Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Sparks In Queensland Brisbane

Sparks In Queensland Brisbane

Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough
Default Sparks In Queensland Brisbane

Hi, I am an electrician with C & G part 1 + 2 and 16th edition. I am currently doing my C & G 2391 Test and Inspecting course. I have been in the trade for 17 years.I am in the process of emergrating to oz, I have just done my final stage of the medicals. Could someone please tell me if there is much work in Queens land Brisbane or any other coastal areas in Queensland. I know from reading other threads that I need an A class certificate to be unsupervised. I hope to get a job under supervision until I get an A class licence then hope to go self employed, thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sparks In Queensland Brisbane

Originally Posted by Graff
Hi, I am an electrician with C & G part 1 + 2 and 16th edition. I am currently doing my C & G 2391 Test and Inspecting course. I have been in the trade for 17 years.I am in the process of emergrating to oz, I have just done my final stage of the medicals. Could someone please tell me if there is much work in Queens land Brisbane or any other coastal areas in Queensland. I know from reading other threads that I need an A class certificate to be unsupervised. I hope to get a job under supervision until I get an A class licence then hope to go self employed, thanks for any advice.
hi there mate

first off loads off work once your licensed

secondly each state works like an individual country
so the A class thing you have read was probably for another dtate victoria i think

her in qld its either mechanic or fitter
mechanic -- installation electrician
fiiter -- maintainance electricain ( not allowed to work on fixed wiring )

have a look at

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

qld electrical safety office

and

http://www.qet.edu.au/

a local private company ( i`m using them at the mo ) who do licensing courses

quick overview

tra ( migration purposes only )

on arrival ( but i`d do it from the uk ) apply for the artc ( australian recognised trade certificate free to thoose that have a valid tra cert )
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

do cpr course ( has to be aussie again st johns or red cross about $80 )
do health and safty course ( blue card about $80)
apply to qld electrical safety office for licence ( carnt remeber how much that cost )
they will issue temp licenc to work suppervised whilst you complete an aussie wiring and testing course
do aussie wiring and testing course
two choices here wait for next course at tafe ( college ) which usually run 1 day or evening per week feb to august ( and you have to attend about 90% of classes )
or go private see qet link above

pass course

apply for full licence

after holding licence fo 1 year do another course ( contractors course more dosh )

and apply for electrical contactors licence ( more dosh )

there is another option to the first bit
fly to south australia and via peer another private company do a two week course get yourself an South Australia licence fly back and apply for a qld licnce under the recipical agreement between states

you would still have to wait a year to do the contractors bit but it would speed things up

phewww

any more questions ????

regards steve

Last edited by steve`o; Apr 14th 2007 at 6:31 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Steve, I have an agent at the moment who is sorting out my emergrating process. I had my skills assessment back and I am class as a General Electrician, I hope to go to Queensland preferably somewhere on the coast but the question is where? I hope to do the same as most rent and then when I feel settled buy a house. Is it hard to find work I.e. Under supervision until I get a license?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:24 pm
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

I have read this post with interest.

I have just passed the Migration assessment as Electrician special class I have worked in mining and industry as an Electrician, I have no domestic installation experience apart from the 16th edition course.

Whilst working in mining and industry I have carried out many installations and connecting of a wide variety of equipment up to 6,600 V.

I have also carried out maintainance, testing, commissioning, repairs and fault finding.

Any idea if someone in this position can achieve a ARTC as Elec mech or will I just get Elec Fitter.

Thanks

Mark
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:12 am
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by krunchynutt
I have read this post with interest.

I have just passed the Migration assessment as Electrician special class I have worked in mining and industry as an Electrician, I have no domestic installation experience apart from the 16th edition course.

Whilst working in mining and industry I have carried out many installations and connecting of a wide variety of equipment up to 6,600 V.

I have also carried out maintainance, testing, commissioning, repairs and fault finding.

Any idea if someone in this position can achieve a ARTC as Elec mech or will I just get Elec Fitter.

Thanks

Mark
I have just found the answer to my question on another post
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:18 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Is it hard to find work I.e. Under supervision until I get a license?
it can be as some employers are ignorant as to what constitutes "under supervision" they think ( wrongly ) that it means under constant supervision

taken from qld code of practise

Supervision means the overseeing of workers, including trainees and
apprentices, to ensure risks to people and property are eliminated or at
least minimised. While a supervisor may perform audits, auditing should
not be seen as interchangeable with supervision.
Supervision of electrical work includes:
✱ Health and safety matters;
✱ Statutory compliance e.g. what work an apprentice or restricted
electrical worker is permitted to perform;
✱ Technical aspects e.g. compliance with AS/NZS 3000; and
✱ Implementation of a safe system of work.
✱ Generally, the two distinct styles of supervision are described as:
✱ Direct supervision means supervision occurs at all times on a direct
and constant basis; and
General supervision means supervision where the worker does not
require the constant attendance of the supervisor.

CODE OF PRACTICE
E L E C T R I C A L W O R K E L E C T R I C A L S A F E T Y A C T 2 0 0 2
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

we as trained and experianced sparkies only need general supervison to comply with the code -- but try telling that to some of the employers

where abouts in the brisbane area are you heading for ???
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
it can be as some employers are ignorant as to what constitutes "under supervision" they think ( wrongly ) that it means under constant supervision

taken from qld code of practise

Supervision means the overseeing of workers, including trainees and
apprentices, to ensure risks to people and property are eliminated or at
least minimised. While a supervisor may perform audits, auditing should
not be seen as interchangeable with supervision.
Supervision of electrical work includes:
✱ Health and safety matters;
✱ Statutory compliance e.g. what work an apprentice or restricted
electrical worker is permitted to perform;
✱ Technical aspects e.g. compliance with AS/NZS 3000; and
✱ Implementation of a safe system of work.
✱ Generally, the two distinct styles of supervision are described as:
✱ Direct supervision means supervision occurs at all times on a direct
and constant basis; and
General supervision means supervision where the worker does not
require the constant attendance of the supervisor.

CODE OF PRACTICE
E L E C T R I C A L W O R K E L E C T R I C A L S A F E T Y A C T 2 0 0 2
ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE

we as trained and experianced sparkies only need general supervison to comply with the code -- but try telling that to some of the employers

where abouts in the brisbane area are you heading for ???
To be honest with you Steve I have'nt a clue. Over here in the U.K. I have been self employed as a sparks for a few years, only self employed as labour and doing price work etc. As I have my own van test gear steps etc, things have now changed on the building industry where if you work longer than 13 weeks for the same company just providing yourself and not buying the materials then you should be going on the books for that company. Its all to do with getting more tax and N. I. out off you. Anyway as the system in the U.k. P'ss me off.:curse: Currently Steve as said before I have not long taken my medicals at the final stage, once I have the go ahead I hope to sell up and come over to Queensland. As I take it you are from there can you give me any tips on what areas to go as to rent a property for now? I know it depends on how much and how many are in the family - theres me my wife and daughter aged 20. I will be coming over with an attitude of starting from the bottom and work my way up with a house and work.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:56 am
Worongary

To be honest with you Steve I have'nt a clue. Over here in the U.K. I have been self employed as a sparks for a few years, only self employed as labour and doing price work etc. As I have my own van test gear steps etc, things have now changed on the building industry where if you work longer than 13 weeks for the same company just providing yourself and not buying the materials then you should be going on the books for that company. Its all to do with getting more tax and N. I. out off you. Anyway as the system in the U.k. P'ss me off.:curse: Currently Steve as said before I have not long taken my medicals at the final stage, once I have the go ahead I hope to sell up and come over to Queensland. As I take it you are from there can you give me any tips on what areas to go as to rent a property for now? I know it depends on how much and how many are in the family - theres me my wife and daughter aged 20. I will be coming over with an attitude of starting from the bottom and work my way up with a house and work.
more than willing to help mate

just email me nearer the time that you expect to come over

regards steve

ps sent you my email address
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

ps sent you my email address[/QUOTE]

Will do. Thanks.