British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   South Australia license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/south-australia-license-755716/)

australia_bound Apr 21st 2012 3:19 pm

South Australia license

Hello, can someone give me a definitive answer on weather you can convert the South Australian electrical license, to other states. I have been told so many different stories. e.g. you can't get a W.A. license unless you have a artc graded as a mechanic, W.A. is not excepting south Australia licenses now, neither is Queensland, you need to do a capstone course to get the vic license, you can get the vic license now that peer have changed there course. a new national license is coming out. it isn't coming out. so much conflicting stories.. or maybe they all have some truth, would be nice if it was more black and white. there is a government website that you can check what license you can get from state to state and going by that the South Australian license is good to convert to any state? i have a friend who first got his South Australian license and now has a W.A. license and Qld license, not sure what order he got them in? does this matter? If one state wasn't excepting a South Australian license could you obtain another states license then apply? the South Australian route is by far the fastest, the W.A. 2 weeks course would be fine if you had 3-6 months time to wait on energy safe and a place on a course but time is money. thanks for any help.

rinkerdink Apr 21st 2012 7:25 pm

Re: South Australia license

Originally Posted by australia_bound (Post 10018244)
Hello, can someone give me a definitive answer on weather you can convert the South Australian electrical license, to other states. I have been told so many different stories. e.g. you can't get a W.A. license unless you have a artc graded as a mechanic, W.A. is not excepting south Australia licenses now, neither is Queensland, you need to do a capstone course to get the vic license, you can get the vic license now that peer have changed there course. a new national license is coming out. it isn't coming out. so much conflicting stories.. or maybe they all have some truth, would be nice if it was more black and white. there is a government website that you can check what license you can get from state to state and going by that the South Australian license is good to convert to any state? i have a friend who first got his South Australian license and now has a W.A. license and Qld license, not sure what order he got them in? does this matter? If one state wasn't excepting a South Australian license could you obtain another states license then apply? the South Australian route is by far the fastest, the W.A. 2 weeks course would be fine if you had 3-6 months time to wait on energy safe and a place on a course but time is money. thanks for any help.

You have asked a good question, unfortunately there is not a definitive answer.

The SA licence should be good to work in any state and legally it is, fact is most employers apparently like a local state licence so the mutual agreement is kind of accademic. J

If you have a fitters artc then you can get an SA any electrical work licence via the peer route but you won't be able to convert this to a mechanics licence in qld, vic or wa for definite, not sure about the other states.

The national licencing is apparently coming in but it has recently been delayed until 2013, I would be surprised if it was shelved for a couple of reasons, the first being that a stare based system in today's world I'd just too retarded and archaic the second being that its a waste of resources and labour.

Jockstar Apr 22nd 2012 6:59 am

I can confirm that you can get a NSW licence under the mutual agreement. I know I've done it. It cost me $188

rinkerdink Apr 22nd 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 10019027)
I can confirm that you can get a NSW licence under the mutual agreement. I know I've done it. It cost me $188

Hi jockstar

How did you go about it? If I can do it from the uk I might give it a try, only had a fitters artc so it might be worth testing the water. All the jobs doing what I want to do say a qualified electrician would be an advantage so even a fitters licence in another state would be great. Only have SA electrical workers licence to carry out any electrical work so far.

Jockstar Apr 22nd 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 10019125)
Hi jockstar

How did you go about it? If I can do it from the uk I might give it a try, only had a fitters artc so it might be worth testing the water. All the jobs doing what I want to do say a qualified electrician would be an advantage so even a fitters licence in another state would be great. Only have SA electrical workers licence to carry out any electrical work so far.

Have a look here.

http://blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/l...ectrical_work/

rinkerdink Apr 22nd 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 10019209)

Thanks looks very straight forward, for your work history presumably you put in uk employer details. Will give it a bash I think. Can't see how there will be a problem as there doesn't seem to be the mechanic and fitter distinction.

I have been a bit confused by the absence of the word licence for nsw and SA licences but it's just what they call them?!

Thanks again

Jockstar Apr 23rd 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 10019428)
Thanks looks very straight forward, for your work history presumably you put in uk employer details. Will give it a bash I think. Can't see how there will be a problem as there doesn't seem to be the mechanic and fitter distinction.

I have been a bit confused by the absence of the word licence for nsw and SA licences but it's just what they call them?!

Thanks again

Yes mate. Its a bit strange. Can't actually remember what i put in the application. But since you already have a SA licence then its not much. I think.

rinkerdink Apr 26th 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 10020528)
Yes mate. Its a bit strange. Can't actually remember what i put in the application. But since you already have a SA licence then its not much. I think.

Just had a go, looks like it'll have to wait the, likeness need to be checked - it seems to me that you have to submit the application in person.

Oh well...

Jockstar Apr 27th 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 10027304)
Just had a go, looks like it'll have to wait the, likeness need to be checked - it seems to me that you have to submit the application in person.

Oh well...

I sent mine off. Are you sure you are filling out the right form?

Jockstar Apr 27th 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 10028144)
I sent mine off. Are you sure you are filling out the right form?

This one.
http://blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/_...63/ap4747a.pdf

rinkerdink Apr 27th 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 10028148)

I was using the wrong form, thanks,

This will be a little job for a godawful weekend in the uk

Thanks again

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 25th 2012 5:11 am

Aussie Bound:
i spoke to PEER only yesterday & they tell me that the SA license can now be transferred to NSW ONLY. the reason for this is in NSW the number of people waiting to get onto courses has gone through the roof so acceptance from PEER is now fine. all other states forget it.

as for the national transfer of license again forget it for another year or so at least apart from SA & NSW all other states are refusing to accept the new transfer license on OH&S (Load of Bollocks).

dunkl Nov 24th 2012 10:59 pm

Hello mates,
if some of you are still around, I'm about to apply for NSW with SA license (going into circles with nothing better to do) and I'm slightly confused with some of the facts, so if somebody can help me to see am I right...
Is the license I'm looking for "Qualified Supervisor, Electrical", am I looking for a fee in "Home building fees / Supervisor Certificate / Other" - 199$, on http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Ab...ding_fees.html ?
Aaaand, most confused me, I need JUST a copy of SA license? No zillion of other papers?! Sorry, one more, there is declaration on app form, and sign must be certified by Justice of Peace or other qualified person, can it be post office clerk (I live next to the post office) .

rinkerdink Nov 25th 2012 2:33 am

Originally Posted by dunkl (Post 10399695)
Hello mates,
if some of you are still around, I'm about to apply for NSW with SA license (going into circles with nothing better to do) and I'm slightly confused with some of the facts, so if somebody can help me to see am I right...
Is the license I'm looking for "Qualified Supervisor, Electrical", am I looking for a fee in "Home building fees / Supervisor Certificate / Other" - 199$, on http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Ab...ding_fees.html ?
Aaaand, most confused me, I need JUST a copy of SA license? No zillion of other papers?! Sorry, one more, there is declaration on app form, and sign must be certified by Justice of Peace or other qualified person, can it be post office clerk (I live next to the post office) .

Yes its the supervisor one (if working alone you supervise yourself)

but +1 for the rest of it! looking to see jp on thursday and send application off

dunkl Nov 25th 2012 8:50 am

Good :) I think having SA and NSW license will help me living just in between those two states. ;)