a technical phone interview I'm waiting to receive from RTA.
This whole process is driving me crazy.
Do you know if they will ask much about transformers and motors. To be honest I don't have much idea on those. I know very little from the college back in UK.

Any advise will be great.

Thanks guys and have a nice Christmas

Are you applying for ARTC?

mali_electrics Dec 23rd 2013 11:03 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11049061)
Are you applying for ARTC?

Yes, I've send all the documents they require. Friday I got a letter saying that someone will contact me to arrange a technical phone interview.
Thanks for responding.

old.sparkles Dec 23rd 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mali_electrics (Post 11049075)
Yes, I've send all the documents they require. Friday I got a letter saying that someone will contact me to arrange a technical phone interview.
Thanks for responding.

You do realise an ARTC is not accepted for licensing in NSW - it is accepted in SA at the moment though.

Technical interview I did with Vic Uni was all based around safe working. There are bits on Vetassess threads about the theory side of OTSR which covers motors and things. You could also try looking at something like Eaton's online theory stuff - http://www.eaton.com/EN/Eaton/Produc...ries/index.htm or your local TAFE for cert 3 electrotechnology books (Jeffrey Hampson Trade Principles and Electrotechnology Practice is you can find them in a library)

mali_electrics Dec 23rd 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11049086)
You do realise an ARTC is not accepted for licensing in NSW - it is accepted in SA at the moment though.

Technical interview I did with Vic Uni was all based around safe working. There are bits on Vetassess threads about the theory side of OTSR which covers motors and things. You could also try looking at something like Eaton's online theory stuff - http://www.eaton.com/EN/Eaton/Produc...ries/index.htm or your local TAFE for cert 3 electrotechnology books (Jeffrey Hampson Trade Principles and Electrotechnology Practice is you can find them in a library)

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at the link you send me. If I get the ARTC then I will apply in SA for the license as I have done the peer course. Once I get SA license I've been told I can exchange it to NSW license.
Thanks for the info mate.

mali_electrics Dec 23rd 2013 7:12 pm

I have passed the peer exam so once I Get the ARTC I will apply for SA license and I've been told that I can exchange it to NSW. Thanks for your help, I'll have a look at the link you send.

Deyan Dec 26th 2013 9:10 pm

I had a technical interview over the phone back in 2011. Your answers to his questions will decide are you going to be electrical mechanic or electrical fitter.

They start with basic electrotechnology (ohms law, current carrying capacity of 2.5 mm2 cable, transformers) then about power factor and ways of correction of power factor, then about fluorescent lights (parts and what's purpose of each of them), then about motors (DC, AC, parts, troubleshooting - how to find faulty bearing without opening, how to change speed on AC motor, DOL, star-delta starter, how is connected START and how STOP switch, which one is NO and which one NC...), contactors and troubleshooting etc

You won't have a time to quickly find the answers in the book or on the internet during the interview. He is jumping from one question to another one. The best thing is to brush up your knowledge like I did (a bit of reading during the weekend) and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

mali_electrics Dec 27th 2013 12:35 am

Thanks Deyan, I guess I'll have to do bit of reading about motors and transformers. My knowledge in this section is not very good. I'll give it a go anyway.
Thanks

wateroz Jan 3rd 2014 4:12 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mali_electrics (Post 11049523)
Thanks mate, I'll have a look at the link you send me. If I get the ARTC then I will apply in SA for the license as I have done the peer course. Once I get SA license I've been told I can exchange it to NSW license.
Thanks for the info mate.

I'm going to follow the same pathway. ARTC + PEER, then SA licence. I thought I should get PEER first and then apply for ARTC. However, the PEER course can be done first according to your case obviously. I think it'd be a good idea to finish the course beforehand while waiting for TRA's assessment.

Are there any prerequisites for enrolling the peer course? Is distance learning available for some parts of the course?
Is this PEER VEET what and where you did the course with?

Thank you!

mali_electrics Jan 4th 2014 2:39 am

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 11060768)
I'm going to follow the same pathway. ARTC + PEER, then SA licence. I thought I should get PEER first and then apply for ARTC. However, the PEER course can be done first according to your case obviously. I think it'd be a good idea to finish the course beforehand while waiting for TRA's assessment.

Are there any prerequisites for enrolling the peer course? Is distance learning available for some parts of the course?
Is this PEER VEET what and where you did the course with?

Thank you!

The Peer course is quite intense but if you are good with studying it can be ok. The peer course is the same as doing the BS7671 in the UK just more exams and harder.
It's a 7 days course, 8 hours per day. I don't think distance learning is an option tho but you can ask them.
If you decide to do the peer course I would advise you to get the books and the folder before hand and do bit of study before you get there. It will make it much easier. There is not enough time to study while you there and they don't do much teaching. They tell you what to study in the morning and later on in the day you will have a 2 or 4 hours exam, 80% pass

Ariff Feb 6th 2014 1:54 pm

Hi mates !

this is my first msg here..I applied for assment in ATRC & waiting for phone interview. Any one esp from Perth recently done phone intervw & share his experience with me it wud be great.

old.sparkles Feb 6th 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ariff (Post 11116400)
Hi mates !

this is my first msg here..I applied for assment in ATRC & waiting for phone interview. Any one esp from Perth recently done phone intervw & share his experience with me it wud be great.

Not many people doing the interview Ariff as overseas skills assessments require practical exam. There are a few around who arrive on WHV so you may get lucky :)

mali_electrics Feb 6th 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ariff (Post 11116400)
Hi mates !

Here is a link with some of the questions they ask over the phone.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937

Additional questions:

1- explain the process from the beginning to the end of the job when renovating a house?

2- what is the advantages and disadvantages on the cage motor?

3- name the names of testers and what they do?

Ariff Feb 11th 2014 2:08 am

Thanks a lot to old.spark & mali_electric for the response.
Pls let me know is there any option whether i can avoid phone interview & go for written test in exchange.is ther any centre in perth for written test ?

old.sparkles Feb 11th 2014 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Ariff (Post 11123225)
Thanks a lot to old.spark & mali_electric for the response.
Pls let me know is there any option whether i can avoid phone interview & go for written test in exchange.is ther any centre in perth for written test ?

I don't think so - is there something worrying you? A particular area that we can help with?

wateroz Feb 11th 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mali_electrics (Post 11062039)
The Peer course is quite intense but if you are good with studying it can be ok. The peer course is the same as doing the BS7671 in the UK just more exams and harder.
It's a 7 days course, 8 hours per day. I don't think distance learning is an option tho but you can ask them.
If you decide to do the peer course I would advise you to get the books and the folder before hand and do bit of study before you get there. It will make it much easier. There is not enough time to study while you there and they don't do much teaching. They tell you what to study in the morning and later on in the day you will have a 2 or 4 hours exam, 80% pass

I recently contacted them but got an unexpected reply. I was told that applying for ARTC beforehand would be needed for doing the peer course. But I can't find this requirement anywhere else on their website. It's so weird.

Ariff Feb 12th 2014 2:08 am

old sparkles > nothing specific worrying me ..just need guidelines/ any specific book for phone interview prep. my home network coverage is very poor.so a bit scared whether I can understand him over the phone..any more inputs/QA for this prep will be highly appreciated.