Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

self employed artc questions.

self employed artc questions.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Jonroche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default self employed artc questions.

Right, on the artc aplication form, under the self employed headline it states:

You must provide a properly signed and witnessed Statutory Declaration detailing:
  • exact dates of self employment
  • the occupation and the nature and content of the tasks you performed
  • number of staff employed and their occupations.
  • your workshop setup and tools and equipment used

You must also provide statements on letterhead paper from:
  • your accountant or legal representative certifying the name and nature of your business, exact dates of self employment and the occupation.
  • three suppliers confirming the nature of your business, dates of trading periods and details of material and/or equipment purchased/supplied over a 12 month period.
  • three clients confirming full details and dates of the workcarried out over a 12 month period. plus
  • evidence of any trade licensing or registration and/or any other documentation that supports the existence and purpose of your business.

The problem im having is that although i am registered as self employed here in the uk, im not self employed as in running my own business, having an accountant, buying materials, employing staff etc.

All i do is sub-contract to big electrical firms and work for them. Its basically an easy way for companies to take people on when they have a lot of work, but can get rid of them easy without all the hassle of redundancy when work runs out, and also not have to pay holiday pay.

when i work for a company i send an invoice to them at the end of each week for a set amount and then they pay me a cheque. all the materials are provided by them etc and am working on big building sites with around 20-30 other sparks doing the same. then when they dont need us anymore they lay us off and you phone around companies until you find more work.

so on my artc application form i cant provide evidence of materials, statements from clients or accountants, name of my business etc as it says i should do if im self employed. But i could provide statements and contact details for employers ive worked for, as theyd be more than happy to describe the work ive carried out etc. But would it matter if ive not been technically "employed" by the company, just working for them on a self employed basis? and how would it look if over a 5 year period ive worked for around 10 different employers because of this?

im thinking i should just submit evidence as if ive been employed as i pretty much have been, but not sure if they would check and realise im actually registered as self employed.

surely someone is or has been in the same boat, as subcontracting is quite popular all over the uk i think.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice
Default Re: self employed artc questions.

I did the references the same as if i was an employee.

Write them all out yourself, ask your old employer to check if they are happy with it, then get them to print it out on headed paper and post it back to you.
This was the easiest way for me and i was surprised how quick the large firms sent the letters back.

So the reference started like this-
To whom it may concern (your name your address) worked for (electrical contractors name) from (date) to (date) as a sub contract electrician.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

I did the same and just put in my stat dec the dates o which I was self employed and got it signed by a solicitor.

Just try to get as many as possible it all helps, you wont get knocked back for putting to much info in.

They will have come across this situation before, like you say there are loads of us subbies.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

assume both of you were succesful in gettin the artc then? so they wont pull me for being registered as self employed but giving evidence as if ive been employed. thats good then
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

I am in the process of applying for my ARTC but had to do the same for my OSTR.

I will just do the same again.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cjgoodall
I did the same and just put in my stat dec the dates o which I was self employed and got it signed by a solicitor.

Just try to get as many as possible it all helps, you wont get knocked back for putting to much info in.

They will have come across this situation before, like you say there are loads of us subbies.
Hi Chris,
I've got at least 1/2 a dozen stat decs to write up.
Did you write them up yourself on ordinary A4 or do they have to be written on a form or a solicitor's letter headed paper and how much did your solicitor charge for this?
Cheers Derren
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

derren,

just write them up yourself and get them signed by any solicitor. I just went into one by a job I was on at dinner time and they charged me only a fiver.

I've sent you an email of the one I used for my vetassess application.

Have a look mail me back if you have any questions.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cjgoodall
derren,

just write them up yourself and get them signed by any solicitor. I just went into one by a job I was on at dinner time and they charged me only a fiver.

I've sent you an email of the one I used for my vetassess application.

Have a look mail me back if you have any questions.
Nice one Chris.
Cheers Derren
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

any chance of e-mailing me one across too? thanks
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Done it for you mate.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:54 am
Just Joined

phatweezel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the exact same position and had been searching for ages to get advice! Immi only seem to care about permanent employees! Could you mail me your example doc too? Many thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

sent it to you too.