Seriously disheartened.....

Old Oct 27th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light
Default Seriously disheartened.....

At the start of the week I was really buzzing with the idea of going to live in Oz, now despite having 22 years experience & numerous qualifications, I will still need to become an apprentice to get a job in Oz.

Apparently they need 100,000 immigrant skilled workers by 2015. Well, all I can say is they aren't making it simple. I can't get a job because I haven't got an Electrical License, and I can't get a license, because without one, I CAN'T GET A JOB!!!

Old Oct 27th 2013, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Seriously disheartened.....

That said, I've still booked my vetassess slot for November.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nexsuperne
That said, I've still booked my vetassess slot for November.
There is work - it's just not straight forward
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:36 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

At the start of the week I was really buzzing with the idea of going to live in Oz, now despite having 22 years experience & numerous qualifications, I will still need to become an apprentice to get a job in Oz.

Apparently they need 100,000 immigrant skilled workers by 2015. Well, all I can say is they aren't making it simple. I can't get a job because I haven't got an Electrical License, and I can't get a license, because without one, I CAN'T GET A JOB!!!

If you really want to come then there are ways.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to sound too negative but I find it hard to find a job (as a maintenance sparky) even with the electrical license...
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Maybe you should consider changing your career to construction sparky. More job opportunities for sure.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

I'm going for it anyway. Even if it takes a year to get my license. I'm looking at working for an employer for just $10 an hour to get my logbook done, and study for my level IV as well to put me one above the competition. I have enough money to do that, and if I went to an employer and basically said I would work for beer tokens for a year, then that could be enough to get the logbook done. Once I have it, then with my level IV, I will straight off to the mines to recover what I lost in the first year. I will book my gap training from the UK for a week after I land, so that I can make maximum money here before going out to Oz.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

If only it was that easy! For people that arrived a few years ago it was and they now have history working for the right companies. You have about a 0.5% chance of walking into a mining job here now unless you know people who are on the site or have worked in an almost identical role in Australia. That's the way it is now.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deyan
Maybe you should consider changing your career to construction sparky. More job opportunities for sure.
I know that you're right. There are many more opportunities in construction but I'd much more prefer to continue in my more than 10 year career in industrial maintenance. I have a job now but it's kind of industrial and commercial installations and I can't say I'd enjoy it very much. But obviously better something than nothing..

Once I have it, then with my level IV, I will straight off to the mines to recover what I lost in the first year..
I don't want to discourage you but you may find it difficult to get into mining. I've tried the same but without previous experience and all those special courses it doesn't seem to be easy step..

Last edited by jimcz; Oct 29th 2013 at 2:27 pm.