Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Systems Engineer moving to Oz.. hopefiully!!!

Systems Engineer moving to Oz.. hopefiully!!!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

RobD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Systems Engineer moving to Oz.. hopefiully!!!

I wonder if someone can help me? I am planning on applying for a skilled independent visa as advised by an agent. I have been advised to apply under the classification of Electrician (special class) as this best meets my qualifications, even though I'm not an electirician!

I have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering that I gained as an apprentice many years ago! and have worked in the control systems business ever since. Started as a wiremen building panels, some installation work, trained in the drawing office then designing control systems, PLC software, commissioning and have been a project engineer for past 3 years.

Have been told by the agent that I can't apply as an engineer as I don't have a degree so the elctrician classification seems to be the best that matches my qualifications. It seems that "electrician" covers anyone working with electrics!

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter? Am I just worrying unnecessarily? Is the visa application just based on qualifications alone or is experience taken into account? I know there are plenty of jobs advertised in Oz for PLC/DCS engineers so I’ll be OK when I get there.

cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice
Default Re: Systems Engineer moving to Oz.. hopefiully!!!

You can apply as an engineer with an HNC to Engineers Australia and your agent should have told you this!.

I am too am a time served spark but also have ONC/HNC Electrical Engineering along with my Electrical Installation SVQ's and City and Guilds.

I gained my skilled visa through an assessment made via Engineers Australia under the "Sydney Accord". HNC's gained before 2001 apply (or did when I got my visa) are accredited under the Sydney Accord as equivalent to a three year australian engineering degree.

I went down this route instead of TRA (Trade Rcognition Australia) to gain my visa as it was a lot quicker than the TRA process at the time (4 weeks).

Might be worth mentioning to your agent, but the rules may have changed!.

After gaining my visa I obtained Trade Recognition as an electrical mechanic (aussie name for installation spark) through TRA and recieved an Australian Trade Certificate for my sparky quals.

Might be worth mentioning this to your agent.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a word with the agent.

My only worry is that if I apply under the Electrician (Special Class) but my experience is as a Systems Engineer designing control systems with very little "hands-on" electrical work, the visa application will fail !! Or is the visa application done purely against qualifications?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:11 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey,

I have an HNC and I'm going down the special class route with Ian Harrop. Will look into this Sydney Accord option for when I get there though, will do me good methinks in getting a decent job!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Blimey,

I have an HNC and I'm going down the special class route with Ian Harrop. Will look into this Sydney Accord option for when I get there though, will do me good methinks in getting a decent job!
Rinkerdink, whats your current job and what will you do in Oz?
Also whats this "Sydney Accord" thingy?

Rob
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:31 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

currently working in building services, business critical in a management role. I hope to get a reasonably well paid industrial/ maintenance sparx role in Oz. Sydney Accord is a skills recognition agreement by the look of it.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Sorry I can't give you more info guys as it was a while since I did my visa application (2006). The only thing I knew at the time is that then only HNCs gained PRIOR to 2001 were applicable under the auspices of the Sydney Accord.

Again this all may have changed, I'm certain at one point I spoke to the Engineering Council UK who gave me some good advice on this. It may be worth speaking to them as well as Engineers Australia.

Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Davie cheers for the info.

I have a word with them.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow is on a distinguished road

Higher National awards
The academic requirement for IEng registration was raised in 1999 to Bachelor's degree level. With the exception of a small number of accredited HNC/HND courses listed on this Academic Course Accreditation Database (ACAD), whose accreditation extends beyond 1999, HNC/HND qualifications started September 1999 or later no longer satisfy the IEng registration requirement.

Holders of Higher National awards seeking recognition of their qualifications under the Sydney Accord for the purposes of migration whose qualifications do not appear on ACAD should apply for qualifications assessment using the assessment form available on our website ( http://www.engc.org.uk/Services/Sydn...ssessment.aspx). A copy of the certificate and transcript (which details the units completed in gaining the award) should be attached. Where a Higher National award satisfies the rules below a letter of attestation will be issued. Where a qualification does not satisfy the rules appropriate advice will be given.

The following rules apply:

EdExcel/BTEC/TEC/SCOTVEC/SCOTEC Engineering HD/HNDs started before September 1999 satisfy the academic requirements for IEng registration
BTEC/TEC HC/HNC courses in a specified engineering discipline started before September 1987 satisfy the academic requirements for IEng registration.
Scottish HC/HNC courses in a specified engineering discipline started before September 1989 satisfy the academic requirements for IEng registration.
The academic requirement for BTEC/TEC/EdExcel HNC courses started September 1987 onwards is a minimum of 8.0 H units (or level IV and V), including 1.0 H units project, 1.0 N/H or H units computing, and 1.0 Units N/H level (level III) mathematics. Where the candidate completed an ONC prior to the HNC, the mathematics requirement may have been satisfied in an ONC. The same applies to the computing requirement, and may be comprised of different units, e.g. computing for engineering, introduction to robotics, CAD, etc.
The academic requirement for SCOTVEC/SCOTEC/SQA HNC courses started September 1989 onwards is a minimum of 12.0 HN credits, including 1.5 HN credits Project, 1.5 NC credits mathematics at the level of M2, and 1.5 NC credits computing. The computing requirement may be comprised of different units, e.g. computing for engineering, introduction to robotics, CAD, etc.
Where a Higher National qualification does not satisfy the profile, the missing units required to satisfy the profile may be taken, but if completed after September 1999 would require further learning to ordinary bachelor degree level to be completed.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow is on a distinguished road

Guys,
I have been going down the TRA route special class, at the same time I have been looking at getting credited as Ieng through The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, I don't know all the ins and outs yet and have only just realized from reading the above posts that this could maybe be a second option for migration.

To check if you qualify goto Engineers Australia

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...icklinks-2.cfm
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:13 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Originally Posted by Glasgow
Guys,
I have been going down the TRA route special class, at the same time I have been looking at getting credited as Ieng through The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, I don't know all the ins and outs yet and have only just realized from reading the above posts that this could maybe be a second option for migration.

To check if you qualify goto Engineers Australia

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...icklinks-2.cfm
Well, I sent my Sydney Accord application of today, couldn't be any easier, complete the qualification assessment form (name, address etc) and send a copy of your certificate and notification of performance (which details the modules studied) pay them £57.50 and hope for the best! By the sounds of it you get a letter which acts as authentication for an engineer migration application. If this works I will be over the moon, need to wait around 30 days for result of assessment though . Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!

It's so easy it's got to be worth a punt for sake of £57.50!

Good luck (I found it all by typing Sydney Accord into Google)