Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Still Confused...What exactly do we have to do? (Perth)

Still Confused...What exactly do we have to do? (Perth)

Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:53 am
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still Confused...What exactly do we have to do? (Perth)

Hi guys

I've read, and reread all the threads here about how my OH can actually start working as an electrician when we arrive. Can someone please clarify - appreciate it's probably different by state.

with effect 1st July - can we get his C&G certs converted to ARTC whilst still in UK? (and how)

once we arrive - what does he need to do to work as electrician? Various threads about different courses, so slightly confused.

Seems so idiotic to have to get certs converted over, and then still got to redo a course/exam to prove you're capable ??!! Am I understanding this right?

Also presume there's some kind of waiting lists for these courses?

For those of you already through this, how long on average was it from arriving to actually being able to work? I'm imagining it could be quite a few months without any wages coming in,

Cheers (and sorry for being so stupid )

KAREN
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:24 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Confused...What exactly do we have to do? (Perth)

Originally Posted by kbdb
Hi guys

I've read, and reread all the threads here about how my OH can actually start working as an electrician when we arrive. Can someone please clarify - appreciate it's probably different by state.

with effect 1st July - can we get his C&G certs converted to ARTC whilst still in UK? (and how)

once we arrive - what does he need to do to work as electrician? Various threads about different courses, so slightly confused.

Seems so idiotic to have to get certs converted over, and then still got to redo a course/exam to prove you're capable ??!! Am I understanding this right?

For those of you already through this, how long on average was it from arriving to actually being able to work? I'm imagining it could be quite a few months without any wages coming in,

KAREN

karen firstly your not stupid
a girl perhaps but not stupid

yes it is bloody complicated as each state has its own criteria
so you need to speak to someone regarding the requirements for perth
that or try wendy as going to south australia seems to be the quickest way to sort this out

ps have you applied for the artc yet ??
wherever you go you will need this it can be applied for whilst inthye uk they will post out the application form to the uk but not the certificate so you will need a mates address for the certificate

if you need ay further help just ask

regards steve

link for artc

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi guys

KAREN
Have PM'd you
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all

We have put some info on today that may help.....
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a time consuming affair but you need to get the ARTC cert and a letter from Department Of Energy (DOE) prior to booking the exam, the TAFE will not give you an exam date without the letter from DOE.

Read some of the post's on here about the exam's Andy has just wrote another one, he is right about the time limit, so make sure you do the compulsory questions first. Also study up on the regs and basic electrical principles.

Some companies will take you on without your license but pay a reduced rate, check out Seek.com.au also for jobs.

As Steve O mentions apply for your license before you depart and use a friend’s address for the certificate to be posted to, at least that way you hit the ground running.

Best of luck Brian
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

get to ozz, contact energy safety, they will send you and ARTC application form, send that to ARTC, wait 2 months, then once you have it ARTC contact energy safety, they will send u a huge form to fill in, then they will assess you and 99% will send you to sit two exams, theory and practical, then u get your A grade.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brigall
It is a time consuming affair but you need to get the ARTC cert and a letter from Department Of Energy (DOE) prior to booking the exam, the TAFE will not give you an exam date without the letter from DOE.

Read some of the post's on here about the exam's Andy has just wrote another one, he is right about the time limit, so make sure you do the compulsory questions first. Also study up on the regs and basic electrical principles.

Some companies will take you on without your license but pay a reduced rate, check out Seek.com.au also for jobs.

As Steve O mentions apply for your license before you depart and use a friend’s address for the certificate to be posted to, at least that way you hit the ground running.

Best of luck Brian

The ARTC may ring up and vet you the energy service people will, so do nothing until you are resident in WA.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:09 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies (been away for a few days hols).

Was mention of possibly able to apply whilst overseas from July 1st so I intend to do some digging around this tonight. We don't know anyone over in Perth so we haven't got an address we could use anyway. So think we have to wait until in Perth before we apply for ARTC (unless they do change rules).

OH worried about exam now after reading Andy's post - he's definitelyl going to do some swotting up on regs etc.

I'm more concerned about the length of time it takes to get to A grade licence level, as OH will be main bread winner. Seems ludicrious you guys have got to go through this after going through the hoops of TRA to get visa.

Fingers crossed we can apply from UK to save a few months wait, then hopefully he can get a job (albeit reduced rate) whilst waiting to sit exam.

One last question : would you guys recommend sitting a course - or just go straight for exam?

Steve-O - you're right, I am a girl (hehe! made me chuckle) and I realise I have absolutely no business in this manly world of electricians !!!!

thanks for everyone's help so far,

KAREN
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies (been away for a few days hols).

Was mention of possibly able to apply whilst overseas from July 1st so I intend to do some digging around this tonight. We don't know anyone over in Perth so we haven't got an address we could use anyway. So think we have to wait until in Perth before we apply for ARTC (unless they do change rules).

OH worried about exam now after reading Andy's post - he's definitelyl going to do some swotting up on regs etc.

I'm more concerned about the length of time it takes to get to A grade licence level, as OH will be main bread winner. Seems ludicrious you guys have got to go through this after going through the hoops of TRA to get visa.

Fingers crossed we can apply from UK to save a few months wait, then hopefully he can get a job (albeit reduced rate) whilst waiting to sit exam.

One last question : would you guys recommend sitting a course - or just go straight for exam?

Steve-O - you're right, I am a girl (hehe! made me chuckle) and I realise I have absolutely no business in this manly world of electricians !!!!

thanks for everyone's help so far,

KAREN
Info on new assessments http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461401

I don't think you can apply if you already have your TRA assessment for migration. I also don't think it would be worth your while, as all it will give you is a certificate to get a provisional licence (which you can get with the ARTC). You would still need to apply to the TRA for the ARTC certificate, and you would still need to go through the same licencing process.

An easy and quicker way to get licenced is to come to South Australia first (or just your OH) for 4 weeks, sit the course here with PEER training ( www.peer.com.au ) which takes 4 weeks, you can then apply for a SA licence (with the exam pass, and an ARTC) and then swap it for a WA licence under the state mutual recognition.

It will cost you $510 for the course, and the ARTC is free if you have the pre-migration assessment, and $390 ish for the licence. All this will probably still be less than the VETASSES fee.

If you want any more info on SA licencing feel free to PM me and I'll reply tomorrow.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

As wendy says you cannot apply for your ARTC until you are in country, its exactly the same procedure you used for getting your first TRA acceptance so keep all your references, passport photos etc.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Jesus my heads spinning!!??

I thought you couldn't transfere a licence from Souf oz as when i suggested it before everyone said it wasn't possible (on another forum) but now you guys say i can. And i thought you could get your ARTC cert sent to an oz address while you are in the UK?

My plan is this so tell me if i've got it wrong

1> im doing artc at the mo (on whv so not done tra) getting refs and job descriptions on letter heads from all employers.

2>getting that sent to address in WA (what do i put for date arrived in country?)

3>then once i have that little baby (the cert) i'm going to book on a regs exam at swan or challenger tafe before i leave uk.

4>get to perth, sit the exam and hopefully pass (do i have to do a practical too and resus course?)

5> jog down to leederville and get me a sparkie licence

I need to get out workin double quick, i'm going to be very poor!! like a proper imigrant lol
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamiefrod

I thought you couldn't transfere a licence from Souf oz as when i suggested it before everyone said it wasn't possible (on another forum) but now you guys say i can. And i thought you could get your ARTC cert sent to an oz address while you are in the UK?

1> im doing artc at the mo (on whv so not done tra) getting refs and job descriptions on letter heads from all employers.

2>getting that sent to address in WA (what do i put for date arrived in country?)

3>then once i have that little baby (the cert) i'm going to book on a regs exam at swan or challenger tafe before i leave uk.

4>get to perth, sit the exam and hopefully pass (do i have to do a practical too and resus course?)

I need to get out workin double quick, i'm going to be very poor!! like a proper imigrant lol

Ok,

1) I dont think your applying for the ARTC now, I think your applying to be recognised as having a skill of merit, ie sparky, with the TRA, they send a letter saying you have those skills, I think this is where you are up to.

2) If it is in fact the ARTC you have applied for this is fine.

3) Once you have your ARTC you apply to the Energy Safety people for you A grade, they will want your ARTC and you fill in a form with all your certs and job references again, they will then grade you (mechanic or fitter), then they recommend what course you need to do by letter, this letter will tell you if you need to sit any exams, usually theory and practical.

4) You ring up a Tafe (college) and book your exam)

5) They then send you your A cert.

You can with your ARTC before you start your exams go for a temporary grade with energy safety which allows you to be an electricians mate, so you can start work almost straight away, not as much cash but if your poor enough to keep you on your feet.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Still Confused...What exactly do we have to do? (Perth)

Originally Posted by jamiefrod

Jamie, Calm down,

1 You can apply for ARTC without TRA mate has done it as he came across on his wife's visa.

2 Just put down date you are expected in the country

3 Once you have that little baby you still need to apply to Department Of Energy (DOE) before you can book on a regs course, phone them 08 9422 5282. Swan or Challenger TAFE will not book you on an exam until DOE has issued you a letter saying you are eligible to sit the exams. DOE will also issue you with an electrical licence number.

4 Practical exam is carried out first, as per one of my other posts.

5 Do not jog down to Leederville, you will be miles away from the DOE offices as they moved last year. Now situated at 303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington. WA 6107 Tel: 08 9422 5282.

Hope the above help clarify things a bit more.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:22 am
Just Joined

derek.jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The more i read the more confusing it all gets, I did my TRA a few months ago and it came back possitve, Just wanting to know for def what I should be doing next to make it all go smoothly, moving to Perth

1- I take it I won`t need this vetasses thing since I already have tra?

2- If i apply for the artc once in oz is it just a case of being issued with it since i`ve got the tra or is is lots of questions, forms to fill in and even more evidence to produce?

3- sit first aid and mouth to mouth course

4-Once artc is issued i can work as a sparks bitch on less money than him.

5- sit australian spark test written and practical, hopefully pass

6- be free to ply my trade with A- Grade card

I'm I quite close with this or way off the mark

please advise.

Cheers, Del from Edinburgh
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek.jo
Hi,

The more i read the more confusing it all gets, I did my TRA a few months ago and it came back possitve, Just wanting to know for def what I should be doing next to make it all go smoothly, moving to Perth

1- I take it I won`t need this vetasses thing since I already have tra?

2- If i apply for the artc once in oz is it just a case of being issued with it since i`ve got the tra or is is lots of questions, forms to fill in and even more evidence to produce?

3- sit first aid and mouth to mouth course

4-Once artc is issued i can work as a sparks bitch on less money than him.

5- sit australian spark test written and practical, hopefully pass

6- be free to ply my trade with A- Grade card

I'm I quite close with this or way off the mark

please advise.

Cheers, Del from Edinburgh

1 - No you don't need to apply to Vetassess

2 - It's a form, similar to the original one. You will need to re-submit everything you originally sent. You'll have to ring them to get one sent to you. http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

3 - (sorry, it's the mouth to mouth bit). But yes.

4 - Yes

5 - Yes

6 - Yes again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.