Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Technical Interview + Peer by next week!! Help!

Technical Interview + Peer by next week!! Help!

Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice
Default Technical Interview + Peer by next week!! Help!

G'day all...

I'm in Melbourne (5 k's from TRA). I submitted application for ARTC as electrical mechanic 3 weeks ago. Today I got a call from TRA, offering a Technical Interview due to insufficient evidence in my application. (Which included 19 years worth of certs from 236 to 17th and 2391, plus all syllabus material, statutory declaration due to self employment, and 3 pages on ability, plus written references, all witnessed by a Melbourne lawyer). No photos though Steve'O.

Response from TRA was fairly quick and friendly, but in order to get my interview results before the committee in time for Christmas, I need to take the one-hour interview in 3 days time by phone. And I'm rushed off my feet at work doing DC/AC electrical design. I've got 2 evenings to brush up. I've checked the BE threads but does anyone have any recent experience of the interview? Does this mean I can skip the practical (no mention of it in the letter)?

Also, does anyone have any news on the deadline for my trip to PEER? Theres no dates in their email for Wiring Rules exam in December (8/9 December is next week, any after that this year?), and the word on BE is that if not before Jan 1st then 1 year as fat old apprentice!

Thanks in advance... next bit below is info for new applicants facing Tech Interview.

TRA have told me that the tech interview will be on the following subjects:
* general electrical theory
* single and three phase wiring
* transformers (not robots in the skies)
* lighting / discharge lighting
* motors - 3ph / 1ph - star delta etc.
* Basic safety
* AC only - DC not covered

Cheers, Sean.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Jambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really nice
Default Re: Technical Interview + Peer by next week!! Help!

Hi Sean101

The link below was from a previous thread but dated 2007 so I'm not sure how relevant it is today. Maybe someone who has had a recent interview will help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937

You've got me worried now - I'm just about to send off my ARTC application, but I think I'll read it again and get writing a few more pages.
There's only so much you can write about though

Good luck in the interview & let us know how you went on (maybe post a few of the question to update link)
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sean, I was offered 8/9 or 15/16 December for my exam, don't know if they are the only dates but they were all that were offered when i asked if i could do it before christmas.
Dave
Originally Posted by Sean101 View Post
G'day all...

I'm in Melbourne (5 k's from TRA). I submitted application for ARTC as electrical mechanic 3 weeks ago. Today I got a call from TRA, offering a Technical Interview due to insufficient evidence in my application. (Which included 19 years worth of certs from 236 to 17th and 2391, plus all syllabus material, statutory declaration due to self employment, and 3 pages on ability, plus written references, all witnessed by a Melbourne lawyer). No photos though Steve'O.

Response from TRA was fairly quick and friendly, but in order to get my interview results before the committee in time for Christmas, I need to take the one-hour interview in 3 days time by phone. And I'm rushed off my feet at work doing DC/AC electrical design. I've got 2 evenings to brush up. I've checked the BE threads but does anyone have any recent experience of the interview? Does this mean I can skip the practical (no mention of it in the letter)?

Also, does anyone have any news on the deadline for my trip to PEER? Theres no dates in their email for Wiring Rules exam in December (8/9 December is next week, any after that this year?), and the word on BE is that if not before Jan 1st then 1 year as fat old apprentice!

Thanks in advance... next bit below is info for new applicants facing Tech Interview.

TRA have told me that the tech interview will be on the following subjects:
* general electrical theory
* single and three phase wiring
* transformers (not robots in the skies)
* lighting / discharge lighting
* motors - 3ph / 1ph - star delta etc.
* Basic safety
* AC only - DC not covered

Cheers, Sean.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hunt66 View Post
Hi Sean, I was offered 8/9 or 15/16 December for my exam, don't know if they are the only dates but they were all that were offered when i asked if i could do it before christmas.
Dave
Hi Dave,

It's just the 1 hour, 20 questions Technical Interview by phone, I was offered next day or 3 days time (in order to get it before committee by the end of the week, otherwise would be next year).

Cheers.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sean,
I was refering to peer, thought you were asking if any more dates in december.
Dave.
Hi Dave,

It's just the 1 hour, 20 questions Technical Interview by phone, I was offered next day or 3 days time (in order to get it before committee by the end of the week, otherwise would be next year).

Cheers.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
Hi Sean101

The link below was from a previous thread but dated 2007 so I'm not sure how relevant it is today. Maybe someone who has had a recent interview will help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937

You've got me worried now - I'm just about to send off my ARTC application, but I think I'll read it again and get writing a few more pages.
There's only so much you can write about though

Good luck in the interview & let us know how you went on (maybe post a few of the question to update link)
Hi Jambo,

Cheers for the link. I followed all the advice here on BE to avoid being classed as a fitter, I tripped up on not submitting my apprenticeship completion thingy (long gone, firm stopped existing 15 years ago). Also I was totally self employed so no employer references. Theres a good attachment on here somewhere about experience and tools etc, it was hard to find though. Will post update.

Sean.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sean,
I was refering to peer, thought you were asking if any more dates in december.
Dave.
Hi Dave...

Sorry, that is what I was asking! My head's fluxed. And great news too, that means I can concentrate on the interview instead of reading the 3000 Wiring Rules ready for Monday at PEER.

I spoke to PEER today about the new system for trades recognition, they told me that it will apply to people applying from overseas, I'm in Oz but am not going to risk it, Adelaide next week!

Thanks,

Sean
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Dave...

Sorry, that is what I was asking! My head's fluxed. And great news too, that means I can concentrate on the interview instead of reading the 3000 Wiring Rules ready for Monday at PEER.

I spoke to PEER today about the new system for trades recognition, they told me that it will apply to people applying from overseas, I'm in Oz but am not going to risk it, Adelaide next week!

Thanks,

Sean
Thought so, when are you going to peer then?, I'm going on 8/9
Dave
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Thought so, when are you going to peer then?, I'm going on 8/9
Dave
Well, if work let me I will pay on Friday, fly or drive on Sunday, collect the books Monday and do the revision / exam 8/9 - but we're mad busy on design this week so it could be the week after. I will post when all becomes clear, might see you there!

Cheers,

Sean.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Jambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really nice

Sean
How did the interview go and can you remember any of the questions.
Do they tell you there and then if you have passed etc?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
Sean
How did the interview go and can you remember any of the questions.
Do they tell you there and then if you have passed etc?
Hi Jambo,

The link you posted above was a good guide, pretty accurate but not 100%.

I got a notepad ready to write down the questions, and managed to write down the first few ().

After that my plan to record the questions failed I'm afraid - the questions were too long or tricky to write down while trying to think.

There were questions on general theory and wiring, motors, transformers - things like,
State the unit of electrical power
What are the three versions of ohms law,
What is the relationship between single and three phase power as a formula
What is the purpose of a fuse?
Factors to consider when sizing cable
How does an RCD work
Components in a fluro fitting
Purpose of ballast
Tests on a new circuit
Purpose of CPC
Few questions on motors,
How to reverse a 3 phase
Something on star delta
How to reverse a capacitor controlled single phase motor (I got this one wrong)
Describe a transformer

Thats about all I can remember. There were about 20 questions, I got one wrong, was lucky that I got a few on testing which I know a bit about. I was told that I had easily passed and recommendation would go to committee that I get an electrical mechanics license. The chap was relaxed and offered a minor degree of guidance when I stumbled but didn't put the answer on a plate. He sounded like he was choosing from a bank of questions. I would recommend any good spark to brush up on motors unless they have lots of experience in that area. Easy enough though if you know your onions!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

I also asked the chap at TRA about the new system of assessment, he said it only applies to sparks applying from overseas, and that I had no cause for concern already being in Oz.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sean101;

as somebody said on here its not that bad the interview.

There were questions on general theory and wiring, motors, transformers - things like,
State the unit of electrical power (watts)
What are the three versions of ohms law,(R,I,V)

What is the purpose of a fuse? (to melt the element of the fuse on a current overload)
Factors to consider when sizing cable (cable lenght, fuse or CB,Current demand)
How does an RCD work(current flowing through the active = current through neutral any earth leakage to earth trips RCD).

Tests on a new circuit (Insulation test + Resistance testing)
Purpose of CPC (to protect the conductors from overload)

How to reverse a 3 phase (Change 1 phase)

Describe a transformer (primary winding then secondary windings depending on coil ratio for secondary output voltage)
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus View Post
Sean101;

as somebody said on here its not that bad the interview.

State the unit of electrical power (watts)
What are the three versions of ohms law,(R,I,V)

What is the purpose of a fuse? (to melt the element of the fuse on a current overload)
Factors to consider when sizing cable (cable lenght, fuse or CB,Current demand)
How does an RCD work(current flowing through the active = current through neutral any earth leakage to earth trips RCD).

Tests on a new circuit (Insulation test + Resistance testing)
Purpose of CPC (to protect the conductors from overload)

How to reverse a 3 phase (Change 1 phase)

Describe a transformer (primary winding then secondary windings depending on coil ratio for secondary output voltage)
Hi Arthur - I already had the interview, and my ARTC is now in hand.

My answers to a few you have mentioned...

Ohms Law 3 ways: V=IR, I=V/R, R=V/I
Fuse purpose: to protect the conductors
Cable sizing: Length, volt drop, ambient temperature, install method, demand.
New circuit tests: Insulation resistance, CPC continuity, polarity, R1 R2 and Ze to get Zs, maybe RCD ramp test or I delta n series, Ipfc, physical check.
Purpose of CPC - to allow operation of protective device under earth fault conditions.

Cheers.