Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

totally confused, is it all worth it?

totally confused, is it all worth it?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

dinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the rough
Default totally confused, is it all worth it?

hi all, when i finish college july 2010 and have my quals i was going to apply to emigrate, i belive as a general electrician thru vetasses which seems to cost a lot as the whole process does of course. i also hear that a long process awaits me in oz and of course more money, now i hear i may not even be able to get work when there, if anyone knows the answer's to my questions, correct application process etc i would be great full

thanks paul
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Frazer56754 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: totally confused, is it all worth it?

Hi Paul

When you have your qualifications you will need to have 4 years fully qualified experience before you can apply for the skilled route so you would have to wait until 2014 unfortunately.
If you have any close relatives i.e uncle, aunt you can go via family sponsor route and apply straight away.
Work is tight all over the world now not just UK and OZ, things will be booming again in a couple of years so dont be disheartened, just work hard at college now and get some good experience on site and worry about moving to OZ when you have 3 or 4 years qualified experience

Duncan
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi Buddy, You don't need 4 yrs qualified to apply. Check the vetassess web-site.Davy.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Frazer56754 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected things have changed since I done mine. Vetassess is the way forward. I done it through TRA.

Think you can apply on completion of apprenticeship now.
If you want to get your ARTC and go the peer route that will prob be the quickest way to get your OZ licence.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:02 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duncanross80
I stand corrected things have changed since I done mine. Vetassess is the way forward. I done it through TRA.

Think you can apply on completion of apprenticeship now.
If you want to get your ARTC and go the peer route that will prob be the quickest way to get your OZ licence.
i`d check with vettesses i`m sure you will need at least one yeasr post qualification to apply via vetts

now regarding gaining an artc --- your back to your original answer

ie you`ll need post qualification experiance to gain a artc
two years i believe

check out
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

clear as mud isnt it ???

regards steve
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

dinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the roughdinkytown91 is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys your answers seem to have cleared my head a little, however i am forty now so need to apply before 44 or lose points for my age on application, i'm considering joining edf as an advanced apprentice to train as a fitter or jointer does anyone think that will help me? paul
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

two years i believe

check out

clear as mud isnt it ???

regards steve[/QUOTE]

I didn't do an apprenticeship - qualified in july2006 - but reading the link to get ARTC I need "an appropriate overseas apprenticeship and work experience OR seven years in an electrical trade."
I have passed vetassess for my visa, can I get my ARTC with this or not.??
cheers Paul
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:06 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia

two years i believe

check out

clear as mud isnt it ???

regards steve
I didn't do an apprenticeship - qualified in july2006 - but reading the link to get ARTC I need "an appropriate overseas apprenticeship and work experience OR seven years in an electrical trade."
I have passed vetassess for my visa, can I get my ARTC with this or not.??
cheers Paul[/QUOTE]

probably not,
where abouts are you considering moving to ??
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

I was looking to settle in WA, probably.
Trying to keep my options open with all the current problems.
Is it the seven years experience or apprenticeship you think i'll not get the ARTC . Have C&G 2330,2381,2391..was hoping they would be enough.
Cheers Paul
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:56 pm
Worongary

I was looking to settle in WA, probably.
Trying to keep my options open with all the current problems.
Is it the seven years experience or apprenticeship you think i'll not get the ARTC . Have C&G 2330,2381,2391..was hoping they would be enough.
Cheers Paul
with the artc you`ll need seven years experiance or a formal appreticeship and a couple of years post qualification

you could argue that the courses you`ve completed where "formal" training whilst the practical was done on site, but you`ll need good employer references backing it up, and a well written breakdown of your training written to cover the points shown below, and to be honest a fair deal of good luck

points to cover

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers for that steve'o
It give's me something to pass the time while waiting for my visa,
Thanks Paul
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
Worongary

cheers for that steve'o
It give's me something to pass the time while waiting for my visa,
Thanks Paul
do a quick search in here several people inc myself have uploaded references and work experiances
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

BECCY.FR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinkytown91
thanks guys your answers seem to have cleared my head a little, however i am forty now so need to apply before 44 or lose points for my age on application, i'm considering joining edf as an advanced apprentice to train as a fitter or jointer does anyone think that will help me? paul
i applied to tra last year,in my app i had 13 years as an overhead linesman,i trained and worked for one of the regnal utility companies but as it didn't come with a bit of paper (as far as i know their is'nt such a thing within the industry) they just dismissed that experience on my app,luckily i have also spent just as long as a spark (but started my apprenticship when god's dog was a puppy) so unless you get more paper work i can't see as it will help,your best bet for a few more points is probably state sponsorship
chris
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

the course with edf comes with city and guilds 2322 so hopefully it may help, i guess they now i need the quals to apply to emigrate lol. thanks to everyone for the advice, just need to complete training then apply before i'm too old. regards paul