British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Seeking advice - NSW sparky licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/seeking-advice-nsw-sparky-licence-757501/)

wateroz May 8th 2012 6:20 am

Seeking advice - NSW sparky licence

Hi there,

I've gone through many threads here but can't find a similar case as mine, so just hoping someone could give me some advice or point me the right direction. Here is my details.

I'm a licensed sparkie with about 8-yr related work experience in H.K.. I'm in NSW and wanna get an electrician licence here. From the guidelines of ARTC, it seems to be not eligible for me to get the licence through this path as I didn't complete any apprenticeship and the certificate of completion of apprenticeship. What I've got to prove my previous school qualification is just two pieces of a diploma and a bachelor degree, both are of electrical engineering.

I found a paragraph in the guidelines that might be a chance for me. But I don't really get the meaning of a point in the guidelines of ARTC:

3) according to guidelines adopted from time to time by Central Trades Committees satisfied a Skills Assessor who is an electrical tradesperson, or a non‐electrical Skills Assessor on the advice of a qualified electrical tradesperson, that the person:
a. has been employed for not less than 7 years on work ordinarily performed by an electrical tradesperson in that classification; and
b. is capable of performing the work of that classification in Australia.

Does that mean I should seek TAFE or RTO to assess my skill?

I'm wondering if anyone with/ without the similar exp. here could give me some advice regarding the best way to get the licence on my case.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!:)

wateroz May 10th 2012 1:34 am

Re: Seeking advice - NSW sparky licence

Any thought?

derren7 May 10th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by wateroz (Post 10051595)
Any thought?

Hi there,
You should be able to apply for an ARTC from thr TRA. It used to be clearly stated that if you haven' served a 4 year apprenticeship the you must be able to show at least 7 years experience in an electrical trade. Alongside your qualifications you must submit detailed references from your employer(s) confirming this, and any other documentation in support of your application.
It doesn't seem to be so well defined in the current guidelines so it may be worth giving the TRA a call/email to clarify.
Regards Derren

Lee Cassell Mar 29th 2013 12:59 am

How did you get on with the application? I am currently trying to get a NSW licence but it doesn't say anything about people trained overseas. I am an approved spark to UK JIB and have completed an apprenticeship and inspection and testing 2391-10. I also hold an ARTC graded as Electrical Mechanic. How would i get a licence through fair trading?? any advice or links to the guidelines would be awesome.

AVA2009 Mar 29th 2013 4:45 pm

think the best way would be to go to adelaide do the PEER course, apply for licence, when receive licence transfer to NSW. Apparantly NSW are more lenient than other states so you should be able to transfer your licence.

If anybody disagrees please correct me.

Lee Cassell Mar 29th 2013 10:58 pm

You see mate i am trying to get the WA licence as well as my job requires work in both states and since January they have brought in a 12 month log book for all ARTC sparks who get graded as Mechanic. Fitters dont even get recognised for a provisional licence now. I will have to get on the PEERs course and see if WA energy safety accept that i can convert an SA licence to WA and also with NSW. Have you heard anything after Jan this year as loads have changed inthe last few months. Put it this way, CET in Balcatta WA didn't even know Mechanics needed the log book and were still offering the ETL course until sparks were applying for their licences and being told they need to Cert III now....

wateroz Jun 21st 2013 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Lee Cassell (Post 10630099)
How did you get on with the application? I am currently trying to get a NSW licence but it doesn't say anything about people trained overseas. I am an approved spark to UK JIB and have completed an apprenticeship and inspection and testing 2391-10. I also hold an ARTC graded as Electrical Mechanic. How would i get a licence through fair trading?? any advice or links to the guidelines would be awesome.

It's getting harder this year. I talked to Fair Trading back and forth about the issue. At the very beginning, they advised me that getting Cert III and 1 year local work experience were enough for the licence, but at the end of the discussion Cert III plus completion of the 4-year apprenticeship were the final answer. Maybe you may try VTT for the trade cert. in electrical mechanic first.

Regarding the Cert. III, I thought there would be RPL available at TAFE as per the course info in their website. Actually, I had a discussion with one of the head teachers at TAFE before I enrolled in the electrician course and the answer was yes. RPL may be granted to eligible people. However, it was changed after the course started. There was no any RPL anymore but challenge tests for each subject that you want an exemption on are required instead. If you fail, you'd end up with doing the subjects again. I feel sort of being ripped off.