South Australia license

Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

dunkl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: South Australia license

Ahm, I don't know what the "name in which Authority is issued" is. Can you help? Maybe I should wait next week to send my application if you sending yours Thursday. You know if they receive both in a day, they could remember how much they hate immigrant sparks with SA licenses...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Hi,
Myself and my wife have recently been contemplating a permanent move to Australia. I've been horrified to read how difficult this move seems to be. Is New Zealand any easier?
I am a fully qualified electrician, having served my four year apprenticeship here in Ireland. I have one year's work experience in addition to this.
What are my best visa and licence options? How long can I expect this to take and how much can I expect this to cost? Our preferred locations, in order, are Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth.
I naively thought Australia was crying out for sparks and all I'd have to do was apply for a visa, maybe do a course for a couple of weeks, pass an exam, and work away. I'm shocked by what I've read. Please tell me it isn't so bad!!
My wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher in Ireland last year and is currently working as a teacher for her DIP/probation year. Is there any advantage to my prospects in naming her as the main applicant? I have heard that Primary Teachers are not on the shortage list but that Early Childhood Education is and she might qualify to teach that.
Any advice would be really appreciated. Feel absolutely lost now!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australia_bound
Hello, can someone give me a definitive answer on weather you can convert the South Australian electrical license, to other states. I have been told so many different stories. e.g. you can't get a W.A. license unless you have a artc graded as a mechanic, W.A. is not excepting south Australia licenses now, neither is Queensland, you need to do a capstone course to get the vic license, you can get the vic license now that peer have changed there course. a new national license is coming out. it isn't coming out. so much conflicting stories.. or maybe they all have some truth, would be nice if it was more black and white. there is a government website that you can check what license you can get from state to state and going by that the South Australian license is good to convert to any state? i have a friend who first got his South Australian license and now has a W.A. license and Qld license, not sure what order he got them in? does this matter? If one state wasn't excepting a South Australian license could you obtain another states license then apply? the South Australian route is by far the fastest, the W.A. 2 weeks course would be fine if you had 3-6 months time to wait on energy safe and a place on a course but time is money. thanks for any help.
Once your here you can do the PEER SA license then at this stage transfer to NSW (ONLY) as a restricted license until you do the NSW state xmas its as simple as that any other state wont accept your request for transfer of license. Ive been in touch with all states regarding this issue. The only reason NSW are now at this stage accepting a license from PEER in SA is that the waiting list for electrical courses in NSW is now massive. but that can change at any time so don't think its going to be like that forever.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Once your here you can do the PEER SA license then at this stage transfer to NSW (ONLY) as a restricted license until you do the NSW state xmas its as simple as that any other state wont accept your request for transfer of license. Ive been in touch with all states regarding this issue. The only reason NSW are now at this stage accepting a license from PEER in SA is that the waiting list for electrical courses in NSW is now massive. but that can change at any time so don't think its going to be like that forever.
How difficult is it to get work on a Restricted License. I'm at the start of the whole process and it looks like I'll have to do it the long (and expensive) way.

My main fear is spending more money than I have in getting to the Restricted License stage and then not being able to get the required year's work to get the A License.

For my situation, are some states better than others for getting this work? As long as I can live in a town that resembles some sort of modern civilisation, I'll work anywhere for that year. Long-term (after I get A License) I'd like to settle in or near one of the big cities, but that seems a long way off.

Where should I be targeting?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:08 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
How difficult is it to get work on a Restricted License. I'm at the start of the whole process and it looks like I'll have to do it the long (and expensive) way.

My main fear is spending more money than I have in getting to the Restricted License stage and then not being able to get the required year's work to get the A License.

For my situation, are some states better than others for getting this work? As long as I can live in a town that resembles some sort of modern civilisation, I'll work anywhere for that year. Long-term (after I get A License) I'd like to settle in or near one of the big cities, but that seems a long way off.

Where should I be targeting?
As it stands Adelaide, but don't worry about all this crap until you have your visa, the goal posts get move on a regular basis, there are rumours too. Until you have your visa or are close to it, it simply isn't worth stressing about all the changes or trying to keep up with it all.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Restricted? No one till now mentioned that it's restricted NSW license, I was really surprised actually when I've found out I can get a license in NSW, but I've missed "restricted" part. I should know better, to good to be true. Are you sure about that? If I wanted restricted license, it's easy to get it in Victoria, one exam, not really an exam, just a disconnect/reconnect properly.
Well, it's easy just if they like you, it's easier to fail without explanation actually.
Can someone who got it trough this way please confirm what license it is?

Last edited by dunkl; Nov 28th 2012 at 4:14 am.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunkl
Restricted? No one till now mentioned that it's restricted NSW license, I was really surprised actually when I've found out I can get a license in NSW, but I've missed "restricted" part. I should know better, to good to be true. Are you sure about that? If I wanted restricted license, it's easy to get it in Victoria, one exam, not really an exam, just a disconnect/reconnect properly.
Well, it's easy just if they like you, it's easier to fail without explanation actually.
Can someone who got it trough this way please confirm what license it is?
Mate, if you think that you only have to do the disconnect reconnect in VIC your in for a big surprise, if you going to do any exams in VIC you must 1st do the LEA look at EPIC website that's a massive exam. then 2nd you do the dis & reconnect exam. again if you stuff that exam its good night. where the hell did you get the idea all you need to do is the disconnect & reconnect in VIC that's simply wont happen.
if i was you i would be contacting Energy safe VIC & you shall find its not easy at all.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:50 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Once your here you can do the PEER SA license then at this stage transfer to NSW (ONLY) as a restricted license until you do the NSW state xmas its as simple as that any other state wont accept your request for transfer of license.
Really? It must have changed. I changed mine over to a full licence.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
As it stands Adelaide, but don't worry about all this crap until you have your visa, the goal posts get move on a regular basis, there are rumours too. Until you have your visa or are close to it, it simply isn't worth stressing about all the changes or trying to keep up with it all.
I kind of have to worry about all this crap, as it will decide whether or not this is all worth gambling our life savings on. I estimate that relocating to Australia is going to cost in excess of €10,000 so I'd really like an idea if I'm likely to get work when I arrive.

My decision really comes down to how difficult it is to get the required year's work on a Restricted License. If I can, then all of the money and effort will be more than worthwhile. If nobody is hiring sparks with these licenses, it seems like a very bad idea.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:18 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
I kind of have to worry about all this crap, as it will decide whether or not this is all worth gambling our life savings on. I estimate that relocating to Australia is going to cost in excess of €10,000 so I'd really like an idea if I'm likely to get work when I arrive.

My decision really comes down to how difficult it is to get the required year's work on a Restricted License. If I can, then all of the money and effort will be more than worthwhile. If nobody is hiring sparks with these licenses, it seems like a very bad idea.
My point is that for all the worrying, planning, financial weighing up you do now the situation is very likely to be different by the time you come to start the getting a licence. So as much as it feels like a responsible thing to do, the looking into the middle to distant future isn't that much use.

You are right it is a gamble but only you can decide if it's worth taking.

Once you have the visa nobody says you have to use it! It may seem like a waste of time and money to go through all that and not go but that is the most important decision in the whole process as far as i'm concerned, where you have to decide whether to jack in all you know, employment contacts and the support network that is your freinds and family all for a dream...

I wish you every success

Last edited by rinkerdink; Nov 28th 2012 at 7:23 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
My point is that for all the worrying, planning, financial weighing up you do now the situation is very likely to be different by the time you come to start the getting a licence. So as much as it feels like a responsible thing to do, the looking into the middle to distant future isn't that much use.

You are right it is a gamble but only you can decide if it's worth taking.

Once you have the visa nobody says you have to use it! It may seem like a waste of time and money to go through all that and not go but that is the most important decision in the whole process as far as i'm concerned, where you have to decide whether to jack in all you know, employment contacts and the support network that is your freinds and family all for a dream...

I wish you every success
Cheers mate, you're right. I'll just take it step by step.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Mate, if you think that you only have to do the disconnect reconnect in VIC your in for a big surprise, if you going to do any exams in VIC you must 1st do the LEA look at EPIC website that's a massive exam. then 2nd you do the dis & reconnect exam. again if you stuff that exam its good night. where the hell did you get the idea all you need to do is the disconnect & reconnect in VIC that's simply wont happen.
if i was you i would be contacting Energy safe VIC & you shall find its not easy at all.
Yea, what I think and what you think are obviously different things.
And I can see you think you're right and I'm wrong. I would leave it that way, but let's try to clear it for the sake of others maybe looking for that info...

Vic > Fitter TRA ->SWP -> Supervised License -> 1 year work -> LEA -> A license
With mechanic TRA you can skip supervised license and 1 year work, go straight for full LEA. LEA contains SWP, LET and LEP.

On SWP you just have to disconnect and reconnect appliance.

Now why would I call ESV if I already was there and why are you telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about?

You know, more get to know other OS sparkies here, more I think that you call Energy Safe too much. Every now and then they shut some doors for us and put some more requirements in the process. They might think we're just all stupid and useless.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:09 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunkl
Yea, what I think and what you think are obviously different things.
And I can see you think you're right and I'm wrong. I would leave it that way, but let's try to clear it for the sake of others maybe looking for that info...

Vic > Fitter TRA ->SWP -> Supervised License -> 1 year work -> LEA -> A license
With mechanic TRA you can skip supervised license and 1 year work, go straight for full LEA. LEA contains SWP, LET and LEP.

On SWP you just have to disconnect and reconnect appliance.

Now why would I call ESV if I already was there and why are you telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about?

You know, more get to know other OS sparkies here, more I think that you call Energy Safe too much. Every now and then they shut some doors for us and put some more requirements in the process. They might think we're just all stupid and useless.
Dunkl
have a go mate see if you can get the full license without doing the LEA if so then best of luck. im not being awful to you or anybody else i can say its a nightmare if you have already been to ESV what license have they given you or have you been to EPIC for any exams as i say i hope it works for you, if you think ive offended you please accept my apologies.

Arthur
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Dunkl
have a go mate see if you can get the full license without doing the LEA if so then best of luck. im not being awful to you or anybody else i can say its a nightmare if you have already been to ESV what license have they given you or have you been to EPIC for any exams as i say i hope it works for you, if you think ive offended you please accept my apologies.

Arthur
No mate, you're just not reading carefully. Not offended, and certainly not wishing to offend you, but here you're doing it again, misrepresenting my words.
We were talking about restricted license, you're talking about full. Please read again and say where have you read anything about getting a full lic. in Vic without LEA. I admit I was annoyed having to explain myself now without any need, but it's ok, people make mistakes.

Anyway, thanks Jock for that reply, Rink, I mailed app this morning;
... and I will let you all know what happens next.(just for the records) Ocean is too cold for swimming in Victoria anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.