Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Scottish electrician in Lexington Kentucky

Scottish electrician in Lexington Kentucky

Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

pickups85 will become famous soon enough
Default Scottish electrician in Lexington Kentucky

Hi I'm a qualified Scottish electrician with 7 years experiance who has moved to Kentucky. My work permit should be here soon, wondering if anyone has any advice, info on employers, how to get a license, or any helpful contact details

Appreciate it
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scottish electrician in Lexington Kentucky

Hey up mate - I'm moving to CT in Feb 2011 - did you have any luck getting licenced? I hear the licence thing varies from state to state.

Good luck with the new 'regs'
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Hey up mate - I'm moving to CT in Feb 2011 - did you have any luck getting licenced? I hear the licence thing varies from state to state.

Good luck with the new 'regs'
i looked into it mate, still no work permit so not much i can do yet. In Kentucky you need 6 years proof of experience to sit the journeyman test and 8 years to sit the master electrician test. biggest pain in the arse i think will be different methods, they have aluminium conduit here that the bend with hand held benders like plumbers use for copper pipe, neutrals usually white, black and red for live, no earth (ground) colour, just bare copper etc... plus everythings in feet & inches and voltages are different: 120Volt standard but 240Volt for cookers, tumble dryers etc...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Thought it would be a pain - Look like you've really got to start from scratch with it all.

Guess it might be easier to start a business and get a US spark to do the work..

Much work about over there?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Thought it would be a pain - Look like you've really got to start from scratch with it all.

Guess it might be easier to start a business and get a US spark to do the work..

Much work about over there?
Much the same as the UK, getting offered 3 week contracts and that. Thinking about a Change of carreers
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a spark with 26 years experience and I'm moving to SE Ky later this year. Did you have any luck mate or did you decide on the change of career? To be honest I've been thinking that myself as it does seem like a lot of messing about and effectively starting from scratch.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kneeno
I'm a spark with 26 years experience and I'm moving to SE Ky later this year. Did you have any luck mate or did you decide on the change of career? To be honest I've been thinking that myself as it does seem like a lot of messing about and effectively starting from scratch.
well mate, i got my work permit/green card n that. Kentucky department of housing and buildings requires 6 years proof of experience to take the journeyman electrician exam or 8 years for the masters exam. you pay $100 to take the exam and then pay $90 for a two year license. I'm sitting the journeyman test next Wednesday, been studying the National Electrical Code for the exam. There's alot of different stuff, made-up words like "ampacity" which means current carrying capacity. Calculations are different, diversity factors are over complicated and they have alot of different types of systems 120V/240V single phase 208Y/120V 3phase 480/240V 3 phase etc...

If I could afford to go to college and do somethin else i would mate but for now i'm hoping i pass the exam and get a spark job
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that. Can I ask what you've been doing in the meantime? Like I said before I fancy a change of career if possible but no idea what I could (or am even qualified to ) do.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Scottish electrician in Lexington Kentucky

Originally Posted by Kneeno
Cheers for that. Can I ask what you've been doing in the meantime? Like I said before I fancy a change of career if possible but no idea what I could (or am even qualified to ) do.
I had a temp job at a factory over Xmas but that's it and even then they sad I wasn't qualified because I don't have a high school GED or diploma, obviously coz we don't get one in the UK, they wouldn't accept my certificates or electrical certificates because they didn't have the word "diploma" on them. I'm pretty sure they were just idiots who couldn't comprehend a different educational system. If all you ever did was electrical work then you're pretty much only qualified for entry level positions. Good luck mate, let me know how you get on

Also if there's anything you think I could help with once you get over here just send me a message, hopefully I'll be working by then

Last edited by pickups85; Jan 20th 2011 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Again thanks for that mate, interesting stuff. I'll be honest and admit I've no idea what jobs will be available for me when I do get over there but I do feel I'm ready for a change from sparking. Like you said that's all I've ever done, either working for someone or self-employed (last 10 years or so).

You never know I might get those 6 numbers up before I get over there lol.

Cheers for that offer for when I do get over there.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:50 am
Just Joined

sparkyinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

curious to why you are going to Kentucky of all the places in the states?

just wondering if you were a bit disillusioned with the work over there compared to home ...I find it seems to happen alot to aus/kiwi/uk sparkies going to nth america
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Speaking for myself it's because my wife is from there and that's where we chose to make our life together. When I do move there I've no issues with pursuing another career if there's something available that suits.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sparkyinoz
curious to why you are going to Kentucky of all the places in the states?

just wondering if you were a bit disillusioned with the work over there compared to home ...I find it seems to happen alot to aus/kiwi/uk sparkies going to nth america
my wife and son are from here also. can i ask why you feel you can judge other people's choices? this is an immigration forum, people wouldn't be on it if they stayed at home
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

sparkyinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pickups85
my wife and son are from here also. can i ask why you feel you can judge other people's choices? this is an immigration forum, people wouldn't be on it if they stayed at home
sorry if it came across that way! I was just wondering if there was an industry or something that was there that going off since there were a few people posting from there

not judging at all , sorry if it appeared that way
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sparkyinoz
sorry if it came across that way! I was just wondering if there was an industry or something that was there that going off since there were a few people posting from there

not judging at all , sorry if it appeared that way
Sorry for jumping the gun bud. As far as I'm aware there's no more work here than anywhere else, the town I live in does have a bit of commercial work but not many people are hiring